Why become a member? ×

Which pedal sized pre-amp and why?

obbm

I have a project on the go to builld a tiny rig comprising pre-amp/DI, personal monitor mixer and in-ear wireless. I have sorted the latter two but I need recommendations for a pre-amp.

My immediate thoughts were EBS, Sansamp and MXR. The Avalon is nice but expensive and OTT for regular gigging.

I reckon to build the whole lot into a tiny flightcase or box so rack-mount is a no, no.

Who can recommend what, and why?

Various Sansamps (if you like them...) always work for me, if you're careful with the blend control...or the Aguilar 924, which is similar to the old Sadowsky, or the Award Session JD10. This is a bit of an unusual one, but its a "fender" style tone section, with a speaker simulator - very good for the money. I had one of Stewart Wards earlier/simpler "matchbox" DI's and it was great - that's the box that got me into using external preamps and DI with combos. One warning note - I've found that some preamp/DIs don't mix very well with high output active basses (unless you can turn down the output internally).

I guess the deciding factor is how much "character" you want from the preamp?

Good luck - sounds like a good project

[quote name='ahpook' post='309221' date='Oct 18 2008, 01:31 PM']and a damn good choice. the ebs pisses on the the sansamp from a not inconsiderable height.[/quote]
I've only got as far as checking the lights work, but hey - there's 3 of them, one's blue and they all come on together, lovely. I did like my Para Driver 'cos the mid issue wasn't an issue, but fancied all the extra toys on the EBS. Wasn't so keen on the programmable BDDI, even when all 3 of its lights flashed on together. Seemed to sound much better recorded than live.

Fat money for the EBS vs SansAmp from the US though, glad I was BCing at work. :)

Edited by johnnylager