Why become a member? ×

Lakland Bass

chrisgil

[quote name='chrisgil' post='302507' date='Oct 8 2008, 08:19 PM']Hi all
I bought a Lakland off here last year.

It constantly needs adjusting because the neck goes out so easily.
Does anyone have this problem, and can anything be done?

its a 4-94[/quote]

What needs adjusting? The truss rod? The saddles?

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='302618' date='Oct 8 2008, 10:06 PM']my advice: don't end up bashing it into the bassdrum at the end of every gig[/quote]

I only use it in the studio,
dont use this one live.

Only has to be sitting in the studio, and the truss rod will go out.
I use Medium gauge strings.

If the truss rod is damaged, is there any way of getting that sorted?

[quote name='chrisgil' post='303117' date='Oct 9 2008, 04:12 PM']I only use it in the studio,
dont use this one live.

Only has to be sitting in the studio, and the truss rod will go out.

If the truss rod is damaged, is there any way of getting that sorted?[/quote]

That sounds off. There is no reason why that neck should be doing that. Maybe you should contact Lakland and see what they think. They may be feeling generous and offer to supply a replacement neck. I don't know. If you don't ask, you don't get...

[quote name='chrisgil' post='303117' date='Oct 9 2008, 04:12 PM']....Only has to be sitting in the studio, and the truss rod will go out.

If the truss rod is damaged, is there any way of getting that sorted?....[/quote]
I'm sorry but what does "the truss rod will go out" mean? Does the neck bend/warp? Does it go out of tune if the bass is left standing in the studio? How often does this happen? Daily? Hourly?
I can't imagine Dan Lakin giving a neck to a second owner of one of his basses, but I bet it can easily be fixed by a decent repair man.

When I was considering a Lakland I did a fair bit of research, seemed to suggest that every now & again there was a dudd that left the factory in between most of the high quality instruments, however this seemed mainly for Skylines.

Anyway yeah as said above you could contact them direct. They are known to respond pretty fast.

I have this problem with two of my basses, and it's very annoying! On the one I don't even bother putting the truss rod cover on, so frequently do I have to adjust it. When I had a Lakland I found the neck pretty stable, although I did need to tweak it now and again. I also tend to notice the relief changing, even if it's only by a small amount, because I run a very low action - are you the same?

EDIT: I should mention that my bass was a Skyline series.

Edited by Mokl

Unless the studio is subject to big changes in temperature or humidity then something is probably up with the rod.

Could be your truss rod nut isnt gripping into the wood anymore. A repairer could just do the simple thing of putting a new washer onto the end of the truss rod so it grips a bit better. I had a similar problem on a 70s Fender and this sorted the problem out for me.

I dont think Laklands have a reputation for this sort of thing. :)

I purchased my marcus jazz and replaced the strings with lighter ones straight away. The neck ( skinny C shape maple) definately moved. I tweeked it a few times and in the end took a bit of advice as well. I am no expert, but some woods move and have "memory" and will try to return to a former position. Make slight adjustments and leave a few days in betwen tweeks. I replace one string at a time these days during a re string which is another piece of advice given to me. It plays like a dream.

[quote name='chrisgil' post='303477' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:52 AM']Got an email from them asking if they want me to send it to them to have a look.

How much roughly would it cost to get it to them? posting from the UK[/quote]

Just the neck or the whole bass?