Why become a member? ×

Sei Series II single cut - now MIDI enabled...!

urb

• 1 month later...

Hey peeps

Just a few more new pics of the bass hat's starting to look a bit more finished - and it'll be off to the finishers soon - so these will be the last pics of the bass before that - the finger board is madagaskar ebony which looks ace:

[attachment=2333:seibass_150907.jpg]

[attachment=2331:seibass_face150907.jpg]

[attachment=2332:sei_facing_closeup.jpg]

[attachment=2334:seibass_back150907.jpg]

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='paul, the' post='61137' date='Sep 16 2007, 01:24 PM']Aww bunny ears.
That's beautiful. One of the best I've seen methinks.[/quote]

Indeed - I hadn't thought of bunny ears - I will own my very own Bunny Bass - how cool!

Cheers mate

Mike

[quote name='ZPQ' post='61126' date='Sep 16 2007, 01:14 PM']Awesome!

When I see things like this I start to seriously consider getting a single cut.

Hope you don't have long to wait until it's finished

Cheers
John[/quote]
Yeah do it. Get one their great. I thought my ACG singlecut would be difficult to play, no way, upper access takes a little while to get use to but then it seems so natural. And the improvment in tone and solidity of the neck is great.
In any case, you shouldn't be putting your thumb over the top of the neck anyway. :) Anthony Jackson says it's incorrect and improper.
Victorian Bass Dad. :huh:

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='thumb4bob' post='61339' date='Sep 16 2007, 07:48 PM']very very nice bass, I hope you don't mind me asking but what made you pick sei ahead of say another jeff chapman, your fretless is amazing. Was it down to specific tonal needs or were you just after something that looked a bit different?[/quote]

First off thanks for the positive vibes - I love Jeff's work and will endorse his basses and workmanship to the end but I've loved the Sei designs for a long time and have wanted a single cut for almost as long - when I ordered my fretless I lived in Brighton - Jeff lives there - so it was better for me as I could see the bass and discuss the design at regular periods - whereas now I live in London and even then I don't get up to Camden very often - but I really love what Martin does - the SC is going to be very much 'my' bass with my specs built for me. Jeff doesn't really have his own design of bass - with my fretless based on a Tobias classic - so I would have had to come up with my own design for a single cut from him and to be honest I love the Sei single cut - and thankfully I've been able to afford one..

Anyway - this bass is going to truly rock when it's ready - my fretless is unique so I'm happy to have just the one JC bass - he did some of his best work on it - and for that I am truly grateful.

M

That's coming along nicely now. It's amazing how much more like a bass it looks now the fingerboard's been added.

I'm a great believer that when you're having a custom instrument made you should find a luthier who's ideas and vision for what they want to build match the ideas that you want for your finished instrument, rather than someone who claims to be able to build anything.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='61454' date='Sep 16 2007, 11:11 PM']That's coming along nicely now. It's amazing how much more like a bass it looks now the fingerboard's been added.

I'm a great believer that when you're having a custom instrument made you should find a luthier who's ideas and vision for what they want to build match the ideas that you want for your finished instrument, rather than someone who claims to be able to build anything.[/quote]

I completely agree with you man - the thing with asking Martin Petersen to make me something wasn't a case of just 'wanting a Sei' I had a very good / clear idea of what I wanted the bass to be - the tone I'm looking for, the feel of the instrument, how it looks - I specifically wanted to use lighter woods than the dark African woods on my Thumb bass, I wanted to the facings to be 'yellowish' and the whole block of burl that was ordered that they are cut from I helped Alex to choose etc. Also having seen other 'designer basses' that cost twice that of a Sei but - IMO - don't have the same evel of craftsmanship in a Sei bass - I know I'm getting something very special.

I know there's another 6 string being made right now that is pretty much the same as mine but will no doubt be different in many ways too - each one of Martin's basses has its own identity and that's becuase he really listens to his customers. I also trust his decisions - the madagascar ebony board was his choice and it's awesome - I have been a bit hands off with some of the stuff because I know Martin and his work well - that's why I 'hired him' to make this for me - he's the expert - not me.

