Why become a member? ×

The 6th string

bassbora

Hi guys I am just curious, I have been playing 5 string basses for a long time and I use the B string a lot in all types of music. I have been thinking of possibly getting a 6 string but I am not sure how much I would use that extra string. How are you guys finding that extra string? Are you using it or not really?

Any views/opinions/remarks welcome.

Thanks

Interesting question. I too am thinking of expanding more from 4 to 5/6.

I've got a 5, but can't say I use the B much apart from avoiding reaching beyond the 5th. So I guess I'm asking, is the added string really all about saving the effort of moving about much?
When do you use the additional string(s)?

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1473144490' post='3127247']
A lot of people use them for doing chords - I dabbled in it when I had a high c on my 5 string, they do sound nice.
[/quote]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1473146583' post='3127260']
As mentioned above, I use the high C in chords mostly... I don't find the extra width in the neck a hindrance so I like to have the option of a high c for th odd occasion I use it :)

On an related note, thinking of trying TI flats on my sixer...
[/quote]

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1473151496' post='3127317']
I use it a lot when I'm jamming in my funk band, or making wild sounds or playing chords in my weird metal band, but now I think about it, I do quite a bit of work for other people's pop/rock/folk/country and I doubt I've used it once in any of these situations.
[/quote]

Yup all of these. I like chords, play melodies, double up on guitar harmonies and certainly with the styles of music I like to play, there's plenty of options for getting off the 'first five frets' to play something across octaves. Tapping sounds great on a six. I like tapping chord shapes with my right hand whilst hammering out a bass line with my left. Not always mind. It's not a show off technique for me. I'll never do a shred video etc. If a song warrants it then it's a useable technique. Works well when you don't have a keys or rhythm player. In fact, having the high C means that I can strum chords in just the same way an acoustic guitarist does. I depped for an acoustic gig once and I was slightly overwhelmed by the kind comments about playing the bass like a guitar. It was a really big full sound that suited the material perfectly.

I'll just reiterate what others have said. They're great for playing chords, melodic lines, soloing etc.

In my solo stuff I use the high C all the time, usually up past the 12th fret.

I don't use the high C so much in my jazz gigs, though it is really nice to end a song on a nicely voiced chord. I get a lot of nice comments about doing stuff like that.

A lot of jazz guys, like Matt Garrison, Janek Gwizdala, Hadrien, I think Richard Bona, have their 5 string basses strung with a high C.

Check out some players, people like John Patitucci, Steve Lawson, Neil Fountain, Jared Lees or Anthony Jackson, John Myung in. There's a whole load of bassists using a 6 string.

To address the B string question, I use it a lot. I use the low D often and even open B. I play both in covers band and a chilled singer/songwriter band and to use the B string to fill out sound is great. I also use it for more vertical playing instead of horizontal you might have to do on a 4 string.

I do have a 6 string fretless which I use but I don't tend to use the C string much. I got it originally cause I was playing a lot of jazz but then kids came along and playing bass took the back seat for few years. I have used quite a bit chords when playing 5 so thought about getting a 6 to get even more out of it. But the more I think of it I am not sure I would use the extra string that much so was very curious about others experience.

Perhaps it was me just coming up with an excuse to get another bass.

I have a NT Thumb six from 86. It was my dream bass as a lad. Got it just 3 years ago and I love it to bits. I has a B so digital and clear it could kill a pig at 50 feet and rings like a bell at the top. It isn't sweet its just a dirty beast :-) What I don't use fully I will learn to use.

Edited by pmjos