Why become a member? ×

Question to all the luthiers, builders and bodgers on here

LukeFRC

So i've got a load of parts... and a nice neck that I bought and my wife hasn't reasoned I spent my budget twice yet...
and I've got a project in mind that is Musicman stingray or sterling shaped.

But cheaper aftermarket stingray bodies are a bit thin on the ground, so thinking I may end up building my own from a lump of wood... but where do you source bits of wood (ideally lightish ash) to build a bass body from? In yorkshire so can drive to pick up. A lot of the woodyards I've asked who do hardwoods don't seem to do the lighter weight end of ash.

Or, alternative wood, or is it better to buy a harley benton MM type thing for the body and hope it's not an boat anchor?

I've bought some nice light(ish) swamp and from Tonetech before. David Dyke is another place to try. Both of these suppliers have been really helpful, especially David Dyke, even though I've only buying one of two pieces at a time. I would think both of these would look through what they have to select you a lighter weight piece. I recently bought two neck blanks from David Dyke over the phone - the two pieces that arrived were really nice and generously sized. One of the neck blanks might even be big enough to get a second neck from...

Timber yards have nice selection but might only sell you an entire board which may be 6 feet long minimum.

Or you could use a front door....

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1489878271' post='3260577']
+1 on David Dyke.... the good thing is when your finished and your not [i]quite[/i] happy.....just build another :rolleyes:
And so it starts :)
[/quote]
It's already started! Project is I think stage 2 - only the tuners and pickup will be in common....

thanks for your help everyone - I'll have to wait a wee bit before buying wood - firstly to have the money, and also to keep my eyes on secondhand stuff and see if something comes up. It seems a lot of places half the cost of getting a bit of wood is shipping it to me!

Keep an eye on Freecycle or similar for unwanted wooden things or possibly pay a visit to your local recycling place. Potentially places for free or cheap wood - good to practice on if nothing else. There are also wood recycling places that have all sorts of hardwood - have a look online and see if there is one near you.

Cheers

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1489948916' post='3261033']
You can always make a start on the templates :D
[/quote]

Good idea - annoying thing is I've found lots of suppliers selling reasonably priced body blanks - it's just they are all in Germany !

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1491660274' post='3274630']
I'm in Yorkshire too so I'd be keen to hear if you find anywhere selling suitable timber!

These guys sell reject / b-stock bodies for pretty good prices on eBay, could be worth a look: [url="http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=boobooguitarsuk"]http://m.ebay.co.uk/...boobooguitarsuk[/url]
[/quote]
I'm going to visit the inlaws over easter down in the Peaks so ended up phoning Jon Shuker and he's sorting me out. Not the cheapest lump of wood ever he would be buying something the right kinda weight for his stuff and he's picking up a bit extra. He's also going to thickness it for me which will save me doing that!
Figured Iif I'm going to do this I might as well do it properly! Build thread incoming!