Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz S1

Ray

I've never really been into P Basses - I've never played one - but I was wondering how similar an S1 Jazz in series sounds to a P Bass.

Fender claims that the S1 switch gives "Jazz and Precision sounds in one instrument" but I'm not sure. I rarely use the S1 switch on my Jazz but I do quite like the sound. Still, it doesn't really sound much like a P to my ears but in my limited experience of P Basses I could be wrong.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
Ray

I'd say it's more P than J in series [a la P] and the mids [i]are [/i]more prominent, but it's never going to be in the right position on the body. I used mine in series all the time on me old GL Jazz, just using parallel [a la J] for the er, jazzy stuff.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='311933' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:47 AM']I'd say it's more P than J in series [a la P] and the mids [i]are [/i]more prominent, but it's never going to be in the right position on the body. I used mine in series all the time on me old GL Jazz, just using parallel [a la J] for the er, jazzy stuff.[/quote]

+1 to all of that. I found the live sound from the series was great - bit more mids than a ''normal'' Jazz sound which really helped live.

Back when I was still using mine regularly I found it sounded more P-ish, but I could tell the difference, and I've got crap ears.

I used to use it with effects, and when recording on the computer (damn CRT hum!), but it was more of an interesting feature than something I used a lot.

[quote name='Beedster' post='312460' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:11 PM']Play one and work it out fior yourself :)[/quote]
Yeah, I should do. I've been thinking about getting one since I saw the article on Justin Meldal-Johnsen in Bass Player. Olympic white - rosewood - tort scratchplate. Nice...