Why become a member? ×

MU Contracts

skywalker

Good Afternoon All

Can anyone tell me if MU contracts are normally used/enforceable outside the UK? We are in France.

We have a problem with a venue that has a long running dispute with another venue and have told us "if you play there we will cancel".

We are calling his bluff for the moment and have told him that his dispute is not our problem and we aren't going to be told where we can or can't play but any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks everyone for the information.

The only "contract" is an agreement on an e-mail detailing the date and the fee.

Whilst we would prefer not to lose the gig we have found out today that he has pulled similar tricks before. We will proceed with caution.

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' timestamp='1494518524' post='3296704']...
The only "contract" is an agreement on an e-mail detailing the date and the fee...
[/quote]

Such a 'contract' is worth less than a screenprint, I'd say, relying solely on good faith on both parties to be honoured. Only a mutually-signed document setting out all the relevant conditions (including retraction or cancellation terms...) would have any chance of redress, hence the benefit of using the MU standard contracts, at least as a starting point. Is it worth the hassle..? That depends on much on your part, as well as that of the venue.
I doubt that the venue concerned here is worth pursuing, personally.

[quote name='skywalker' timestamp='1494578981' post='3297054']...
Where are you based Douglas?
[/quote]

There's a clue in my User name: '33' is France, '53' is Mayenne, halfway between Le Mans and Rennes. Pop in for a cup of tea if you're in the region. B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1494581491' post='3297081']
There's a clue in my User name: '33' is France, '53' is Mayenne, halfway between Le Mans and Rennes. Pop in for a cup of tea if you're in the region. B)
[/quote]

Ah Ok. Should've worked that one out. Nice up there. Hope the music scene is busy and the gigs are good. We pass through from time to time on the way to the North West and past Le Mans on the motorway heading up to Ouistreham for the ferry.

The final upshot of all this is that the venue tried to replace us with a Guitar/Vocalist who is a guy we have worked with dozens of times and deps for us occasionally and is one of our best mates, he has turned them down and now they have no entertainment for one of their busiest events of the year. Tough s***.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments

Steve