Why become a member? ×

How far do you travel for a pub covers gig?

spike

Most of ours have been the same in the 250 range (although the last 2 we went to have put that up for next time, which is flattering!). My income has gone down as I left a 3 piece and joined a 4 piece!
But honestly looking at some of the responses here about how people are travelling, I gig most weekends, sometimes friday and sat, and 90% of my gigs are within 5 minutes of my house, so I am actually pretty happy with that.

About an hour and a half each way is the norm for me. Normally means very late getting home (2-3am) after locking up the van etc but it's my choice to gig away from where I live and work. The tiredness gets me but I remind myself that gigging is a privilege. It would be ace to have roadies and a 10 minute drive but it's not going to happen.

The last gig I did, I drove 60 miles each way for £20, to a luke-warm reception in a pub, but I was happy as I got to play for the first time in years.
I was asked if I could fill in at the weekend in London (2.5 hour drive away) and I would've loved to have played if I could but I was working so had to turn it down.
If I was in a band and gigging regularly then I guess my attitude would change, but currently I'd go a long way out of my way just to get to play.

For a pub gig I'd rather not travel more than 30 minutes but if I'm really having fun with the band then I'll be flexible. However it's not a deal breaker so I'll just go with the flow.

To be honest though, I'm kind of over the pub thing. I've done enough pub gigs in my time so now they are really just paid rehearsals or a stepping stone to getting to bigger venues.

I had a stint doing working men's clubs, mainly in north London. So driving from Hemel could take a bit longer. But the money was better and it was nice to play proper raised stages :D Tough gigs though!