Why become a member? ×

North West Jam Nights

AdamWoodBass

After a frustrating google session looking for jam nights around Manchester and Liverpool I've come to the conclusion that either a) there are jam nights, they are just really badly advertised or B) there aren't many jam nights anymore.

I'm hoping it's the former rather than the latter. I've fairly recently moved back to the North West after living in the Midlands for several years so a lot of the bands I used to play with either no longer exist or have a replacement bass player. After pretty much a 5 year break from playing semi-professionally I really want to start/join a band as I miss gigging but finding musicians seems to be pretty tough at the moment, especially when what you want to be playing is jazz and funk. Jam nights used to be the best place to meet like minded musos and a lot of the projects I used to work with were formed from going to jam nights.

I have an old mate who's very keen to put something together but finding enough people to make a band has proved challenging, particularly finding a drummer. There does comes a point where playing on headphones on your own to backing tracks just doesn't cut it anymore, I need to play with other humans!

Matt and Phred's seems to be a fairly regular fixture, I'm wondering if anyone North West based knows of others I should be checking out?

Not sure if this is too far, but there is one every weds in Wrexham. Not sure what it's like but is run by the same guys each week and gets a decent turn out I hear.

Also, there's a blues jam on the last thurs of each month at Telford's warehouse in Chester. My mate Charlie runs that with his houseband.

Depends where you're based. Matt and Phred's on Mondays I find can be a tad elitist, I've been a few times but I've never felt comfortable there. There are a couple knocking around Rochdale on Thursday nights, the main one probably being The Flying Horse in the town centre. You definitely want to take plugs to that one and I know a lot of people who've been once and never bothered again, and I'm going a lot less than I used to.

There are tonnes of jams in the NW, just godda find the good ones! I go to one in Leigh every other Thursday which is quite good!

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1477594789' post='3163284']
Have a look on the 'north west bands' site and post a bass player available ad. Some open mic nights also posted on there on the community blog.
[/quote]

NWB is not allowing any new account set-ups at present (but a new paid membership version with subscriptions available for bands and venues will be available next year).

www.nwmusicians.co.uk is taking registrations to fill the gap until NWB v2 comes along..

The girl who sings in my soul band runs one in Manchester, I'll get the details and pop them in here. Some chaps from a band I occasionally engineer are the house band for a fairly new one over in Burnley if that's not too far out the way too. I'm off to bed now because it's 5:15 and I've just got in, but I'll get some info over the weekend!

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1477586034' post='3163213']

[/quote]

These three are top blokes, top musicians run a good jam and it's a good venue.
Get yourself there and get on the page Ian linked in post #9
You will have a great night and a good laugh.

Also, with the NW bands website, although you can't register, some of the ads do put a phone no on.

Good luck, won't take you long to find a band.