Why become a member? ×

Bit of a strange week...

DawnPatrol1990

I'll try not to go on too long on this one. This last week has been a strange one for me in terms of my bass playing and my equipment.

Since I was 18, I've had all my bass amp gear rack mounted. Wireless, effects, amps, even the couple of pedals I had in my rig but due to health issues (I have pretty bad damage to my back), I've switched completely to pedals. In the space of 1 week, I've sold off all of my rack rig to replace it with the pedals. So yeah, i've replaced all that stuff with a Darkglass B7K & Compressor, Boss Chorus & Delay, EHX Bass Muff and Jim Dunlop wah (the latter 2 were part of my set up anyway).

It just feels weird to be giving up using a rack set up and going to pedals. The realisation came when travelling to a band practise 2 weeks ago and having to lug my rack case on to the track along with my bass. By the time I got there, my back was in total agony and practise was a little uncomfortable. What's even worse is that my tone was the best i've ever heard it.

Once I got home, I just ended up laying down for a few hours and necking pain pills! What i ended up doing was designing out a board that would fit in a laptop bag and took up looking which pedals I could achieve the same sound or better with which is why I ended up with what I've ordered. I know it seems like my basses could be the problem but I mainly use a Jackson bass which has quite a light weight body so that's my main one to use over a long period. My other go to bass isa Tobias which is slightly on the heavy side but balanced nicely so doesn't feel heavy if you get where i'm coming from?

Sorry to go on a bit, it's just a bit of a strange feeling changing what i'm so used to haha.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476641623' post='3155900']
Depending on if you need a DI or not, the Zoom MS60-B has many different effects on it, all in one Boss sized pedal. You can use four effects at a time I believe, so even two of those would cover most areas.
[/quote]

I've got the Darkglass B7K as my DI out Lozz but thanks for the heads up! My new set up as off today (some are yet to arrive but have been ordered) is:

MXR Power Brick
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Darkglass Super Symmetry
Darkglass B7K
Dunlop Bass Wah
EHX Bass Big Muff
Digitech Multi-Voice Chorus/Boss Super Chorus (I tend to switch at the moment)
Boss DD-3 Delay

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1476635296' post='3155828']
I ditched all of my pedals about 6 months ago, and I'm now using a MacBook, soon to be replaced by an iPad :).
[/quote]
I too ditched all my stomps -- the Deep Impact too, that took a deep breath -- and went down the Line 6 route. A Bass Pod XT Live in my case. Weighs about the same as the pedalboard but neater and more convenient. Ok so the models aren't as good as the real thing, but hey, it's live. Nobody notices but me 😄😄

I've had what I consider to be a lot of pedals on my board before now - think I had 8 on there at one time. I know that's nothing by some folks standards, but it seemed a lot to me.

Gradually worked it down to being just a micro pog, EBS Billy sheehan deluxe, Sansamp Para Driver and a clip on tuner!