Why become a member? ×

Small home practice combo

bassintheface

As the title,
I'm in the market for a small ish, but quality home practice combo - ideally with headphone output plus an AUX in.

I've had a quick look at the Phil Jones BG75 - any good?

Any other similar recommendations?

I guess the other option is some decent monitors, an interface and and a decent pre like a bass buddy or similar??

Cheers!

I was recently looking for a small combo for home / small gig / monitor.
I looked at Fender Rumble (which I use as my main gigging rig), Markbass, TC and ended up walking out with a GK MB110.
10", 100W, DI out, nice EQ, very, very lightweight, aux in, headphone socket and the option to add one of their powered cabs at a later date if required. I even used it at a small wine bar gig the other night (as a monitor for my EUB). I'm really impressed and all for less than £300.

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1475766982' post='3148615']
As the title,
I'm in the market for a small ish, but quality home practice combo - ideally with headphone output plus an AUX in.

I've had a quick look at the Phil Jones BG75 - any good?

Any other similar recommendations?

I guess the other option is some decent monitors, an interface and and a decent pre like a bass buddy or similar??

Cheers!
[/quote]

If you go the interface route you don't really need a pre. I go straight into an interface into Logic, and out through headphones. If you buy the lowest latency interface you can afford, you can use the EQs, compressors and a million different plugins in your DAW to shape your tone. I personally don't use any of that, literally straight in and that's it, love the dry tone just as it is. Decent headphones and / or monitors are essential though.