Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best App for Learning Bass

Lysdexia

Hi guys - my partner has finally decided it's time to learn* to play bass (she's 61) and her perception that I can be impatient, means she would prefer to learn via an iPad app.

Of course I'll be there to encourage her, but I haven't a clue which app might be best for the task at hand.

Any suggestions most welcome - thanks.

*Articles in the press recently - about how playing and instrument is the best thing you can do to aid brain health - are the source of her motivation.

There's tons of information on youtube ect....Scotts Bass Lessons is chock full of lessons and information plus he does a Bass Academy as well which you can join.
Personally i would Google some very basic lessons on scales and arpeggios, some simple 12 bar blues bass lines which when you learn a basic 1-4-5 blues progression you can transfer it to any key good for jamming along to old Blues and Rock and Roll standards that's how i first started and was playing in a Rock and Roll Band after 6 months of picking a Bass up.
Plus there's a ton of information on this very forum plus lots of help and advice....best of luck and enjoy

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1478068278' post='3166436']
There's tons of information on youtube ect....Scotts Bass Lessons is chock full of lessons and information plus he does a Bass Academy as well which you can join.
Personally i would Google some very basic lessons on scales and arpeggios, some simple 12 bar blues bass lines which when you learn a basic 1-4-5 blues progression you can transfer it to any key good for jamming along to old Blues and Rock and Roll standards that's how i first started and was playing in a Rock and Roll Band after 6 months of picking a Bass up.
Plus there's a ton of information on this very forum plus lots of help and advice....best of luck and enjoy
[/quote]

Definitely use YouTube tutorials. Learn the basics, strings, all of the major scales and yes build from the blues. The blues will give you the best foundation for any genre you like.

Blue

There are some good suggestions here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/292669-how-did-you-learn-to-play-bass/

There's no real substitute for a good teacher though imho, for continuing encouragement and guidance. My teacher has often said he prefers working with his older students (some in their 70s) to the youngsters - that we tend to have more patience and stronger motivation. So much so that he is planning to start small-group courses specifically for our age group.

I was 59 when I first picked up a bass guitar, please tell her she's not alone :)