Why become a member? ×

New Bass Recommendations!

BrewA1

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1475752504' post='3148434']
@Johnny Wishbone - have you tried any yet? Despite one of their models sharing a body-design Warwick's & Spectors have completely different tones so I find it a little odd that you'd be considering both - definitely worth trying before you buy as what you like about one might not necessarily be there in the other.
[/quote]
True - I have played a Corvette before, and have just borrowed a Spector off a mate to see how I get on with it. I guess as I already play Warwicks I'm probably going to end up with the Corvette, but I have always liked Spectors so I really want to give one a proper tryout, rather than just 10-15 mins in a shop through a random amp! For the money they look hard to beat.

[quote name='Bassbadger' timestamp='1475751632' post='3148421']
How about the new Volante? Fenderesque with P+J pickups, series/parallel switching and a high-mass bridge.
[/quote]
That is nice, and I do like Jazzes (I already own one, and a Jaguar which is of course P/J). I'm more of a 24-fret guy though, just due to years of playing Warwicks.

Nice price though, and the aesthetics are certainly very appealing (block inlays, tort guard).

Yeah - they're both good choices, just wanted to warn you that they won't necessarily sound the same but as you've just borrowed a Spector you'll hear it for yourself.

I'm sure you already know but if financing is the only driver towards you needing to buy new you can use credit cards on paypal now so if you can find a second hand seller that will take paypal you could pop it on a 2-year 0% card & finance it that way which would probably work out cheaper than store credit/loans so long as you pay it off in full by the end of the period.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1475756360' post='3148487']
so long as you pay it off in full by the end of the period.
[/quote]
That's always the problem though, isn't it? :lol:

The annoying thing is that the pics on the shop websites aren't always accurate - they seem to use a generic stock pic for different basses of the same range (i.e. one I was looking at has gold hardware *shudder* listed in the spec but has black in the picture).

Thanks for the input and again, sorry for the hijack of the OP's thread.

Must say I think this is a really personal decision, incorporating the stuff you play and the way you play it. If you want a variation away from your precision then get out there and try everything* you can, but if not just get another p.

I'm happy with my Peaveys and Warwick for hard rock sounds and rock-solid stability.

*unless you're a lefty and then just choose one of the two basses on offer.

Edited by bigjimmyc

Thanks all for the suggestions, just to reiterate, £1500 was an absolute max, I'll consider anything up to that amount.

Missed out on the marcus miller jazz. After a bit more research I stumbled upon the Modern Player Jazz series, seems like a viable option, skinny neck, will provide a different sound to the P (and thick and heavy due to humbuckers!), passive (forgot to mention I prefer passive, my pedals provide quite a high output with a lovely deep sound so active pups would be a bit too much).

Any thoughts on this series?

Or other suggestions, keep them coming!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1475754641' post='3148463']
Get something from Maruszczyk, and do something nice with your change from £1500.
[/quote]

Came in here about to say this, the options with them are insane. I've got a custom speesy on order and it was far, far less than 1500.