Why become a member? ×

Finished! And now for something completely different ...

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1482867946' post='3203220']
I wish that tactic worked on my wife. There again the quantity of alcohol consumed to get to that point would probably mean the use of power tools is unwise to say the least. Tomorrow I'm going to make some sawdust!
[/quote]
:D

Nic gave me his preferred control layout. There will be also two micro switches but I will finally position those later on. I usually drill the main pot and switch holes before I hog out and rout the chamber:

Also managed to hog out the bulk of the chamber before the first set of 'post-Christmas visitors' descended:

The template and final rout of the chamber will have to wait until tomorrow :rolleyes:

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1482855462' post='3203084']
Well, my tactic of sitting for four days, drink in hand, grinning inebriatedly and inanely at Mrs Andyjr1515 finally worked.

"Why don't you just go back into the cellar and go back to make lots of noise and dust! ANYTHING would be better than seeing your stupid face gawping everywhere!!!"

:D

The luminlay side dots are in. There are cheaper alternatives (and it's a bit of a bind having to order direct from Japan), but the ease of fitment with the neat outer sheath and easy, chip-free sawing makes such a difference.

Basically, it's drill the hole; drop of cyano; press the stick in; cut flush:

The are neat and great both in daylight and in the dark. Here they are fitted - I've gone for the 5mm ones up to the body join:

...and 3mm where the fretboard is flat against the body top:

That's another job crossed off the 'to-do' list :)
[/quote]

Absolutely loving watching your work come along.

Out of interest, do you think it would be possible to retrofit an existing neck with these luminlay side dots?

[quote name='uzzell' timestamp='1482954419' post='3203757']

Absolutely loving watching your work come along.

Out of interest, do you think it would be possible to retrofit an existing neck with these luminlay side dots?
[/quote]
Hi uzzell

Yes - it is relatively straightforward. Exactly how straightforward depends on the thickness of the fretboard and the size and position of the existing dots, if any, and also the existing finish. Nevertheless, in most cases it is eminently achievable. :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

Decent bit of progress this morning.

The bridge has been positioned and fixing screw holes drilled:

The neck/body transition is pretty much there:

...and the control chamber has been routed to finished depth:

Now the bridge is in position, I can pop a couple of spare strings on loosely to line up the positions for the pickups :)

With a couple of spare strings in place to line up with, this is probably where I will position the two pickups.

The 'musicman' isn't actually a musicman - it's a much hotter passive lookalike. The Model One is also very hot and very bassy. As such, I've placed the bridge pickup around 1cm or so closer to the bridge than a Stingray or Sterling. They should give a usable spread of tones between the two pickups and in the middle position, especially as they will be wired to go series / parallel and split for each pickup as well as individual volume and passive tone controls.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1483026720' post='3204254']
Coming on a treat....Nic must be having a breakdown having to watch and wait..
[/quote]
Pacing up and down like an expectant father, I suspect :lol:

The Model One is in:

I will be sinking the whole thing into the top by a couple of mm to give enough clearance for the strings, with the fretboard having been set intentionally low on the top.

I'll do that tomorrow...and also see if I can get the bridge p/up in place too :D

It's starting to pick up a bit of speed post the Christmas lull :)

I get to the stage where I go into risk avoidance mode...which usually means avoiding using a router!

The bridge p/up chamber has therefore been done with a combination of forstner bits to rough out pretty close to the line and my freshly sharpened chisels.

This is in progress:

...and this is in place :)

There's loads of 'fit and function' tasks still to do, but the basic build will be finished this week. Then comes the painting and finishing :D

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1483138894' post='3205079']
:o Wow...love it :gas:
[/quote]
Thanks, White Cloud :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it painted! Weight wise, it's looking like it's going to finish at around 8.5lb, not bad with two such chunky p/ups. Balance should be good too with the long top horn and lightweight tuners.

Well, apart from the control chamber cover that I am still pondering on, the physical build is pretty much finished :)

I slimmed down the back of the headstock to suit the Schaller lightweight tuners, levelled and polished the frets and now have started THE BIG SAND! :

Because complexities of the shape, the sanding and grainfill will probably take a few days. In the meantime the spray primer should arrive through the post (isn't it annoying that the near monopoly retail park stores sell spray paint but almost never stock the primer that the instructions on the tins they do sell emphasise MUST be used! White surface primer shouldn't be an internet job, for goodness sake!) .

I've started doing some colour tests. Nic is after cream for the top, the sides and the wings at the back, leaving the through neck natural. This is one of the colour samples I've tried so far:

Probably not a lot to see over the next few days...except sanding dust ;)

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483385149' post='3206761']
If i wasnt following this keenly before, I definitely am now.

Looking good, I must say.
[/quote]
Now you see my ulterior motive for doing a deal on the veneering. A guy has to get thread followers somehow! :lol:

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483456693' post='3207251']
Thanks, Stuart. So am I :D
[/quote]

So am I.

So much so that I sometimes go to the start of the thread and read it all again.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Snoopy%20happy_zpsi3rmoywo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/Snoopy%20happy_zpsi3rmoywo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1483480232' post='3207604']
So am I.

So much so that I sometimes go to the start of the thread and read it all again.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Snoopy%20happy_zpsi3rmoywo.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Excellent - adds to the 'views' :D

One of the thoughts that Nic triggered was whether the trussrod cover could reflect in someway the cutaway. With a bit of coaxing of my very basic and very inaccurate bandsaw, managed to cut this slice from an offcut of the neck:

...and that got me thinking. If I can coax the bandsaw to cut a longer sliver, use the same wood for the control chamber cover? All being well I will be able to use magnets to hold that in place, whether this wood or a standard cream-painted mahogany :)

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483551450' post='3208180']
Its what we in the industry call clickbaiting.
[/quote] :D

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1483554008' post='3208218']
Love the truss rod cover...great idea well executed.
[/quote]
Thanks! Again, the inspiration was very much Nic's. But then I suppose I had that little flurry of creative thinking too ;) :

What's the phrase - hide it or flaunt it! :lol: