Why become a member? ×

Mariah's meltdown

leschirons

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1483700598' post='3209332']

The real truth could be anything. The fact is, we don't know what it is.
[/quote]

I don't know if it could be anything - there's certainly a lot of evidence in the performance that points to technical failings. I suppose the fact of the matter is that it's unlikely that we will ever get to the bottom of what those failings were.

[url="http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/02/mariah-carey-nye-what-really-happened/"]Interesting interview here[/url] which certainly casts the production company and network in a damning light.

Not sure about this bit, though:

[b]Fans are also accusing her of lip-syncing. From watching the video, it looked like part of the performance was meant to be lip-synced and part of it wasn’t?[/b]
[i]No. It’s not lip-syncing. Lip-syncing is when people don’t sing at all. This is what people should understand. Every artist sings to a track, especially in circumstances like that when it’s really loud and impossible to have a great musical performance. You’re not singing at the Philharmonic. Every artist who goes out there sings to tracks.[/i]

O RLY?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1483701881' post='3209343']

Not sure about this bit, though:

[b]Fans are also accusing her of lip-syncing. From watching the video, it looked like part of the performance was meant to be lip-synced and part of it wasn’t?[/b]
[i]No. It’s not lip-syncing. Lip-syncing is when people don’t sing at all. This is what people should understand. Every artist sings to a track, especially in circumstances like that when it’s really loud and impossible to have a great musical performance. You’re not singing at the Philharmonic. Every artist who goes out there sings to tracks.[/i]

O RLY?
[/quote]

Not wanting to argue semantics with you WoT, but there are a lot of instances I've come across where there is no vocal on the verse, but the chorus is tracked, either to give them a double tracked feel if singing, or give them a rest from the verse performance.

I can fully understand why she has tracked the tricky bits if she's worried about still being able to hit the high notes, but you're probably right, it is a bit of a con and she should probably just give it up and sing in lower keys/octaves! I think the response above is the best salesman's way of explaining something that is not fully lip syncing, but is in places.

Funnily enough, the best one I ever saw was a YT clip of the legendary (and personal hero of mine) BB King playing along to a track on a TV show in the 70's, and you can hear his guitar on the track! He just drowns it out and plays over the top!

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1483703714' post='3209352']
Not wanting to argue semantics with you WoT, but there are a lot of instances I've come across where there is no vocal on the verse, but the chorus is tracked, either to give them a double tracked feel if singing, or give them a rest from the verse performance.

I can fully understand why she has tracked the tricky bits if she's worried about still being able to hit the high notes, but you're probably right, it is a bit of a con and she should probably just give it up and sing in lower keys/octaves! I think the response above is the best salesman's way of explaining something that is not fully lip syncing, but is in places.

Funnily enough, the best one I ever saw was a YT clip of the legendary (and personal hero of mine) BB King playing along to a track on a TV show in the 70's, and you can hear his guitar on the track! He just drowns it out and plays over the top!
[/quote]

No problem - I was just raising my eyebrow at this bit:

[i]"Every artist sings to a track, especially in circumstances like that when it’s really loud and impossible to have a great musical performance. You’re not singing at the Philharmonic. Every artist who goes out there sings to tracks."[/i]

There are of course plenty of ageing rockers going out there and doing their best, not singing to a backing track, and it's perfectly obvious that they can't quite get the notes any more. At least they are being honest and not overly precious about it. When they decide they just can't hack it any more they retire with at least some credibility. It probably says as much about us as a society that we can't let artists age and have to get new arrangements of songs done to accommodate that natural process as it does about the artists themselves.

I think a very valid point's been made here. The way she 'performs' compared to what most of us do is completely different and is difficult to relate to. However, she was quite spoiled brat about it instead of explaining what was going on.
And the most important thing to be learned? Life's too short for big asses.

“To suggest that … would ever intentionally compromise the success of any artist is defamatory, outrageous and frankly absurd … In very rare instances, there are, of course, technical errors that can occur with live television, however, an initial investigation has indicated that DCP had no involvement in the challenges associated with Ms. Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance.”

A proper politicians response!

To suggest that … would ever intentionally compromise the success of any artist is defamatory, outrageous and frankly absurd - no matter how obsurd, it could happen... and has happened. (I don't think anybody did anything on purpose, I just think that somebody on the tech team f**ked it)

In very rare instances, there are, of course, technical errors that can occur with live television - of course, err... did we just witness one?

an initial investigation has indicated that DCP had no involvement in the challenges associated with Ms. Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance. - and what about any subsequent investigations? An initial statement said that the inears would be ok when she went on stage...