Why become a member? ×

Buying a Bass from Amazon and Selling on eBay for Massive Profits!

thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1477578383' post='3163133']
I guess it looks like I'm just an over-caring, naive sort of person who hates people being taken advantage of, even if sometimes, it is their own fault. :(
[/quote]

I don't like it either... but what are you going to do about it?
You can't win. There will always be someone. I think the best we can do is 'educate' our loved ones on the ways of the world so that they know to avoid those 'traps'.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1477579463' post='3163145']
It is a cynical, nasty way to go about business.

It's something that should be talked about and threads like this are important and would be even better if spread over Facebook and other popular social media. Seeing a conversation like this might encourage someone who is not so internet savvy to learn the skills needed to not get ripped off.
[/quote]

exactly!

i wonder how people feel about the reverse situation?

It's just as common on eBay for people to sell things way below market value because they don't understand the working mechanism of eBay or haven't researched enough.

I've seen lots of amazing bargains that have been snapped up quickly (some by me!) but we rarely see threads bemoaning the plight of the seller who may have been hit with a big loss on his sale.

Quick edit - I saw one of these recently. A genuine 66 Jazz priced at least £1,500 below market value. I contacted the seller and he increased the price and told me he actually got a lot more interest at the higher value, lol

Edited by molan

Have to say, I'm on the side of expecting the buyer to take responsibility for the price they pay.

Its not like a new bass is a basic human right, and even if we think otherwise (somebody's going to tell me that it is, aren't they) it's not like this one seller controls the supply. If someone can't be bothered to check the price, even against other eBay listings, then they should take the blame for being over charged.

And it's in our control to change it - if nobody pays the inflated price then the seller's business model fails.

Off topic slightly but it's the same with ticket touts. Nobody has a devine right or a basic human need to go and see a band (again, I'm expecting some barracking here from this crowd) so if nobody pays the stupid prices the touts will soon go out of business.

Unfortunately people are idiots

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1477680747' post='3163888']
i wonder how people feel about the reverse situation?

It's just as common on eBay for people to sell things way below market value because they don't understand the working mechanism of eBay or haven't researched enough.

I've seen lots of amazing bargains that have been snapped up quickly (some by me!) but we rarely see threads bemoaning the plight of the seller who may have been hit with a big loss on his sale.

Quick edit - I saw one of these recently. A genuine 66 Jazz priced at least £1,500 below market value. I contacted the seller and he increased the price and told me he actually got a lot more interest at the higher value, lol
[/quote]Maybe it was one of those, if it looks too good, it is a ripoff scenario

I don`t really see too much wrong with what the seller is doing. The price is clearly put up, so there is no doubt as to what people are paying. I don`t see how they are ripping people off, as there is no deceit taking place, they are just acting as middle men . I really don`t see how anyone buying a bass for £800 plus can not know the rough value of such a bass in the first place. Has anyone bought car insurance for £557.02 when you can get the same deal for £200? Same scenario for me.If you type in Ibanez 500 on the ebay site, you get all the prices from £300 second hand, and the retail price, and the rip off prices,, so the same as using Money Supermarket site.

Edited by timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1477812772' post='3164515']
Maybe it was one of those, if it looks too good, it is a ripoff scenario
[/quote]

He was quite genuine and a nice guy. Simply didn't realise how valuable the bass was.

I nearly bought it purely to sell but felt bad about it so alerted him and he got the extra £1,500 for it.

I then bought something else from him that he gave me a good price on to say thanks :)