Why become a member? ×

#2 in a series..Why would someone buy an Fenix??

BaggyMan

Totally enjoyed the lively discussion from #1 G&L's...so thrying out this ..#2 why would someone buy a Fenix

I had a Bone white P bass special (the one with the extra bridge jazz pickup) back in the nineties

Basic sontruction was very good, swapped out the bridge for a badass like one, and some hot pickups. Awesomely good for not much money. Budget basses (even with a few upgrades) dont have to be second /backups imho.

Fenix was the brand name of Korean manufacturer Young-Chang, which was the factory which took over the Squier contract when it moved from Fujigen in Japan. Most early Fenixes were basically hot-rodded, rebranded versions of the Squiers that Young-Chang was building.

Inevitably, Fender took a rather dim view of this business model (and of the Fenix name itself, apparently) & promptly took their contract elsewhere. There are suggestions that lawsuits may have been involved, and the fact that Fenix headstock shapes rapidly became a whole lot less Fender-y certainly does imply concerns over legality.

Fenixes do have a reputation for good quality (as do Young-Chang Squiers) and there are some gorgeous Strat variations out there. Sadly the basses were less exotic but still very well-made.

I have a Fenix Strat copy, and in all honesty it p!sses all over the E-serial MIJ Squier Strat I also have.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1482950522' post='3203726']
Fenix was the brand name of Korean manufacturer Young-Chang, which was the factory which took over the Squier contract when it moved from Fujigen in Japan. Most early Fenixes were basically hot-rodded, rebranded versions of the Squiers that Young-Chang was building.

Inevitably, Fender took a rather dim view of this business model (and of the Fenix name itself, apparently) & promptly took their contract elsewhere. There are suggestions that lawsuits may have been involved, and the fact that Fenix headstock shapes rapidly became a whole lot less Fender-y certainly does imply concerns over legality.

Fenixes do have a reputation for good quality (as do Young-Chang Squiers) and there are some gorgeous Strat variations out there. Sadly the basses were less exotic but still very well-made.
[/quote]
My bestie had a Fenix PJ bass, reminiscent of a modded oly white P. It was a really nice instrument, well built and sounded great. He had to sell it and unfortunately I needed the money more than I needed another bass, so I missed out on it :(