Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon

Mickeyboro

I was up on Denmark St today and saw a Shergold Marathon cut from £495 to £250. It wasn't in great nick and had replacement tuners but I was till tempted.

Did I miss out on a bargain?

PS Query: the headstock had a circular hole in it, not the triangular logo - what does that signify?

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='308919' date='Oct 17 2008, 09:04 PM']I was up on Denmark St today and saw a Shergold Marathon cut from £495 to £250. It wasn't in great nick and had replacement tuners but I was till tempted.

Did I miss out on a bargain?

PS Query: the headstock had a circular hole in it, not the triangular logo - what does that signify?[/quote]

The predecessor of the Shergold Marathon was the Hayman 4040 and it had a circular hole in the headstock with a plastic insert with the Hayman logo on it. Maybe the early Shergolds had that too and this one has lost the plastic insert.

I'd say £250 was a fair price for one of these but without original parts and bad nick, maybe not.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='308954' date='Oct 17 2008, 10:17 PM']The predecessor of the Shergold Marathon was the Hayman 4040 and it had a circular hole in the headstock with a plastic insert with the Hayman logo on it. Maybe the early Shergolds had that too and this one has lost the plastic insert.

I'd say £250 was a fair price for one of these but without original parts and bad nick, maybe not.[/quote]

+1. If you're into Shergolds then its an OK price. Bargain? No.

sadly they have appaling 2ndhand values considering who well they were put together. I dont like them but that does not mean others dont like them and that they do not have intrinsic value.

Gosh prices have moved. I seem to recall I sold the last of my two Marathons a few years back in better than average nick and with a flightcase for around £300.

With the hole in the headstock it probably was an early crossover version from the Hayman models. I got both of mine in the early 70's and they had the triangular badge on the head.

They were my first proper basses and lasted me for years. I sometimes wish I had kept hold of them, but that's just nostalgia I expect.

- my baby's post respray but pre conversion to 8 string
In action
- dear God what was I wearing!!!
- post conversion to 8 string.

These need to go in a "Where are they now?" thread, but I might want them back :)

Very, very good basses. the sound of a Precision with alittle Rick thrown in, and a neck to die sofr, somewhere between a 'ray and a precision. Wide, flat and fast. Not a great solo bass and the slap leaves something to be desired, but lightweight, solid and powerful, and worth every peny of £300 against a modern bass of the same value (as long as it's in good nick - the finishes go very quickly which to my mind isn't a problem, but the electrics can be dodgy)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='309159' date='Oct 18 2008, 12:02 PM']Very, very good basses. the sound of a Precision with alittle Rick thrown in, and a neck to die sofr, somewhere between a 'ray and a precision. Wide, flat and fast. Not a great solo bass and the slap leaves something to be desired, but lightweight, solid and powerful, and worth every peny of £300 against a modern bass of the same value (as long as it's in good nick - the finishes go very quickly which to my mind isn't a problem, but the electrics can be dodgy)
Chris[/quote]
hey Chris

Great to see you back on here!! :) are you staying around..?

Back on topic; lovely basses the Shergold/Haymans.. always fancied one myself!

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='309166' date='Oct 18 2008, 12:16 PM']hey Chris

Great to see you back on here!! :huh: are you staying around..?

Back on topic; lovely basses the Shergold/Haymans.. always fancied one myself!

Nik[/quote]

You bet mate. ASee you at Clacketts soon. Now in Surrey so let's do that beer we arranged a few months back sometime soon (apologies for that missed beer appointment, I was very, very hungover and, well, that's another story :) ).
C