Why become a member? ×

Hi pass filter best buy

jonnythenotes

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1486032735' post='3228610']
Only by you it seems Peter, everyone else I know puts them as the last element in the chain to ensure that the pedals don't introduce any sub-frequencies. The only thing I might want downstream of it is a DI box.
[/quote]

Not exactly, Pete. If you read about the MT on Talkbass, you'll also find that some put it at the front and some put it last

I was thinking though that if someone ran an Octaver, you wouldnt want the MT last, surely ? Would that not kill any of the notes below E ?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1486032735' post='3228610']
Only by you it seems Peter, everyone else I know puts them as the last element in the chain to ensure that the pedals don't introduce any sub-frequencies. The only thing I might want downstream of it is a DI box.
[/quote]

That's not the case Pete. Have a gander over on Talkbass (and Finnbass). Many recommendations for 1st in the chain. Removing the sub frequencies FROM the pedals in the 1st place is considered good practice. I had an email from Max at sfx confirming the validity of placing it 1st too. I can't find it as I delete fairly frequently.

It works in my experience.

Oops, just read your post Fleabag. As I understand it, if you add octaves down and they are subaural you still get the unique 'flavour' from the harmonics and sub harmonics above.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1486042675' post='3228721']

Oops, just read your post Fleabag. As I understand it, if you add octaves down and they are subaural you still get the unique 'flavour' from the harmonics and sub harmonics above.
[/quote]

Cleared that up Greene, thanks :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1486042675' post='3228721']
That's not the case Pete. Have a gander over on Talkbass (and Finnbass). Many recommendations for 1st in the chain. Removing the sub frequencies FROM the pedals in the 1st place is considered good practice. I had an email from Max at sfx confirming the validity of placing it 1st too. I can't find it as I delete fairly frequently.
[/quote]

Well we live and learn. Normally I wouldn't go within a million miles of Talkbass, but it seems that Max posted the same advice in a thread there:

He said: "Strictly from a technical viewpoint, I think the micro-Thumpinator works at its best just after the bass. The main reason is that as soon as the subsonic content is removed the better it is for everything that follows. Having said that, some bassists use it very successfully between pre and power amp. This is why I recommend trying it in different positions."

I think he means different positions in the effects chain :-)

Since it also works at line level, I guess you could also put it in the effects loop, although that would only make sense with a serial loop.

On the subject of not being able to re-find things, I'm almost certain that someone put a Zoom B3 on a spectrum analyser and that produces virtually nothing below 30Hz, but I'm damned if I can find the reference.

Well then....I tried the Micro Thumpinator last night at a rehearsal, and am chuffed to the max with it. I was using my Tecamp Puma 900 head with everything set pretty much flat...( little extra bass...1 o'clock position,) with this running through a Barefaced compact 15" gen1. The bass is nothing special, a Yamaha BB1024x, again set pretty much straight down the middle, both pickups engaged, and the tone set halfway between treble and bass. The thing it's really excelled at was the clarity it gave each note. Even as volume crept up a bit throughout the rehearsal, the MT just sat on the floor and did what it is supposed to. It's a three piece band, where every thing you do is in the headlights, and to have my new little friend cleaning up some of the unwanted turbulence that occurs when you don't want it to was great. Also, I noticed that my amp could take more input into the pre amp before clipping. Looking forward to a gig environment, and trying it with a couple of other guitars... Bit of a ten outa ten so far..

Guest Jecklin

I am so tempted by one of these.
I'd use it between my samplers and Phil Jones double4 in my gigs. At points there is a lot of super sub going into those little speakers and anything to take the pressure off and give a little headroom would be a serious help

• 2 weeks later...

Right chaps I know this whole HPF and LPF gets pretty gnarly quickly and goes into sub-sonic filtering for speaker efficiency but what do we think to this?

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/qstrip.html

Sounds good to me... gets a 'Rick 'o' tone' out of a P-bass...

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1487883895' post='3243945']
Right chaps I know this whole HPF and LPF gets pretty gnarly quickly and goes into sub-sonic filtering for speaker efficiency but what do we think to this?

[url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/qstrip.html"]http://www.tech21nyc...cts/qstrip.html[/url]

Sounds good to me... gets a 'Rick 'o' tone' out of a P-bass...
[/quote]

There's no indication of what frequency the HPF works at, since it seems to be designed for guitar it may be set at 80Hz or higher which might be too high. Actually I wonder if the popularity of pre amps like this might be partially down to some HP filtering and cleaning up the sound. If you like the sound go for it.

I found on the web a veri layout of fdeck.I use it first.There is no reason my pedals have to take care frequencies that later will cut.This means less cliping.And if i boost the 30Hz from eden wtdi,i hear a big difference because dont boost just the 30Hz but a curve with 30Hz on top.So 40-50-60Hz are also boosted.And dont forget,if something is cuted,you cant add it again