Why become a member? ×

Modern Rock Cover suggestions?

redbandit599

Hi all
I'm just joining a new rock covers band - seem like a good bunch of guys, know their stuff and we already have a shared arsenal of 'standard' tracks between us.

Loooking through them I'm struck that there's not much modern stuff. So what's your tips for really good, pub rock numbers of a more contemporary slant? This band is just aiming to go out and give the punters a good night - nothing more. So all killer, no filler and integrity be damned 😉

Any versions from other genres that cross over well?

Cheers

J

Depends how modern you wanna get, here's a few from last 10 years that seem to work well when I've done them at pub gigs with bands.
Loads more 90's indie/grunge etc.. that works..

Black Keys - Lonely Boy
Imagine Dragons - Radioactive
Biffy Clyro - Many of Horror
Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
Kooks - Naive
Fallout Boy - Sugar, We're Going Down
Stereophonics - Dakota

The stuff I think of as 'modern' is generally at least 10 years old now. If it's post Honky Tonk Women and Alright Now it fits my criteria though. Stuff like

Ready to Go - Republica
Only Happy When it Rains - Garbage
Slither - Velvet Revolver

Will undoubtedly be met with howls of 'They won't know it!' though.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1479119156' post='3173996']
My band does Slither - Velvet Revolver as well. Also Figure it Out - Royal Blood. Open Fire - The Darkness (off the latest album). Numerous Foo Fighters songs. Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet.
[/quote]

My singer won't do Slither, but it's great bass line (and a great song)..

Bohemian like you
Monster the Automatic
Golden Touch Razorlight
Gold On The Ceiling Black Keys
Local Boy Stereophonics
Take Me Our Franz Ferdinand

Loads by the Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Chilli Peppers, Stereophonics (Greenday, Manics,Blur and Oasis if you stretch back to the 90's) Actually the Britpop/Indie period in the 90's, 00's was a bit of a golden era for us covers bands.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1479118828' post='3173987'] we do ain't no rest for the wicked in this style.. works well.. [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCQ0WTsmybA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=JCQ0WTsmybA[/url] [/quote]

I've not heard this before - like it, is it well known?

BSC and Royal Blood good shouts too (thanks all for the input!)

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1479121782' post='3174030']
I've not heard this before - like it, is it well known?

BSC and Royal Blood good shouts too (thanks all for the input!)
[/quote]

The younger folk know it :-) Cage the Elephant are pretty well known... (Or Katie the Elephant as I originally misheard :-) )

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1479121442' post='3174028'] Bohemian like you Monster the Automatic Golden Touch Razorlight Gold On The Ceiling Black Keys Local Boy Stereophonics Take Me Our Franz Ferdinand Loads by the Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Chilli Peppers, Stereophonics (Greenday, Manics,Blur and Oasis if you stretch back to the 90's) Actually the Britpop/Indie period in the 90's, 00's was a bit of a golden era for us covers bands. [/quote]

Cheers - yes, I suppose I'm trying the pick the 'new breed' of songs that are post this period - don't get me wrong this stuff is all good solid pub rock material.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1479120304' post='3174014']
My singer won't do Slither, but it's great bass line (and a great song)..
[/quote]

Ha, our singer quit the band after we introduced Slither to the set, quoting 'musical differences' as the reason. He knew his time was up basically!!

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1479124528' post='3174061']
Ha, our singer quit the band after we introduced Slither to the set, quoting 'musical differences' as the reason. He knew his time was up basically!!
[/quote]

Top tune that - maybe we should a thread of Songs to Get Band Members to quit ;-) Looks like you are near me Ricky - which band do you play in?

Hah hah , Brightlinsea .... what a Small world . I've family there, spent ever summer there and was down the sailing club a few weeks back ,for a family thing , My uncle even sings in a local covers band .

The middle / Sweetness jimmy eat world [i]classics they both go down a treat.[/i]
Bubbles Biffy clyro , [i]Almost a modern classic and you get to break out the fuzz.[/i]
Steady as she goes The Raconteurs ,[i] some nice palm muting for you and a good crowd pleaser .[/i]
Helicoptor Block Party , i[i]mpossible to play the without a big grinning face[/i]
Hounds of love The Futureheads , [i]WOOF with luck you have more than one person willing to shout.[/i]
Hard to beat Hard-fi. [i]dirty driving bass .[/i]
She will be loved / moves like jagger maroon 5
gives you Hell All American Rejects
Hey there Delilah Plain White t's

Oddballs ..

Hey ya , Outkast , Break out that Autowah / synth from your multi-effects .
Welcome to the black parade , My chemical Romance , One for the more rocky venues
How to save a life The fray , If you have access to keys or someone who can fire a off the sample

Good luck , let me know when you're playing the community centre ;-)

Edited by synthaside

To me modern is last two - three years but for people in pubs to really know it maybe last 10 yrs . How about something like:

Shut Up And Dance With Me by Walk The Moon
Uprising, Knights Of Cydonia - Muse
Somebody Told Me by Kaiser Chiefs
I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic At The Disco
21 Guns - Green Day
Do I Wanna Know - Arctic Monkeys
Thnks Fr Th Mmrs, Sugar We're Going Down, Dance Dance - Fall Out Boy
Snow - RHCP
Icky Thump - White Stripes
No One Knows - QOTSA
Pretender - Foo Fighters
Teenagers - My Chemical Romance

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1479121997' post='3174033']
Cheers - yes, I suppose I'm trying the pick the 'new breed' of songs that are post this period - don't get me wrong this stuff is all good solid pub rock material.
[/quote]Yeah that is a bit more problematic for the average pub band. There's been a gradual disappearance of guitar sounds but more importantly an increase in the places people find their music, so few songs achieve the universality of the charts of twenty years ago. There are plenty of great songs though, they just need a bit of work on them to get them to become pub rock songs.

Crazy, Gnarls Barkley. Sing, Ed Sheeran, Ho Hey, Wake Me Up all good crowd pleasers you could rock up, we also do Counting Stars, Pompeii which go OK if you work on the vocals. Lots of rocked up Lady Gaga too. When we looked for stuff to rock up recently all the songs we ended up with were written by one man Max Martin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin who comes from a rock background so many of his songs easily reverse engineer into rock songs.

Good luck with your guitarists though, a lot of modern pop is great for the rhythm section but hated by six stringers.