Why become a member? ×

Modulus Flea (Randy Hope-Taylor) sell lane poors separate?

Sean.Robinson

Hi ive posted this in the general bass discussion but i dont know if this section is more relevant.

I dont know if everyone has seen the flea bass im selling on ebay and on here:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=160293054576"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=160293054576[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29309"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29309[/url]

but ive had an interesting offer from america from a guy offering to buy the lane poor pickups for £400.

Does anyone think this would be the best option, then sell the bass with say a pair of seymour duncans, or would it be more profitable to sell the bass intact?

Also how much would a pair of seymour duncan replacements cost, im guessing off ebay around £100 intotal?

Thanks for any input.

Sean

Funny when I first saw this bass I'd thought of doing the exact same thing, buy, gut, sell (then I counted the coppers and realised I couldn't afford it!). It's really down to you. If it were me I'd have changed the pickups already and keep the bass. I'd go for Nordies rather than SDs though.

I'm assuming you haven't had too much interest in it as a whole?

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='313205' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:51 PM']Shame really. You tried advertising on TB? That bass looks too interesting to be gutted out, imo, but do what you must do.[/quote]

Hi, i don't really like the principle of talk bass where they charge you to list your bass on what is supposed a community, id love not to gut it, i feel a little guilty thinking of it really, but it doesnt look like anyone is interested in it on here along with everyone going through financially difficult times at the moment.

I thought about doing almost the same thing as it happens :huh:

Well, kind of - I was going to take the Lane Poors & stick them in a custom build Sei bass.

I think without the Lane Poors it would be harder to sell from an RHT perspective. It would become a Flea with RHT [i]association[/i] rather than the one that he took around the world with Jeff Beck. However, having said that, a Flea with 2 x Duncans or Barts etc + £400 might be worth more than the bass as it stands.

Difficult call really - worst case example would that it'd fetch £1,200 as it stands or £900 as a basic twin pickup Flea. On that basis you'd have the hassle of sourcing & fitting the pickups & not making any cash gain :)

Maybe sell something else now & hang on until the market picks up a bit?

[quote name='molan' post='313217' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:06 PM']I thought about doing almost the same thing as it happens :huh:

Well, kind of - I was going to take the Lane Poors & stick them in a custom build Sei bass.

I think without the Lane Poors it would be harder to sell from an RHT perspective. It would become a Flea with RHT [i]association[/i] rather than the one that he took around the world with Jeff Beck. However, having said that, a Flea with 2 x Duncans or Barts etc + £400 might be worth more than the bass as it stands.

Difficult call really - worst case example would that it'd fetch £1,200 as it stands or £900 as a basic twin pickup Flea. On that basis you'd have the hassle of sourcing & fitting the pickups & not making any cash gain :)

Maybe sell something else now & hang on until the market picks up a bit?[/quote]

To be honest hanging on to it would be the ideal situation, but i need to sell it before my Shuker comes through and something tells me thats were talking about years for the market to pick up as apposed to months :/

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='313212' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:57 PM']i feel a little guilty thinking of it really, but it doesnt look like anyone is interested in it on here along with everyone going through financially difficult times at the moment.[/quote]

Didn't know it cost to advertise on talkbass. How much would it be? Talkbass would really open a big market (obviously lol)

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='313212' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:57 PM']Hi, i don't really like the principle of talk bass where they charge you to list your bass on what is supposed a community, id love not to gut it, i feel a little guilty thinking of it really, [b]but it doesnt look like anyone is interested in it on here[/b] along with everyone going through financially difficult times at the moment.[/quote]

It isn't a case of no one being interested... I've PMd you and shown interest! However the 'price' at which the interest turns into a sale is another matter. :)

For my £0.02 worth I'd have to say that the RHT inlay and provenance of the bass doesn't add a bean to the price, in fact if anything it makes it a bit too personal. I'm also 'intrigued' to know what LP's sound like but if they were taken out of the bass and replaced with something quality and the price of the bass was reduced by £400... Hmm I really don't know!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='313228' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:15 PM']It isn't a case of no one being interested... I've PMd you and shown interest! However the 'price' at which the interest turns into a sale is another matter. :)

For my £0.02 worth I'd have to say that the RHT inlay and provenance of the bass doesn't add a bean to the price, in fact if anything it makes it a bit too personal. I'm also 'intrigued' to know what LP's sound like but if they were taken out of the bass and replaced with something quality and the price of the bass was reduced by £400... Hmm I really don't know![/quote]

Well that is true and thank you for your interest, though i just mean in general it doesn't seem to generate a lot of interest, to be honest its the two lane poors that i thought would generate the interest, i just the the RHT inlay looks nice. You have pointed out an interesting point though, what would be quality replacements and a figure that really generates interest?

Seymour Duncans? or would it have to be Bartolinis? Would £900 be a good price?

Thanks for the help

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='313223' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:12 PM']To be honest hanging on to it would be the ideal situation, but i need to sell it before my Shuker comes through and something tells me thats were talking about years for the market to pick up as apposed to months :/[/quote]

What about selling the other Flea - or maybe that's gone already?

[quote name='joe_bass' post='313227' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:15 PM']Didn't know it cost to advertise on talkbass. How much would it be? Talkbass would really open a big market (obviously lol)[/quote]

Hi, it costs $20 so just over a tenner and thats for 'a years membership' i just think its a bit much to have to subscribe to a community, especially when im sure they make plenty of money from advertising.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='312837' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:24 AM']Hi ive posted this in the general bass discussion but i dont know if this section is more relevant.

