Why become a member? ×

New 350 cap. Venue in Cardiff looking for bands

OldGit

Lucky me! A new 350 capacity venue is opening a stone's throw from my front door :)

"Promoter Alan Jones is opening a new live music venue in Cardiff next month - the Globe (capacity 350) is based in the former cinema of that name in Albany Road, Roath. [very close to the Claude if you know the venues in the area]

It'll offer all genres of live music including jazz, blues and world music - [snip] it would suit bands that attract a good crowd at Cafe Jazz but would like more room for the audience to dance, plus visiting artists who aren't quite big enough to fill a 500-capacity venue like the Point.

If you're interested in playing there, call Alan Jones on 07973 715875 or email [email protected] "

I look forward to seeing loads of you Cardiff and area basschatters playing headline and support gigs there .. just kep it down when you are loading out, ok?

:huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='302913' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:35 PM']Hmmmm, don't think we'd pull 35 let alone 350. Wonder who's the first established act to play there?[/quote]

It looks like they've got Michelle Shocked, Dreadzone and The Wholigans booked. Not really heard of any of them before.

Cool, can only be a good thing. We're playing The Point tomorrow night, it's a great venue but they've got real neighbour problems... I hope this new place fares a bit better.
[quote name='The Funk' post='302925' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:48 PM'][b]Michelle Shocked, Dreadzone [/b].... Not really heard of any of them before.[/quote]What?? Go to the bottom of the class :) :huh:

[quote name='Rich' post='302931' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:52 PM']Cool, can only be a good thing. We're playing The Point tomorrow night, it's a great venue but they've got real neighbour problems... I hope this new place fares a bit better.
What?? Go to the bottom of the class :) :huh:[/quote]

or at least Google ...

"The Globe" was a fleapit cinema notorious for a more "interactive" experience than perhaps people wanted from thier films ...

That was demolished and a nice little shopping thing put up with a nice litte art house cinema. That either never opened of only opened for a short while. This venture in in that space.

Should be good and anice addition to the med capacity venues ..

[quote name='Jase' post='303040' date='Oct 9 2008, 02:30 PM']I'd never heard of [url="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/amnesiac81/?action=view&current=VTS_01_0-1.flv"]The Wholigans[/url] but here they are :) Must cost a bit replacing guitars![/quote]

That could possibly be the lamest thing I have ever seen.

nice to see someone trying a new venue in cardiff.
albany road is a bit of a trek if you live on the west side of cardiff but if the music is good I will welcome it!
I heard a bit about the 800 capacity venue with tantrum- sicknote will no doubt be playing...

this November also sees the welcome return of Swn Fest.
based on the camden crawl thing, one ticket means entry to all the gigs around the city for the weekend.
sweet!

[url="http://www.swnfest.com/"]http://www.swnfest.com/[/url]

on other cardiff news- my old flat mate has taken over managing Tafod (below Nos da formerly riverside Hotel, opposite millenium stadium)
I think he'll be looking to hire the venue out a bit if anyone is interested and also promote the occasional gig.
he's putting on a band called Dogshow this saturday from Liverpool if anyone fancies it (they are meant to be awesome)

[quote name='The Funk' post='303097' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:46 PM']Don't know - I quite enjoyed that, actually. :)[/quote]

I can't believe Pete is still angry anough to do it for real ... (unless he'd just got out of court ...) so that was juts a sad old man re-living his youth, for me ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='303295' date='Oct 9 2008, 08:22 PM']I can't believe Pete is still angry anough to do it for real ... (unless he'd just got out of court ...) so that was juts a sad old man re-living his youth, for me ..[/quote]

Agreed, the first time was organic a part of rock history after that it's just a stage act.

In the seconds before he smashed the strat, he played the most guitar I've ever heard him play. Then he just seemed really into the moment and smashed up his Strat. I thought it was cool to see a man in his 60s smash up his guitar - seeing as he was the first guy to do it. And it was always a stage gimmick.

Edited by The Funk