Why become a member? ×

Finished! And now for something completely different ...

Andyjr1515

So, as the EB-3 ish thread came to an end:

"...it gets put in its case to go to it's new home :(

It's like when the kids leave home......

.... :D WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH ALL THE SPACE???

:party:
"

...as one door closes...

...another one opens :crigon_04:

Hello, gelfin and - fittingly on halloween's evening - welcome to my lair :ph34r:

:D

Edited by Andyjr1515

OK - the thread is titled as it is because, to me, this really is "something quite different".

It's another 'in the style of'...but this time, what style!

In the style of Chris Squire's (Yes) stunning Mouradian bass...

Early stages - just sorting out the final shape and spec with Nic (gelfin) but this is now the next full build on the table... :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1477933430' post='3165374']
OK - the thread is titled as it is because, to me, this really is "something quite different".

It's another 'in the style of'...but this time, what style!

In the style of Chris Squire's (Yes) stunning Mouradian bass...

Early stages - just sorting out the final shape and spec with Nic (gelfin) but this is now the next full build on the table... :)
[/quote]
Wow, scariest Halloween get up I've seen all day!

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1477954725' post='3165577']
Are the black lines in the body finish or actual 'cuts' through the body ?
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure I t's just in the finish. It's his initials, CS. The one I'm going to make for Nic is going to be plain cream :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1477991175' post='3165700']
Great! :-D I was getting withdrawal symptoms, you left it such a long time between builds :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1478001359' post='3165828']

Do I detect a note of....cheekiness here??
[/quote]
Well, it was a whole 6 hours, so fair do's to allighatt0r ;)

Although I've still got a few other smaller things on the go (including it being 'that time' in the garden), this project very much isn't forgotten!

I'm planning to start sorting out the body wood and probably order the neck timber next week.

Clearly on a build like this, the body shape is pretty fundamental. I drew out the profile of the original full size and Nic pencilled in some tweaks to do - mainly just slimming down the rear bout, top an bottom just a touch. It is VERY subtle, but actually makes quite a difference to the look. This is the final shape - you can just see the original lines if you look closely!:

We are also developing the spec. Subject to changes as things develop to suit anything specific Nic wants, but so far we have:
[list]
[*]Solid colour - cream
[*]Mahogany top and back to give it 'gravitas' but with judicious weight reducing chambers incorporated
[*]Maple laminated through neck with single centre splice
[*]Rosewood fingerboard
[*]Recess to accommodate a 'hidden' Smoothound wireless tx, but also capable of accepting standard jack
[*]Headstock shape to be decided
[*]P/ups & EQ/No EQ still being discussed (but includes tentative discussion about the DiMarzio Model One - Nic's thoughts and total coincidence that this is what I fitted in the EB-3 but I am WELL impressed with that monster of a pickup!)
[/list]

Loads of other stuff we are knocking around between us. Can't wait to start cutting wood :)

...oh...and by the way...keep steady on the plaudits, much as those are always, always appreciated :) Why? Because Nic has, in his past, built a twin neck version of this himself!!!! I'll leave it to him to decide whether to show or not but it is breathtaking... :D

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1478461339' post='3169204']
It will be 'interesting' getting the finish inside the curves. I look forward to finding out how it should be done :)
[/quote]

Yes - I agree, 3below. I also look forward to finding out how it should be done :lol: Certainly got no idea at the moment!

OK here's the twin version I made a few years ago. Please ignore the player he did that at the request of the bride whos wedding we were playing at.
I would also add that it looks OK on a dark stage but the flaws in the finish are very obvious in natural light. Also I used donor necks from Westone basses.
I just wouldn't attempt a neck build and having played Kerts single cut and loving the neck I have complete confidence in Andy's ability.
This pic has been on the forum before.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Bigbass.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/Bigbass.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1478461656' post='3169209']
Yes - I agree, 3below. I also look forward to finding out how it should be done :lol: Certainly got no idea at the moment!
[/quote]

I was relying on you for this one :gas:

It is time someone invented 'perfect finish', you just spray it on after 80 grit sanding, it self levels, fills large flaws, does not run and sets in 1 hour (ideally less) and repels dust (small insects, dog / cat hairs etc). After the hour a quick buffing with T cut or similar results in a gloss finish that is rock hard yet impervious to dings. Perfect finish is a one coat solution. In other news I just saw a flying pink pig pass over the garden.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1478470407' post='3169311']

I was relying on you for this one :gas:

It is time someone invented 'perfect finish', you just spray it on after 80 grit sanding, it self levels and fills large flaws, no runs and it sets in 1 hour. After that buffing with T cut or similar results in a gloss finish that is rock hard yet impervious to dings.
[/quote]
I'm working on that....it involves a significant amount of alcohol and shellac. You drink the alcohol and then who the f***cares what you do with the shellac ;)

Still not a huge amount to photo but quite a bit of activity on this.

Although the body will be covered in cream paint, I have suggested that we go for 2-layer mahogany (a bit like Pete's recent EB3-ish) for the 'gravitas' and sustain. It will be chambered to keep the weight under control. It is clearly a VERY long body and I feared we might have been looking at some expensive oversize blanks but then had a look through some planks of great mahogany I bought a few years ago. There's one there ample for the four long pieces of the wings :) And it's lovely tight grained stuff too - perfect.

I've ordered the neck splices from the excellent and reliable David Dyke - two plain maple outers and a rosewood 6mm central splice - this should make the neck very similar in look to Tom's African bass (which and who is still doing splendidly and regularly playing in front of big and notable crowds!):

Tom's centre splice is cocobolo but it will be a similar contrast (unless, of course, we paint the neck too!?)

In the meantime, Nic is sending me all sorts of goodies.

Won't be long before there's some cutting and gluing going on :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

OK - I haven't actually started cutting any [i]wood [/i]yet....but I have cut some paper :D

These are the paper templates for cutting the mahogany over the next couple of days. I will be cutting it oversize by a few mm and then file and sand down to final size by hand.

The other thing that has arrived is the neck and fretboard wood:

Not a great photo but David Dyke has once more supplied some excellent timber. Matched maple outers, rosewood inner splice and a lighter toned AAA rosewood fretboard. I got David to slot it too...just £10 to remove all the worry of c*****g it up. Bargain! :lol:

By the end of the weekend, we should have a joined neck blank and the body sections thicknessed, flattened and cut out.

Edited by Andyjr1515