Why become a member? ×

Bass buildind courses?

fiatcoupe432

Hi guys , i live in the uk atm and i was wondering if any of you teach/know any bass builder that organise courses .
i do not want to produce basses but i have lots of exotic wood and i want to start use it to build my own basses .
i do not have any experience at all . where to start? how did you start?
and how much does it cost or you would charge?

Edited by fiatcoupe432

There's a guy called Martin Dixon in Otley near Leeds who does things like this (or used to, I'm not sure). I've read about folks going to stay with him for a week and building a guitar/bass together, very hands-on. I don't think he has a website, but he's a lovely bloke and the stuff he produces is fantastic.

Someone from this very parish has done similar and posted some contact details, worth a read if you're interested! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206258-build-a-bass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206258-build-a-bass/[/url]

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1488886287' post='3252599']
Contact Jon Shuker he runs courses. [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk"]www.shukerguitars.co.uk[/url]
[/quote]

Highly recommended! I think it's a huge endorsement when a highly respected producer and purveyor of guitar tone production comes to you to build his own guitar. The results were beeee-ooo-ti-ful! Andy Sneap plays his hand made guitar on tour too I understand!

(if you just responded with 'who?' take yourself outside for a talking to!!)

I'm not sure where you live but if it's anywhere near North Leicestershire there is an evening class at Rawlins College in Quorn on a Monday night. It's more like a club than a structured course. You can build pretty much anything you want within a pretty well equipped school workshop. There are three experts on hand to advise you, the main one being luthier Colin Keefe (ex-Eggle guitars, now independent). Fees are 80 odd quid for a ten week term of 2 hour sessions.

If you're interested search for "Guitar Building at Rawlins College" or drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch. They have a page on Facebook and a website afaik.

Numbers are limited obviously. Many members have been attending for years and are very knowledgeable and supportive too

That sounds amazing Norris, I wish that was closer to me! I did a similar course last year on woodworking / furniture building, still a bargain at £100-ish for a 12 week term of 3 hour sessions. I'd love to do more, but sadly the company running the workshop went under. The course at Rawlins College sounds brilliant!

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1488894945' post='3252716']
There's a guy called Martin Dixon in Otley near Leeds who does things like this (or used to, I'm not sure). I've read about folks going to stay with him for a week and building a guitar/bass together, very hands-on. I don't think he has a website, but he's a lovely bloke and the stuff he produces is fantastic.

Someone from this very parish has done similar and posted some contact details, worth a read if you're interested! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206258-build-a-bass/"]http://basschat.co.u...8-build-a-bass/[/url]
[/quote]

I built the bass you can see in my pic there, and can vouch for Martin and his courses. He has repaired many of mine and my friends guitars over the years, and is a lovely guy (as his his wife, who kept us all very well fed during my course too)

[quote name='Bassman Rich' timestamp='1489139000' post='3254613']He has repaired many of mine and my friends guitars over the years, and is a lovely guy (as his his wife, who kept us all very well fed during my course too)
[/quote]

He really is a nice guy! A friend got in touch with him about buying some fret-wire and Martin invited us over. Invited us in, offered us a cuppa, refused to take any money for what was a fair sized roll of fret-wire and gave us advice on how to use it. I tried to go to him for a set-up but think he was stacked out with other (probably better paying) stuff!

Edit: By the way that bass is stunning, it must be ace to see that and know you made it! Congrats!

Edited by Rikki_Sixx

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...