Why become a member? ×

Moving gear around

coasterbass

Bit of an odd question here.
We've got a big London gig on Friday and so we need to get our kit too and from the venue. Problem is, that there's no parking there, and everyone wants/needs to drink so there's no chance of someone driving a van home.
Aside from loading everything into some cabs at 2am, has anyone got any other ideas? Are there Man&Van places that operate into the early hours? Has anyone used a band transport company and have any recommendations??
Cheers.

we've used a guy called pete - a man with a van, who's also a guitarist and a guitar tech

www.myspace.com/theamputator

tell him the bass player from eat lights sent you...who know, he may even remember me !

lovely guy...ran us and our stuff from stamford hill to brixton, and picked us up again and ran us back again....no hassles at all. think he charged us ~£50 all in - a lot less than taxis late at night, and you get to ride in an ex-dutch army vw transporter :)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='300285' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:17 AM']How much gear you got?

We are playing in London on Friday and might be able to sort something out as we are taking the van.[/quote]

Thanks.
Its backline really - 8 guitars, drums, keyboards.... but 12 people at 2am too.... :)

[quote name='coasterbass' post='300338' date='Oct 6 2008, 10:54 AM']Thanks.
Its backline really - 8 guitars, drums, keyboards.... but 12 people at 2am too.... :)[/quote]

Yeah I don't think would have room for that sorry buddy it was worth a try.

But if anyone ever needs stuff moved about we have a van that is only used on gig nights.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='301051' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:23 AM']Yeah I don't think would have room for that sorry buddy it was worth a try.

But if anyone ever needs stuff moved about we have a van that is only used on gig nights.[/quote]

Thanks again, and will def keep it in mind for the future

I wouldn't leave any gear at the gig-too easy for things to go 'missing'. Surely if there's 12 of you travelling,someone should be willing to drive. It's more important that you know you are going to get home with all of your gear than for everyone to get seriously rat-arsed.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='302101' date='Oct 8 2008, 12:44 PM']:)

Three basses, 5 guitars. + WAGS!!![/quote]

just out of interest where are you playing?

If i wasn't out myself on Friday i would have offered to let you put all the gear at my work place overnight (or even over the weekend). I have the keys and we arent open over the weekend.
Its in Holborn so just outside the west end.
But ill be in Bristol that night and doubt i would be back in time to let you in.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='302200' date='Oct 8 2008, 02:26 PM']just out of interest where are you playing?

If i wasn't out myself on Friday i would have offered to let you put all the gear at my work place overnight (or even over the weekend). I have the keys and we arent open over the weekend.
Its in Holborn so just outside the west end.
But ill be in Bristol that night and doubt i would be back in time to let you in.[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer.
We're playing the Islington Carling Academy on Upper St., 7-10pm (anyone who fancies dropping in is more than welcome and gets a free beer!)

In the end we've resorted to the old favourite of Addison Lee. Three MPV's at 2am will get everything home safely and they've never let us down yet.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='302217' date='Oct 8 2008, 02:39 PM']Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer.
We're playing the Islington Carling Academy on Upper St., 7-10pm (anyone who fancies dropping in is more than welcome and gets a free beer!)

In the end we've resorted to the old favourite of Addison Lee. Three MPV's at 2am will get everything home safely and they've never let us down yet.[/quote]

How did you get a gig at the Carling academy?

Damn I've always wanted to play there.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='302217' date='Oct 8 2008, 02:39 PM']Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer.

In the end we've resorted to the old favourite of Addison Lee. Three MPV's at 2am will get everything home safely and they've never let us down yet.[/quote]

WOW, cool gig. wish i was coming along to that one, i live at Old st so could have walked to it.

Glad your sorted and Good luck.

Cheers guys!
Yeah we're pretty stoked and the nerves/excitement are kicking in. Looking forward to soundchecking with a 50kw PA :) Might bring my 5 string for a laugh.

How did we get the gig?? Well, as we just play weddings and corporate parties, every year we pick a venue and hire it privately. Then we flog tickets to our mates to try and recoup the cost. We've worked our way up year by year, from The Spitz, to Bush Hall, to ULU last year, and now the Islington Academy. We've sold 400 tickets so far, and hope for a lot more on the night!!

[quote name='coasterbass' post='302278' date='Oct 8 2008, 03:39 PM']Cheers guys!
Yeah we're pretty stoked and the nerves/excitement are kicking in. Looking forward to soundchecking with a 50kw PA :) Might bring my 5 string for a laugh.

How did we get the gig?? Well, as we just play weddings and corporate parties, every year we pick a venue and hire it privately. Then we flog tickets to our mates to try and recoup the cost. We've worked our way up year by year, from The Spitz, to Bush Hall, to ULU last year, and now the Islington Academy. We've sold 400 tickets so far, and hope for a lot more on the night!![/quote]

Ah, my next question (if i was coming ) would have been to get in on the guest list ;-)

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='302396' date='Oct 8 2008, 06:02 PM']Have you asked the venue about possible places to park a van or something. Surely they'd be used to accomodating tour buses and such things.[/quote]

Apparently not. There's load in and load out ramps, but then the local NCP carpark gets a plug, and thats £30 overnight + you have to be back for 7.30am.

I think the key is that we fall into the category of guys who want to get drunk after the gig, but can't afford someone to take care of us. :) Coming to a gutter near you sometime soon! :huh:

[quote name='coasterbass' post='302477' date='Oct 8 2008, 07:47 PM']Apparently not. There's load in and load out ramps, but then the local NCP carpark gets a plug, and thats £30 overnight + you have to be back for 7.30am.

I think the key is that we fall into the category of guys who want to get drunk after the gig, but can't afford someone to take care of us. :) Coming to a gutter near you sometime soon! :huh:[/quote]

I would imagine there are back streets off the main road. my Nan used to live down st peters street (the other side of the green) and there were no parking restrictions down that road. Thats only mins away.
Still, seems like yo h ave it sorted and as you say, no one wants to drive anyway.