Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

34 minutes ago, tom.android said:

Got my lovely, immaculate, caramel 1024 from Bassbros for £600 and that included a hard case and a fresh set of cobalt flats.

Don’t disregard the 414. Easy to find and the biggest bargain in the second hand bass world. I used to own a 424 but I’d pick a 414 every time, having tried both. Perfectly balanced, slimmer neck, lighter, same pickups. 

What does the 414 has that the 424 doesn't?? I've always seen the 424 as an upgrade. I was after one in white, but I got the chance to get a 414 in orange (my favourite colour) so I pulled the trigger. Very happy with it. Amazing tone. A little bit heavy, but worth it.

3 minutes ago, tom.android said:

My BB obsession is approaching some kind of monomania. This thread is partly responsible.

Currently own:

735a

Used to own:

Incoming:

G5s

I own a 735, 605 and a 414. But I really want a G5s...

20 minutes ago, tom.android said:

Incoming: G5s

16 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I really want a G5s...

The G5S is an absolute steal of a bass. A far better bass than its monetary value would imply. 

I bought one brand new in '99 as my second' real' bass and sold it last year. I went back to four strings ten years ago but couldn't bring myself to sell it as it was so nice. In the end it was just rediculous keeping a bass that was never played. 

It's for sale again on facebook if anyone's interested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I've been thinking of buying a spare Yamaha BB for when I'm feeling tooo precious about taking my vintage BBs out on the road. The recent chat about the 10 series has made think about the BB 1024... what do they go for these days on the second hand market 🤔??

There's a white 1024x on facebook marketplace but it's in N. Ireland. £600

I sold mine in the the summer, listed for £500 and took £450, as that's what I paid for it. 

I still wish I had it but needed funds for my Eastwood. 

• Like 1

Just now, Maude said:

There's a white 1024x on facebook marketplace but it's in N. Ireland. £600

I sold mine in the the summer, listed for £500 and took £450, as that's what I paid for it. 

I still wish I had it but needed funds for my Eastwood. 

I'm not really keen on white basses tbh, but thank you... I'm going to hold out for a sunburst. Was it a Hooky Eastwood??

8 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I'm not really keen on white basses tbh, but thank you... I'm going to hold out for a sunburst. Was it a Hooky Eastwood??

Ah see I much prefer the white ones, it's good that we all like different things though. 

Yes it was a Hooky6, the Fac51 one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom.android said:

I’ve been after a 605 for a while but stars are yet to align on the right price, location and finish. 

Assuming BBG5s deal comes good will report back.

Is the BBG5S from facebook marketplace? 

7 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I was tempted by the Fac51 ...  but felt I'd be tooo precious about it to play it.

I know exactly what you mean. I didn't want the Fac51 for that reason, but I couldn't find a standard one second hand. I was going to order a new one and then managed to pick up the Fac51 used for less than a new standard one. 

So money wise it owes me less than a standard one would've, but I still have feel like I have to be extra care full with it as it's so rare, it's stupid but that's the human condition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I've been thinking of buying a spare Yamaha BB for when I'm feeling tooo precious about taking my vintage BBs out on the road. The recent chat about the 10 series has made think about the BB 1024... what do they go for these days on the second hand market 🤔??

About £600 👍

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigJHW said:

gah.. bass has been delivered - why do i have to be at work?!?!?!?!

ah well something to look forward too when i get home - then i'm officially part of the BB club :)

1025, right? I sometimes wish my 735a sounded like my 1024. 1025 should be absolutely storming. 

To be fair to the 735a it sounds exactly like what I wanted it to at the time: like a good P with a 5th string. Recorded it was indistinguishable from my old Japanese 62RI.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tom.android said:

1025, right? I sometimes wish my 735a sounded like my 1024. 1025 should be absolutely storming. 

To be fair to the 735a it sounds exactly like what I wanted it to at the time: like a good P with a 5th string. Recorded it was indistinguishable from my old Japanese 62RI.

Indeed a 1025 (not the 1025X - tho until recently i didn't know there was a difference)
i almost bought the 735a in black cause it's "newer" and has the active preamp - but honestly i don't need it
Maybe next time :)

1 minute ago, BigJHW said:

Indeed a 1025 (not the 1025X - tho until recently i didn't know there was a difference)
i almost bought the 735a in black cause it's "newer" and has the active preamp - but honestly i don't need it
Maybe next time :)

Just a pickguard and a metal plate is the only difference. Cosmetics only. A matter of taste. I prefer without.

I prefer using active basses for function gigs because generally there’s no sound engineer and I want to have control of my low end, mostly. Without having to crouch down and fiddle with pedals. Otherwise I much prefer passive basses, in general.

Image from the Bass Gallery website - but only cause i can't find a suitable place to take a picture at home but 

It's HERE WOOOOOOOOOO and boy does it sound good even through the cheap old Thomann practice amp i have in the lounge

image.thumb.png.e55c8f420074121d171b82f57fe7ebeb.png

getting up the studio tomorrow so i'll push it through the Barefaced 212T and get a real feel for it.

Oooo i think I might have a problem coming with buying new basses lol

• Like 9