Why become a member? ×

An Impossible Dream?

SpondonBassed

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1488120584' post='3245996']
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!

Don't get me wrong, the other stuff is all well and good but metalflake is proper lush. Tell me it will have a matching headstock! Please!
[/quote]

Yup headstock and all. When I say metalflake I mean the deep translucent lacquer finish that allows for large gold flake to be used for maximum scatter. None of your flat tat finishes, oh no.

Glad you like the idea.

Regards

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1488129554' post='3246110']
I've been looking at Basslab instruments for a while now. [url="http://basslab.de"]http://basslab.de[/url]
They build using their own recipe "tuneable composite" materials layered over a form which is later removed, leaving a hollow body (and neck!). They use automotive paint and lacquers even on fretless basses, where the fretboard is also often painted.
[/quote]

That's very interesting. Thanks. You can't say it leans on conventional thinking from first glance anyway.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1488062384' post='3245602']
Vigier have been offering fretless guitars and basses with metal fingerboards since the 1980s. I think someone would have said something by now if there was excess string noise on these.
[/quote]

Fair enough - was only making the suggestion that ths was something that may need looking into - obviously it has. Then again, some people love the thwacky, clanky sound of the plastic board on the Squier VMJ, so it may well come down to taste.

I've been looking at Basslab instruments for a while now. [url="http://basslab.de"]http://basslab.de[/url]
They build using their own recipe "tuneable composite" materials layered over a form which is later removed, leaving a hollow body (and neck!). They use automotive paint and lacquers even on fretless basses, where the fretboard is also often painted.

[/quote]

Nice :)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1488133747' post='3246180']
Fair enough - was only making the suggestion that ths was something that may need looking into - obviously it has. Then again, some people love the thwacky, clanky sound of the plastic board on the Squier VMJ, so it may well come down to taste.
[/quote]

You made a fair point. Having never played a metal fingerboard I don't know but I suspect it would be okay with nylon flats.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1488132058' post='3246156']
When I say metalflake I mean the deep translucent lacquer finish that allows for large gold flake to be used for maximum scatter. None of your flat tat finishes, oh no.
[/quote]

That's the stuff!

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1488120584' post='3245996']
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!

Don't get me wrong, the other stuff is all well and good but metalflake is proper lush. Tell me it will have a matching headstock! Please!
[/quote]

I think it's funny that some many of us have got so used to the idea that the neck of a bass (or guitar) will be finished natural rather than matching the rest of the instrument that a matching headstock (and only the front) is something unusual!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1488199668' post='3246658']
I think it's funny that some many of us have got so used to the idea that the neck of a bass (or guitar) will be finished natural rather than matching the rest of the instrument that a matching headstock (and only the front) is something unusual!
[/quote]

Isn't it written somewhere in The Big Book of British Tradition that rock bands will have a Fender of some description underpinning the rhythm whilst providing a frame for the melody? I think the addendum says that you can not be serious unless there is a Fender on stage.

I could name other brands so don't think Fender are the only brand that bores me.

Other opinions are available.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I've been looking at Basslab instruments for a while now. http://basslab.de

[/quote]

Now I've got gas for something I didn't even know existed 2 minutes ago.

Edit: I can't find any info on pricing but I'm guessing we're talking Ritter money?

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1488216522' post='3246894']

Now I've got gas for something I didn't even know existed 2 minutes ago.

Edit: I can't find any info on pricing but I'm guessing we're talking Ritter money?
[/quote]

Not quite Ritter prices but a couple of grand upwards. In a couple of years of looking I've found 5 used ones for sale, 2 x 6s, a jazz type 5 and 2 x 4s like this.
One of the 6ers was in bass direct, that had a tag of £1500. It was the more unconventional looking L-Bow and had a Roland Midi pickup, so really not badly priced.

There was a North American distributor that had prices a while back. I'll look it up.

Here's the U.S. prices. Not sure how up to date this is but I guess there'll be shipping and export/import duties built into the prices. Probably cheaper direct from Germany.

http://www.basslabusa.com/products/basslab/price.html

Composite technology is something that I have never felt comfortable with. I think that is an impression that I was left with from getting poor lay-ups where voids and splits were bound to occur over time. My thinking is so last century. I'd have to spend a good hour with a composite guitar to help improve.

Anyone got a loaner within taxi distance?

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1488222702' post='3246979']
Here's the U.S. prices. Not sure how up to date this is but I guess there'll be shipping and export/import duties built into the prices. Probably cheaper direct from Germany.

http://www.basslabusa.com/products/basslab/price.html
[/quote]

Cheers for that.

It 's not completely out of reach then. Something to ponder and dream about...

Sorry for the thread hijack Spondon.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1488226166' post='3247034']
Cheers for that.

It 's not completely out of reach then. Something to ponder and dream about...

Sorry for the thread hijack Spondon.
[/quote]

No apology required. Thank you anyway.

I don't think mine will be a composite based one but it doesn't hurt to look at what's possible. There was a carbon Steinberger that looked similar to my wooden one. I saw a YT clip of a lad reviewing it and it looked kinda tempting.

As a matter of fact that has just given me a lucid moment - first one of the New Year. I should see if I can get a go on a Steiny carbon because I own the wooden version. It should be easier to appreciate the differences in materials. I could then list the pros and cons of each material for a body shape that I am familiar with.

I'll look out for the NBD post I hope you'll put up if you get yours.