Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for USB / Firewire Audio interface

Prosebass

[quote name='Biggsy' post='319189' date='Oct 31 2008, 04:42 PM']Yep!

[attachment=15452:MOTU.jpg][/quote]
Thank you!!! Awesome!

[quote name='dr.funk' post='319247' date='Oct 31 2008, 06:08 PM']I was just going to mention that. According to Sound on Sound you really need a laptop with a texas instruments firewire chipset if you are going to run a firewire interface without hassle. Unfortunately that information is quite hard to find out.[/quote]

Hmmm... not so awesome!!! Thats me stuffed then.. looks like USB for me!

[quote name='dood' post='320714' date='Nov 3 2008, 09:59 AM']Hmmm... not so awesome!!! Thats me stuffed then.. looks like USB for me![/quote]

Where are you based Dood, I'd be happy to lend you an old firewire MOTU 828 to see how it works with your computer.. The TI chipsets are reccommended, but not necessarily required.

[quote name='Biggsy' post='321726' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:45 PM']Where are you based Dood, I'd be happy to lend you an old firewire MOTU 828 to see how it works with your computer.. The TI chipsets are reccommended, but not necessarily required.[/quote]

Ahh Biggsy! That's very kind of you! Thanks! - I'm just up t'road in Norfolk! - As it happens, I popped in to see my mate at my local guitar shop yesterday and have leant me a [b]line6 UX2 USB interface[/b]! I'm very chuffed about that! So, I'm gonna give that a go and see how I get on. If it fails miserably, I would love to take you up on your kind offer! Definitely a beer in it!

I'll post an update in a day or so.....

Ive had various PCI and Hardware soundcards.
Ive tried a lot of them in the current market and the best choice for you would be the E-MU 0202 or its big brother E-MU 0404.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/inventory-detail/index/?int_product_id=9057&gad=COO_5foBEgjUTSM1_6-iXBi0mZL_AyDfv5AR"]http://www.gear4music.com/inventory-detail...Bi0mZL_AyDfv5AR[/url]

For starters this soundcard is a dedicated USB2.0 device! and unlike its competitors - who merely support USB2.0 this soundcard was designed for USB2.0

Oh and its only £64!!!!!!!!!

And its bus powered, its big brother is not bus powered but offers some great extra features.

And for any of you looking for superior Firewire quality, look no further than - RME Fireface 400 - its not cheap at around £550 but its far better than hardware 3 times that price and that includes the MBOX.

[quote name='Tusknia' post='329657' date='Nov 15 2008, 02:16 PM']Does anyone know if the Line6 stuff is any good?
Any experience with the POD Studio UX2 in particular.[/quote]

Here I am ;o)

Well yes, I have owned the UX2 now for a couple of weeks. Both my Guitarist has one and I have one. I have jsut found out that a mate of mine who 'knows his Cubase stuff' has used one and is very impressed too.

Yeah, I really like it!! I love the way you can run sets of sends to your favourite DAW package. You can record dry pre Amplification sounds and wet post sounds on seperate sends. !&2 then 3&4 both at the same time! NICE!

One word of warning!! I was nearly put off!! If you are using VISTA on a LAPTOP.. make sure ALL your drivers are updated to the latest version.. System board, BIOS, USB, line6.. then turn off your wifi/ network cards! By not doing this, my *brand new* high power laptop suffered major latency, jumping, popping and all manner of noise. Now... yep.. really nice!

I'll post more as I find out what this babe can do!

(I may upgrade to Vista 64 bit soon as my DAW is a 64bit engine and my hardware supports 64 bit too... as does the UX2)

• 6 months later...

Thread Resurrection Alert!!!

Anyone care to comment further on the Mackie Onyx. Looks ideal for what I need (see below) and a good price from Thomann

I am searching for an interface USB or Firewire to use with a Powermac G5 2.5 dual running OSX 10.5.6

I don't need a huge number of inputs as band recordings are done to an ADAT HD24R and then transferred as individual audio files. For stuff I do on my own at home it is either softsynths fired by a USB keyboard, or Bass / guitar into the machine, possibly through a POD/BOD but straight in to use the PodFarm VST without having to switch POD/BOD sources would be good.

That and I need to feed the powered monitors and it would be nice to have a spare stereo input to run in music stored on the PC (that I do not want to move to the and clog up the Mac) for playback on the monitors.

Thoughts, comments, updates on possibilities up to around £200 appreciated

I tend to use a Edirol UA-25 (although there is now a Edirol UA-25-ex with an analogue compressor which looks quite nice) priced at about £125 and £175 respectively. Not sure if the newer version is really worth it though.

I've used the UA-25 on Linux, Windows XP, Windows Vista and OSX in the past with no troubles. It's only 2x2, with no spare stereo input but along with the XLR/TRS inputs, it also has a Hi-Z button for guitar direct connection, S/PDIF optical I/O ports and the old style MIDI I/O ports. I can't really say much about it other than it's given very decent recording wuality for the price and it just sits there doing its job, and it's survived being hefted about the place too.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it works on vista. however....

I had vista home basic on my current toshiba laptop, and decided to upgrade (yes, up) to XP. It works wayy faster, and there are no driver problems at all. I'd highly reccommend it. The links that were posted by G-77 are brilliant ones (by the looks of it) especially the alesis one.