Why become a member? ×

*SOLD * 1964 JAZZBASS
£3450

Duffffy

I definitely realize , that i am Pbass guy. its shame to not play on this.

bought as 1965J , after deeply inspection , it is 1964 body , and the neck looks like 68.

very very rare ASH body , original pups , pots . pick is not orig.

neck si fantastic . frets still have a lot of live , Brazil rosewood is nice and dark.

the bass souds fantastic , i dont know , why someone change the neck , but this is great combo.

the case is in fantastic case.

i am located in Slovakia.

aboslutely NO TRADES .

[attachment=236184:DSC_0249-001.JPG]
[attachment=236185:DSC_0251-001.JPG]
[attachment=236186:DSC_0252.JPG]
[attachment=236187:DSC_0255-001.JPG]
[attachment=236188:DSC_0258.JPG]
[attachment=236189:DSC_0259.JPG]
[attachment=236190:DSC_0260.JPG]
[attachment=236191:DSC_0261-001.JPG]
[attachment=236192:DSC_0262-001.JPG]
[attachment=236193:DSC_0264.JPG]

Edited by Duffffy

[quote name='Duffffy' timestamp='1484885134' post='3219421']

[attachment=236282:64J cert .jpg]
[/quote]

Thanks for that :)

It's really hard to date bodies as they often don't have any distinguishing marks or date stamps.

As it's been refinished twice this can make it even harder to date sometimes.

The dowel marks don't mean it's a '64, or pre-CBS though. Fender continued to use this method of finishing for well after '65.

I have a pair of '68 J basses that both have the same dowel marks as my '63 and '64.

Without any other dating references it could be difficult to prove the age of this body - it could potentially be a complete '68J with '64 pots and neck plate.

Might be worth going back to the people who supplied the provenance document and asking for more information.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1484903229' post='3219485']

It's really hard to date bodies as they often don't have any distinguishing marks or date stamps.

The dowel marks don't mean it's a '64, or pre-CBS though. Fender continued to use this method of finishing for well after '65.

I have a pair of '68 J basses that both have the same dowel marks as my '63 and '64.

Without any other dating references it could be difficult to prove the age of this body - it could potentially be a complete '68J with '64 pots and neck plate.

Might be worth going back to the people who supplied the provenance document and asking for more information.
[/quote]

interesting... i dont want to reassemble the bass because it was professionaly setup-ed. but it can be weird, you have 68 body and have 64 pots , pups ? why ? :)

but you are right , its very hard.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1484903229' post='3219485']

[/quote]

I agree with this.

To get the full value you want back for the bass I woud suggest taking it apart and photograhing the parts - pots and wiring, back of pickups and pickup wire on them. Also the neck heel showing any markings that may be stamped on it.

If you're not confident to take it apart then get a shop to do it for you. This shouldn't ruin the setup and you stand a much better chance of a sale.

Only my opinion though of course.

[quote name='Duffffy' timestamp='1484915551' post='3219637']

interesting... i dont want to reassemble the bass because it was professionaly setup-ed. but it can be weird, you have 68 body and have 64 pots , pups ? why ? :)

but you are right , its very hard.
[/quote]

It's very common for pots and pickups to be different dates from bodies and necks.

From what you've said it sounds like the things that are definitely dated are the pots and neck.

It could be that it's a complete '68 bass that just has some earlier pots in it.

To get maximum value you'd need to pull it apart and take pictures of everything. It would even help to get shots of things like the cavities and neck pocket that might show the original colour and the first refinish.

At the very least I think you'll need a picture of the heel of the neck with a date stamp that shows it's a '68.

Just trying to help you value it as accurately as possible here, not trying to detract from how much it's worth :)

I'm old and confused, but I seem to remember one year in the 60's Fender literally overstocked hundreds of thousands of pots.
The result being, those date stamped ones were still being used years after Fender had bought them
It could??? have been 64.

Cliff and Rick's finest may well know better?

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='mrbassman_de' timestamp='1484956408' post='3220078']
That happened 1966
[/quote]
[quote name='CH161' timestamp='1484958051' post='3220088']
Yes that's right. An overstocking of 1966 pots saw them used on instruments up to around 1969.
[/quote]

So I was half right.
That's unusually good for me! :D

Thanks chaps.