Why become a member? ×

Christmas Songs....

Moody

This might seem a bit odd on in the middle of October, but I need to get practising! We've officially been booked for our debut gig which will be a Christmas Party at a pub in Nottingham on 20th December. We'll be supporting a local covers band. Most of the stuff we do is nineties rock covers (Feeder, QOTSA, Pink etc). Anyway, we've been asked to do a Christmas song as an encore. We're thinking something a bit cheesy and not too serious.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome! We have ruled out our drummers suggestion of “Wombling Merry Christmas”...

I've always wanted to do 'There's No Lights on the Christmas Tree Mother, They're Burning Big Louie Tonight'.
I think it's an old ('40s) number, but I've only heard the Sensational Alex Harvey Band version.

All about the electricity failing because some gangster is getting fried in the electric chair.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='306969' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:39 AM']We are doing Fairy tale of New York, we have'nt a female singer so i dont know how its going to turn out.[/quote]

It'll be rather like Christy Moore's version then

You just have to do this, how can you resist that bassline?

Sadly the good youtube recording of the original ( by the waitresses) has disappeared .. There's the Spice Girls version though, but the bassline's been homogenised for public consumption

Edited by OldGit

We tend to keep things simple and play Jingle Bells and White Christmas punk stylie........although we start White Christmas with 1 guitar and mellow vocal for the 1st verse, get the groans out of the way then punk it to the end.

Gets a laugh and when we last played it we had the hardest looking bloke pogo ing to Jingle Bells, was really quite funny!

[quote name='OldGit' post='306988' date='Oct 15 2008, 12:01 PM']You just have to do this, how can you resist that bassline?[/quote]

That is stunning! Gonna take this one to practise I think and see what the guys think.

Took a crap version of My Chemical Romance doing All I Want For Christmas to practise last night, I think it's a good starting point, but I reckon we could change quite a bit, for a start we have Female vocals, and she can "slut" it up quite a bit. :) :huh:

Some awesome suggestions here I'll defo look into, many thanks, honestly thought I'd be in for a pasting creating such a thread in October!!!

Many thanks all!!

Definitely Slade - it's a party. You might get more fun out of something a bit unusual like Xmas wrapping but the punters won't believe me. Slade will go down well every time, guaranteed. And it's a pretty good bassline anyway, not just plonking on the roots by any means.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIJ9Yb-xwQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIJ9Yb-xwQ[/url]

Edited by KevB