Why become a member? ×

Would I regret using mdf?

Elfrasho

It's also more susceptible to moisture ingress and can bloom as a result. You can seal it with coats of PVA or similar but added to the reasons above it makes it not the best material. Bit of you have it and it's free then I suppose you can look at it from the point of view of why not? If the only thing you are using is time then you don't have too much to lose.

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1494156311' post='3293664']
Cheers guys, you've basically confirmed my own thoughts. Apart from cost (ie free) i don't think there's any benefit going mdf. It was a silly notion!
[/quote]

Well a benefit could be that there are no void spaces in MDF..... giving a much more consistency

• 4 weeks later...

MDF sounds better because of the extra mass, the lack of voids and the fact that it is less resonant than ply. However it is less tough, heavy and as has been said can't cope with moisture (beer at a gig) so isn't really practical for a gigging cab. If it is just for home practice go ahead.

I'd probably go for 12mm for a single 10, 15 will certainly be enough.