Why become a member? ×

Street Guitars Bass : Graphite, wireless, Welsh!

OldGit

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='311094' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:24 AM']Never heard of them. They have a dealer in Cardiff so someone that lives there can have a look. Now who lives in Cardiff?[/quote]

That'll be me ...
Their dealer is new and seems to be an online shop only .. :)

+1. Why in god's name the 80s headstock?

Also, a bit concerned by "NIC-CAD BATTERIES-BUILT IN"... would those be the same nickel-cadmium battery types that have awful discharge characteristics and a high susceptibility to 'memory'? Not the greatest of battery choices for a gigging instrument?

[quote name='Rich' post='311309' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:52 PM']+1. Why in god's name the 80s headstock?

Also, a bit concerned by "NIC-CAD BATTERIES-BUILT IN"... would those be the same nickel-cadmium battery types that have awful discharge characteristics and a high susceptibility to 'memory'? Not the greatest of battery choices for a gigging instrument?[/quote]

Yeah I'd much rather be able to go to teh offie/guitarist gear box and get a PP3 to shove in

If they've done the rechargable battery right and the wireless isn't too much of a drain then this shouldn't be a problem. The LightWave basses use rechargables and I get easily 12 hours out of a single charge (less than 2 hours), plus it holds the charge really well when not in use - well over a month and still enough to get me through a rehearsal.

jeez, Have to vote for that as the most fugly off-the-shelf-bass over 1k ever.

2 quickies tho...

How strong are those toggle switches at the bottom? looks like you can only use a stand that grabs the neck, and deffinatley no leaning against your cabs

Would prefer electronic stuff outside the instrument personally (wireless / overdrive etc) unless the bypass is totally uncoloured. also means you're carrying redundant stuff round your neck if you change for better / newer stuff.

interesting idea, but seems a bit gimicky. +1 on the recharging doubts too. what's the point? would prefer to to leave the bass in it's case between uses and have a couple of sets of batteries recharging in a charger rather than having to leave it plugged into the wall, or make a hole in the case for a wire or whatever other solutions there are... again, what's the point when there dosen't seem to be any benefits of having an onboard charger?

Some wonderful advertising copy there:

[i]... many take basic instruments to professionals who up-grade and kit them out with ‘tools’ and ‘set-ups’ enhancing playability and sound. For most, a potentially expensive risky process. [/i]

I may have to try asking a professional to kit my basses out with a 'set-up', even if it is potentially risky. I've always wanted to be at the cutting edge ...

:)

[quote name='SteveO' post='313511' date='Oct 24 2008, 07:55 AM']jeez, Have to vote for that as the most fugly off-the-shelf-bass over 1k ever.

2 quickies tho...

How strong are those toggle switches at the bottom? looks like you can only use a stand that grabs the neck, and deffinatley no leaning against your cabs

Would prefer electronic stuff outside the instrument personally (wireless / overdrive etc) unless the bypass is totally uncoloured. also means you're carrying redundant stuff round your neck if you change for better / newer stuff.

interesting idea, but seems a bit gimicky. +1 on the recharging doubts too. what's the point? would prefer to to leave the bass in it's case between uses and have a couple of sets of batteries recharging in a charger rather than having to leave it plugged into the wall, or make a hole in the case for a wire or whatever other solutions there are... again, what's the point when there dosen't seem to be any benefits of having an onboard charger?[/quote]

+1 on all of that ..
It's a bit like an answer looking for a problem and I doubt they did an awful lot of market research asking real bass players what they thought. ...

Way back when I saw Canadian Blues guitarist Jeff Healy play a str@t with a built in wireless. It looked like he was miming as there was no lead and no wireless pack visible ...

Apparently these are custom made to order only so I assume you can change things but if you take out the gizmos what are you left with?

As for f'ugly expensive basses, I still think the Ashdown Loadstone Primal wins hands down

[quote name='OldGit' post='313635' date='Oct 24 2008, 11:52 AM']...an answer looking for a problem...[/quote]
Exactly. great line btw.

[quote name='OldGit' post='313635' date='Oct 24 2008, 11:52 AM']As for f'ugly expensive basses, I still think the Ashdown Loadstone Primal wins hands down[/quote]
Dunno bout that. it doesn't leap out and make you wanna chuck. headstock needs changing, but just looks like any old bland bass made with a bit of knobbly wood.

[quote name='OldGit' post='313635' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:52 AM']As for f'ugly expensive basses, I still think the Ashdown Loadstone Primal wins hands down[/quote]

Its a very nice bit of wood, but I think it could have been used better turned into some nice fruitbowls or something!! The headstock is effin orrible!!

BTW, I cannot got onto the Street website to see these beasties.....

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='313719' date='Oct 24 2008, 12:40 PM']Hmm Cardiff guitars do have a shop and its down the bay...
Will try to check out if they have any although last time I went there he didnt have too many basses- more than likely will just have the guitar[/quote]

No It's not them It's A-strings
[url="http://www.astrings.co.uk/"]http://www.astrings.co.uk/[/url]

To quote the guy" I have an office with all the stock, you are welcome to come and try anything. I don't have any Street basses though as they are custom made. I can get a prototype for you to try if you are intrested"
Hummmm Not [i]that[/i] interested, ta ...

Edited by OldGit

i have tried the guit@r, and its actually pretty good. Just don't expect to be going very far, despite the wireless, because it weighs a f***ing ton. The wireless leaves the signal uncolored, but i'm not sure how strong the switches are, because it was on a wall stand.
Zach