Why become a member? ×

Best time to announce leaving a band...

Cantdosleepy

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='316478' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:01 AM']Would you like me to announce it on stage for you?

Save you some hassle and it would be novel[/quote]

Seems you and The Funky One have similar branes....

Guess I have to tell them now, though. Would be poor form for them to be playing with another band who's bassist knew the score - like when a 'mate' is always tellingyou how he's going to break up with his girlfriend but never does so you're super-awkward around the whole situation.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='316493' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:14 AM']Seems you and The Funky One have similar branes....

Guess I have to tell them now, though. Would be poor form for them to be playing with another band who's bassist knew the score - like when a 'mate' is always tellingyou how he's going to break up with his girlfriend but never does so you're super-awkward around the whole situation.[/quote]

Don't worry about it, I won't say anything or probably even remember tbh.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='316514' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:37 AM']At the end.

I would go with it and say at the very end 'guys, I have decided that the next gig is gonna be my last'[/quote]

Not a bad idea, actually. Might be worth modifying it to something like "guys, I've been thinking over the last few weeks, and I have decided that the next gig is going to be my last."

S.P.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='316499' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:19 AM']Cool beans. Looking forward to Friday![/quote]
Just got an email from the promoter

"8pm - The Plan

8.45pm - Sal Filipelli

9.30pm - The Monotremes

10.15pm - The Winter Kicks "

8PM that is stupidly early, we should bug The Wonder Kicks get them to bring the backline :)

i would tell them whenever you can, whenevers comfortable, as long as you agree to do all the remaining gigs you've got booked,it sounds like a pretty amiable split, so if they decide to go on, you should probably help them audition a new bassist, that seems like the best way to do it if its an amiable split.

Having quit one of the bands a couple of months ago here is how it went.
I had decided to leave as the relationship between myself and guitarist, (HIS band!!!!), had deteriorated so that we were hardly talking. I decided to tell the band after 1 particular Gig, (out of respect for my other half who sold it), and also there was a 3 week break due to holidays etc . We were using a Dep drummer that night but I told our regular Drummer beforehand as I have the greatest of respect for him and we got on really well.
When I came to make my announcement the bloody guitarist pre-empted my announcement in the car park when we were loading by saying, "Stuart, I think we need to talk". My reply, "Well actually A..., I have decided to leave the band so not sure there is any point."
I said I would not drop them in it and would play any Gigs they wanted and help find a replacement.
Not heard a word since, (which suited me), other than from irate venue owners who haven't had their usual courtesy call before the Gig and "Where are the Posters!"

Edited by BassBunny

BassMunkee wins the thread.

Except, of course, it would be: stop, unplug bass, switch amp off, unplug amp, put amp and bass leads in bag, put bass in bag, put head in bag, zip up bass bag, put bassbag on shoulder, heft bass cab into arms, stumble off the stage. There would be complete silence for about twelve seconds after I stopped playing, then 'Mate, what're you doing?', then a punch to the back of the head.

I would say it also depends on the manner you're leaving the band. If you're just not capable anymore because of time etc it's best just to say it at the beginning of a practise. You can talk about it and if you want to you can still practise because I think it's nice to help your band out until they figured out what to do.

However if you're leaving because they're c**ts just email.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='316553' date='Oct 28 2008, 11:12 AM']Quit onstage, halfway through the 3rd song when everyone is rocking - (assumin you are that sort of band) - just stop, unplug, and leave.[/quote]

WaynePunkDude jumps up and finishes set to rapturous applause and gets the gig!

Best get the headline band to supply the backline though

[quote name='OldGit' post='317425' date='Oct 29 2008, 11:37 AM']WaynePunkDude jumps up and finishes set to rapturous applause and gets the gig!

Best get the headline band to supply the backline though[/quote]

More like WPD jumps up falls over everyone laughs, it happens at most gigs.

The headliners are bringing the backline and CDS is using my cab so he is primed for a quick get away

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='317310' date='Oct 29 2008, 10:16 AM']That's just harsh :huh: I hope my band don't start looking for a bass player who can play bass :)[/quote]
hehe you'll fine fine probably (not that I've heard you play) but you play ampeg :huh: they're not easily gonna replace you

I can at least be happy about one thing: they said it would be hard to replace me basswise

[quote name='OldGit' post='318841' date='Oct 31 2008, 10:07 AM']OK Plan B

Wayne and his band mates stand down the front during your spot wearing "Your bass player is leaving" T shirts ,,,[/quote]

Nice.

To further this tale of sedition and double talk....

So the bassist from this hypothetical band told the singer that we was thinking of hanging his bass up for a while. The singer said that the guitarist's been a bit iffy on the whole thing for a few weeks - don't think he can afford to keep hiring practice rooms etc. They decided that instead of having a practice next week, they'd have a pub session to discuss the hypothetical future.

Wayne'll be able to tell all y'all whether the tension onstage is visible.

But yeah, the two of us are sharing a bill this evening at the shooting star in Liverpool street - [url="http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub785.html"]Shooting star on fancyapint.com[/url]

It's free entry. Come and watch the (muted) fireworks! I'll be dressed as a skellington. It'll be good to get some 'chatters down...

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='318851' date='Oct 31 2008, 10:21 AM']Nice.

To further this tale of sedition and double talk....

So the bassist from this hypothetical band told the singer that we was thinking of hanging his bass up for a while. The singer said that the guitarist's been a bit iffy on the whole thing for a few weeks - don't think he can afford to keep hiring practice rooms etc. They decided that instead of having a practice next week, they'd have a pub session to discuss the hypothetical future.

Wayne'll be able to tell all y'all whether the tension onstage is visible.

But yeah, the two of us are sharing a bill this evening at the shooting star in Liverpool street - [url="http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub785.html"]Shooting star on fancyapint.com[/url]

It's free entry. Come and watch the (muted) fireworks! I'll be dressed as a skellington. It'll be good to get some 'chatters down...[/quote]

Just got in and I see what you mean CDS, nice meeting you and thanks for the emergency lend of a cab (damn that thing is light)

Shame you couldn't play :) I think the hypothetical situation could be getting closer?

Good night though costumes were great.

Edited by waynepunkdude

Guitarist's car broke down near bromley and he just went home.

Yep, the hypothetical became pretty actual last night. Had a chat with the singer and the drummer. Gonna have a pub session next week where we'll discuss the future of the band. I'll go tab my parts out this week and record the bass bits solo to help the new guy.

Lovely to meet you Wayne. Your setup sounded good - nice and punchy with excellent definition when you were doing those tidy little solo fills. Good stuff.