I'll keep you all posted with any further developments,

Mike

I think I'm halfway between the two of you...

I went to Martin having done some homework with regards to materials, but knowing that I wanted a Sei. I'd tried many other basses in the time before I placed my order and nothing really made me go want to go with another manufacturer or luthier (and I was looking waaay before I got into 6 and then 7 string basses). So I knew the model I wanted, it was just a case of could it sound like I wanted it to...

When I sat down with Martin to go through my notes, he adjusted some of the ideas I had. That process really instilled in me a confidence that the bass would turn out the way I wanted it to. It wasn't just a case of filling out a form, it was a careful look at construction, woods, electronics and hardware to make sure that I got a Sei which spoke the way I wanted it to.

I think Mike hit the nail on the head when he wrote "each of Martin's basses has it's own identity" and the identity matches the owners requirements. Mike's Sei is very different to mine, which is very different to other customers and so on. It's more like a Saville Row tailors than a production line !!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='63291' date='Sep 20 2007, 07:54 PM']Not to detract from the benefits of a Sei. I wholeheartedly recommend an AC Guitar. You will be blown away by the playability and the price.
The sound of these basses is astounding.[/quote]

No worries - all I'd say is "horses for courses..." - I've wanted a Sei for a long time - I've played a ton of other amazing basses - and I still think Sei are among the best out there - in the world - personally I think they look amazing, sound great and play great - I'm happy with my choice :) - I'm sure you feel the same way about your bass too - and that's the way it should be.

M

[quote name='urb' post='63320' date='Sep 20 2007, 09:09 PM']No worries - all I'd say is "horses for courses..." - I've wanted a Sei for a long time - I've played a ton of other amazing basses - and I still think Sei are among the best out there - in the world - personally I think they look amazing, sound great and play great - I'm happy with my choice :huh: - I'm sure you feel the same way about your bass too - and that's the way it should be.

M[/quote]
Sorry mate,
I was saying this for the benifit of thedontcarebear.
I love your Sei. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='63428' date='Sep 21 2007, 07:20 AM']Sorry mate,
I was saying this for the benifit of thedontcarebear.
I love your Sei. :)[/quote]

For my benefit? Just saw what you said, and I already ordered an ACG months ago, I just like the look of Sei's a lot, and RIM basses too, and about 50% of all basses that exist.

It's fine Steve - no problem.

And Dontcarebear - I agree - there are far too many lovely basses out there - but a). I can't afford more than one at a time - and :). - you have to make a choice in the end!

Anyway - the bass is off to the finishers next week - so no pics until then - maybe not until it's finished - I think early to mid November it'll be close to finished... so until then keep your thoughts coming - I'm off on holiday for a week!

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='63614' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:08 PM']For my benefit? Just saw what you said, and I already ordered an ACG months ago, I just like the look of Sei's a lot, and RIM basses too, and about 50% of all basses that exist.[/quote]Apologies to all. I forgot you ordered an AGC. Can we still be friend's? :) It wasn't meant for you, my mistake, it was for ZPQ.

Edited by steve-soar

• 2 weeks later...

Hey peeps

Quick update - my bass is at the finishers - while I'm waiting I've been drooling over the other buckeye six string - mine's a 5 obv - that has just returned looking absolutely lovely - there will be quite a few others coming to completetion in the next few weeks - yippeeee!

Lovely looking - the colours are pretty wild in that burl:

[attachment=2706:sei6_2.jpg]

Until next time - cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...

Ho Guys

I finally have some new pics - she's looking awesomely awesome - hopefully be all done by the end of Feb - the pics just about do it justice - it's a killer in the flesh (wood) - and yes I know it's been ages but well worth the wait...

[attachment=5024:body1.jpg]

[attachment=5025:bottomup1.jpg]

[attachment=5026:top2.jpg]

[attachment=5027:back2.jpg]

More pics here

[url="http://www.munkio.com/music/music_seibass.html"]http://www.munkio.com/music/music_seibass.html[/url]

Cheers

Mike