Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

A01CA306-448A-45A2-9688-B2787C260323.thumb.jpeg.e0aa7c2c7c00666f7bb5b68ea75bf235.jpegF0523ACA-2CA4-4B77-8D4A-35C338A3D8F8.thumb.jpeg.1895c5161b2af1129e8755aec4552774.jpeg16E5257E-336A-400F-9073-DEA8574A46C9.thumb.jpeg.36ecc4961f8ce12d6271161d7ef3e712.jpeg

Love those! If they relaunched them in a 4 and 5 string, in the same lovely colours as the new pacifica range, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

Just now, TRBboy said:

Love those! If they relaunched them in a 4 and 5 string, in the same lovely colours as the new pacifica range, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

The 5 crops up pretty often. Normally in an absolutely stunning blue.

Then pay for a respray 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

The 5 crops up pretty often. Normally in an absolutely stunning blue.

Then pay for a respray 😉

I'll be honest, I didn't even know they came in a 5! Will keep em peeled... 😃

10 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

6970FDDB-2523-4BF8-A213-27DFBDF8EE4F.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Are you currently completely Yammy BB devoid, for the first time in a while?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Are you currently completely Yammy BB devoid, for the first time in a while?

No, no, no, have my Pimped BBN5 as my backup bass, but it is just that and my new Sandberg now, I have trimmed right down! 

14 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

No, no, no, have my Pimped BBN5 as my backup bass, but it is just that and my new Sandberg now, I have trimmed right down! 

Ah yes, I forgot about your rather tasty pimped BBN5! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes, I forgot about your rather tasty pimped BBN5! 

I wouldn't say no to one of those 5 string Attitude Specials though! ^ 😁

I do keep watching out for things going on ebay too.... Even though I don't need them! There was a BB405 going pretty cheap, and a BB425... Managed to resist though! 

Just now, TRBboy said:

I wouldn't say no to one of those 5 string Attitude Specials though! ^ 😁

I do keep watching out for things going on ebay too.... Even though I don't need them! There was a BB405 going pretty cheap, and a BB425... Managed to resist though! 

So I tried an Attitude the same time as a BB NE2 a while back. Maybe it was store environment or the combo I was playing through, but I really didn't feel it with the Attitude, but the NE2 blew me away!

AndyT you had a couple of Attitudes and moved them on, if I remember right. What's your take on them?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So I tried an Attitude the same time as a BB NE2 a while back. Maybe it was store environment or the combo I was playing through, but I really didn't feel it with the Attitude, but the NE2 blew me away!

AndyT you had a couple of Attitudes and moved them on, if I remember right. What's your take on them?

I wish I hadn’t sold them...damn me and my silly behaviour...

• Like 1

I've just my sold my BBG5s, not very interesting I know but I've had it for over twenty years and it feels a bit weird not having it sat there in the rack. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I wish I hadn’t sold them...damn me and my silly behaviour...

So you really liked them? Well with the benefit of hindsight anyway.

1 minute ago, Maude said:

I've just my sold my BBG5s, not very interesting I know but I've had it for over twenty years and it feels a bit weird not having it sat there in the rack. 

Yeah, bit like parting with an old friend that you've shared happy memories with but haven't really spoken to for a while.

• Like 1

Exactly that. I just don't play fives anymore, even had a quick half an hour play on it and it kept tripping my fingers up not knowing what string I'm on. Muscle memory is a strange thing. 

That's me done with selling for the decade though. I've let one a decade go for the last thirty years 😁

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Exactly that. I just don't play fives anymore, even had a quick half an hour play on it and it kept tripping my fingers up not knowing what string I'm on. Muscle memory is a strange thing. 

That's me done with selling for the decade though. I've let one a decade go for the last thirty years 😁

So none in, one a decade out? How many you got left? 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

6970FDDB-2523-4BF8-A213-27DFBDF8EE4F.jpeg

Just ogling this pic again @AndyTravis (you've given me ideas now!), and when I zoom in it looks very much like those are the same pickups as the TRB5P.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

So none in, one a decade out? How many you got left? 😉

I don't think I'm going to run out 😁

Only one Yamaha now though, but that's my never to be sold Bex4. I love that bass. 😊

Weirdly I've just realised that the only three basses I've ever sold have all been Yamahas, yet I love Yamahas. 🤔

Question for the group: BB300 1981 model, would it be made in Japan or made in Taiwan? I THINK ones this early were Japanese? 

Thanks

Interesting item in the FS: I guess this is technically a "BB" albeit not a Yamaha one. But there are a number signature styling features from the body shape to the body through stringing. Fact that it's neck through and in white doesn't help on the GAS front either!

On 21/07/2020 at 09:13, TRBboy said:

Question for the group: BB300 1981 model, would it be made in Japan or made in Taiwan? I THINK ones this early were Japanese? 

Thanks

Dunno if this might help?

https://www.yamaha.com/yamahaguitars/ElectricandBassGuitarSerialNumberSystems.pdf

• Like 1

Question for the current or ex owners of the Yamaha bbp34: is the bass balance? 

Comparing my bb734a with a fender AO Precision I've found that the former is way more balance and the latter, and because of that I enjoy play the yammy a lot more. Also I've finally realized that the sound of a pj is "my sound", so I'm thinking about selling the P bass and buy the p34.

1 hour ago, Corto14 said:

Comparing my bb734a with a fender AO Precision I've found that the former is way more balance and the latter, and because of that I enjoy play the yammy a lot more. Also I've finally realized that the sound of a pj is "my sound", so I'm thinking about selling the P bass and buy the p34.

I know you're selling your P34 @dave_bass5, but I also know you always give a super honest opinion including "warts and all" when it's appropriate to do so! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Corto14 said:

Do you mean tone or how it hangs?

I find its really comfortable to play standing up. Although its not the lightest bass i have it just feels right when strapped on.  Its a bit weighty, which i find helps keep the neck where it’s supposed to be, and ive never had any neck dive, not even a hint of it when not holding the neck. Its just so comfortable to play once strapped on. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your feedback 

yes, I mean in terms of how it hangs and weight distribution 

I’d contacted a reseller to know the availability of the p34, so I’m waiting his email. A music shop told me that Fender, Yamaha and Ibanez have no instruments in stock due to the enormous orders made after the lockdown 

10 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Thanks for your feedback 

yes, I mean in terms of how it hangs and weight distribution 

I’d contacted a reseller to know the availability of the p34, so I’m waiting his email. A music shop told me that Fender, Yamaha and Ibanez have no instruments in stock due to the enormous orders made after the lockdown 

If you have a 734 you wont find a P34 a big update. I’d say the 734 is much better value.

Not that I’m putting the P34 down, i just dont buy in to the made in Japan superiority thing for more money these days, and the magical way they treat the wood...who can tell if its worth paying extra for. Once you’ve owned the bass for a couple of years (maybe) i doubt the advantage would still be there.

Still, its a nice simple bass that doesn’t seem to have any flaws, other than a bit in the heavy  side compared to some others. 

Posted (edited)

I agree with you, no doubt that the 734a has a better value, overall. In my modest opinion it shines over my AO precision, which cost more that twice the price.
In general, I do not see great difference even with a Sire v7, which cost 1/3.

The only reason why I wanna spend all that money is...well maybe vanity. 

Also, no problem with the weight if it’s balanced, I play sitting down so for me the balance and comfort is a key feature 

Edited by Corto14