I dont know if everyone has seen the flea bass im selling on ebay and on here:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=160293054576"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=160293054576[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29309"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29309[/url]

but ive had an interesting offer from america from a guy offering to buy the lane poor pickups for £400.

Does anyone think this would be the best option, then sell the bass with say a pair of seymour duncans, or would it be more profitable to sell the bass intact?

Also how much would a pair of seymour duncan replacements cost, im guessing off ebay around £100 intotal?

Thanks for any input.

Sean[/quote]

No, bad idea. Firstly, an offer is not the same as a deal, the fact that he's offered £400 doesn't mean he'll pay it or that the sale won't go t*its up. Secondly, advertise it on ebay for Worldwide delivery and don't make a big thing about RHT, just the fact that it's a great bass. My first Flea sold within an hour of being listed worldwide having sat on ebay UK for a couple of weeks. Thirdly, I'm pretty sure non-orig PUPs will work out to be a false economy sales wise once you've paid for them and had them professionally fitted.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='313297' date='Oct 23 2008, 08:46 PM']No, bad idea. Firstly, an offer is not the same as a deal, the fact that he's offered £400 doesn't mean he'll pay it or that the sale won't go t*its up. Secondly, advertise it on ebay for Worldwide delivery and don't make a big thing about RHT, just the fact that it's a great bass. My first Flea sold within an hour of being listed worldwide having sat on ebay UK for a couple of weeks. Thirdly, I'm pretty sure non-orig PUPs will work out to be a false economy sales wise once you've paid for them and had them professionally fitted.
Chris[/quote]

Hi, the listing is for worldwide, pretty much sums up the sorry state of the market at the moment, i remember about a year and a half ago where i was looking at my first modulus and they were going for around £1500 with a single lane poor. Im thinking ever more about talkbass now its been mentioned, i dont like the idea but i suppose i can leave it sitting there for a good couple of months until i get desperate, may even pull the ebay listing. I definitely wouldn't go gutting the bass until the money was in my account though that is for sure.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='313301' date='Oct 23 2008, 08:51 PM']Hi, the listing is for worldwide, pretty much sums up the sorry state of the market at the moment, i remember about a year and a half ago where i was looking at my first modulus and they were going for around £1500 with a single lane poor. Im thinking ever more about talkbass now its been mentioned, i dont like the idea but i suppose i can leave it sitting there for a good couple of months until i get desperate, may even pull the ebay listing. I definitely wouldn't go gutting the bass until the money was in my account though that is for sure.[/quote]

Fair points. I so nearly bought this bass when it was first on here. I must admit I wasn't all that impressed by its history, just the fact it was an older (i.e., better) Modulus Flea with two LPs. Personally I would withdraw it from ebay for a while and relist in a few weeks? Alternatively - and I'm not sure if you have already - you could offer it for trade/PX on here. That might tempt a BCer who really wants it but who doesn't have cash whilst providing you with a more easy to sell instrument (starts checking through spare basses :) )?
Good luck anyway, great bass and you must be gutted to be selling it.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='313313' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:16 PM']Fair points. I so nearly bought this bass when it was first on here. I must admit I wasn't all that impressed by its history, just the fact it was an older (i.e., better) Modulus Flea with two LPs. Personally I would withdraw it from ebay for a while and relist in a few weeks? Alternatively - and I'm not sure if you have already - you could offer it for trade/PX on here. That might tempt a BCer who really wants it but who doesn't have cash whilst providing you with a more easy to sell instrument (starts checking through spare basses :) )?
Good luck anyway, great bass and you must be gutted to be selling it.
Chris[/quote]

Hi, to be honest i think thats the way forward, the guy wanting to buy the pickups says he needs about a month anyways so ive pulled it from ebay and im going to start a new thread for the bass mainly aimed at trades as you say, that and i wouldnt half mind a rickenbacker if someone decides to offer me one :huh:

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='313365' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:12 PM']You called The Gallery see if they would be interested to take it back?[/quote]

Hi, no i havnt yet, though like all bass shops ive just assumed theyd offer me an insultingly low price for it, has anyone had experience with them in selling a bass to them?

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='313368' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:14 PM']Hi, no i havnt yet, though like all bass shops ive just assumed theyd offer me an insultingly low price for it, has anyone had experience with them in selling a bass to them?[/quote]

I sold a bass through them - they took it on a commission basis so there was some incentive to get a decent price for it.

I pretty much got my asking price and they took what I thought was a fair commission off the top for organising & taking a credit card on my behalf :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='313228' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:15 PM']I'm also 'intrigued' to know what LP's sound like[/quote]

+1

Sean would you perhaps be able to get some sound clips or a video up? You could be sitting on a real beauty here & people may not quite know it.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='313607' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:23 AM']+1

Sean would you perhaps be able to get some sound clips or a video up? You could be sitting on a real beauty here & people may not quite know it.[/quote]

Sure i can see what i can do, i havent got the RHT here with me at university but i do have another flea bass with a lane poor which i could use if thats ok with everyone? well once i get a new audio interface of some sort.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='314046' date='Oct 24 2008, 06:16 PM']my advice would be to buy the replacement pickups, and then try to sell the bass BEFORE selling the lane poors

that way nothing can go wrong :)[/quote]

genius. I take my hat off to you sir :huh: