Why become a member? ×

2017 First Build - Piccolo bass

Andyjr1515

Yes - me again, I'm afraid. Like the proverbial bad penny....

I try and do the full builds one at time - especially if they are for other people. It makes the progress more sure and I don't end up getting distracted and then forgetting important stuff ("Oh...yes...mmmm....[b]five [/b]string...mmmm. What, do I have a problem? No, no, of course not. Yes, we did discuss that. Yes - five string, of course it's going to be a five string. Oh, by the way...as we are talking about your build, I was wondering - have you seen the talk about the advantages of really, REALLY tight string spacing. Oh yes...ALL the forward thinking players are going that way....")

What I do do, though, is start getting my thoughts together and start getting bits together for the next build during the times I'm waiting for glue to dry or components to arrive on the prevailing build. I reckon there's a couple of months to go for Nic's Mouradian-style. A few more weeks building and then at least 4 for the finishing. So it is time to at least start getting my thoughts together for the next project

Which is going to be for Pete again - yes THAT Pete - our old gits band's bassist (ref the Jack Bruce Thumb style fretless from a year or so back and the Jack Bruce EB-3ish just finished). But this time [i]it has nothing to do with Jack Bruce!!! [/i] Quite a shock, really. :o

So nothing much will happen on this thread over the rest of 2016, but for early 2017 the plan is:
[list]
[*]Piccolo bass - not a full size bass with piccolo strings, but a physically small bass...probably around 25" scale length maximum
[*]Possibly fan fretted
[*]Chambered and modern f hole - a semi, semi-acoustic :D
[*]Walnut top
[*]Mahogany back
[*]Not sure what for the neck yet
[*]Single P-bass p/up, passive
[*]24 frets
[*]Snakewood fretboard
[/list]
While the glue on Nic's Mouradian has been setting, I've done a few sketches and now drawn it out and checked the size against some walnut I already had. It will be something like this:

The fretboard will use a piece of snakewood I bought relatively cheap a few years back (it is normally very very expensive, but this piece was not big enough for a full size instrument):

More in a couple of months :D

Andy

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1480701207' post='3186608']
I was bound to have one of those one day.
If you go that route, you may have to rethink the passive aspect too.
[/quote]
You see, I like to think I bring the best out of people :D

A preamp would be no problem

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1480852993' post='3187518']
Andy, my Yamaha BEX hollow-body (the orange one I took to the bass bash) has a piezo under the bridge.
Feel free to have a poke around on it if you'd like to look closely into the installation.
[/quote]
Great - thanks, Neil :) It's a way off needing to sort that yet, but good to know I can have a look when the time comes :)

Andy

[quote name='W1_Pro' timestamp='1481015547' post='3188899']
What sort of strings are you planning to put on this Andy?
[/quote]
I haven't worked that out yet, Stuart. Generally, a piccolo bass is full length and has thinner strings to pitch up the octave. This will have a 25" scale. It might be a couple of standard upper strings (the D and G) and a couple of the lower piccolo strings. I should be able to work it out ref target a string tension but it probably will end up being trial and error. Also not certain whether to fan fret it either. Building won't start before the end of the year so plenty of time yet :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1481018672' post='3188935']

I haven't worked that out yet, Stuart. Generally, a piccolo bass is full length and has thinner strings to pitch up the octave. This will have a 25" scale. It might be a couple of standard upper strings (the D and G) and a couple of the lower piccolo strings. I should be able to work it out ref target a string tension but it probably will end up being trial and error. Also not certain whether to fan fret it either. Building won't start before the end of the year so plenty of time yet :)
[/quote]
The other thing I must check (and I should know!) - is a bass one octave lower than a 6 string? If so, is a piccolo bass the same pitch as a baritone guitar? In which case the answer will be ... Baritone strings :) I'll check when I get chance.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1481019813' post='3188951']
I used to own the Manne Mandobass which is a piccolo bass with a 26" scale.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/ManneMandobass.jpg[/IMG]

I strung mine with a bottom 4 strings from a set of TI heavy (with a wound G) guitar strings.
[/quote] Great info - thanks :). Nice looking instrument :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1481034395' post='3189158']
Thanks!

Just had a look at the TI web site and the strings I used were [url=http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/sites/default/files/catalogue/ti_e_guitar_folder_06_13sc.pdf]Infeld Superalloys set IN111[/url] from which I used the 20, 30, 42 52 strings - all wound.
[/quote]That's great, BigRedX. Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Although physically nothing is likely to happen to this until Nic's Mouradian-style has got to the painting and varnishing stage, I have been pondering and researching and asking about and am now close to crystallising a few more of the thoughts.

I checked the relative pitches of bass, baritone and 6 string electric and, as many of you will already know, electric guitar is one octave higher than bass guitar and baritone guitar is tuned differently and pitched somewhere between the two.

Therefore, if I get it wrong, at c 25" scale, my piccolo bass will be a....well...guitar!

Also found out that, with the bottom four strings of a five string set, you can achieve standard bass tuning with acceptable string tension with a c 25" scale instrument.

And so I asked Pete. Did he want a very short bass, or a .... four string guitar? :)

And it's the latter. :)

I now know a bit better where I'm heading. And I'm thinking:
- definitely fanned frets...trying to extend the scale of the low end
- follow BigRedX's thoughts on string choice - heavy end of the guitar string gauges, wound G
- maybe even flat wounds?
- investigate the thoughts of pickup...on that scale and to get that bass 'mojo', will piezo cut the mustard better than coil pickups?

Mmmm.....more pondering and research coming up while I peel the sprouts.....

You could make the f-hole opening in the shape of a large swift like on your headstocks that would look cool.
I have an Alvarez mini travel bass which i think is 27" scale. It is fitted with black tapewound strings. Bottom E response is questionable but overall it's a very playable little instrument.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1482414319' post='3200325']
You could make the f-hole opening in the shape of a large swift like on your headstocks that would look cool.
I have an Alvarez mini travel bass which i think is 27" scale. It is fitted with black tapewound strings. Bottom E response is questionable but overall it's a very playable little instrument.
[/quote]
Great minds think alike....I actually did cut out a swift shape too at the time, but actually, the teardrop looked better :)

Thanks for the additional info too :)