Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

I had a Stealth 4 string & sold it quite quickly, there was a harshness in the mid-range that I just couldn't e.q. out. It came to dominate everything to my ears. I subsequently bought a Streamline & that thing killed from day one, in fact I would say it is the best Status model I've played. Stupidly sold it to Outtoplayjazz of this parish & have regretted it ever since.

Currently one on eBay, just appeared today: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Status-Graphite-5-String-Headless-Electric-Bass-/191961441612?hash=item2cb1cb254c:g:PQgAAOSwFe5Xyu4H
Price... maybe a touch high for a starting bid IMO as it looks like a stock Stealth.

Have recently, a month ago, bought a secondhand Streamline 5 and playing this weekend was the first time I felt like I connected with it and got a sound I like - and it was awesome. Also took me a while to get it sorted strap wise but now I've got that worked out this bass is probably the best I've had to date. So, maybe don't discount the Streamline quite yet. If you live down south, anywhere near Somerset you're welcome to come try it out (actually, you're welcome to come and try it out wherever you are in the ountry :D)

I've had GAS for a Stealth2 4 string for a few years but they are like hens teeth second hand and c.£2k new is hard to justify. I've heard a few comment that the sound is a bit 'brittle' however which means I'll probably hang on to my Streamline which I've always found quite neutral and even warm with the right eq.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1472999257' post='3125881']
I had a Stealth 4 string & sold it quite quickly, there was a harshness in the mid-range that I just couldn't e.q. out. It came to dominate everything to my ears. I subsequently bought a Streamline & that thing killed from day one, in fact I would say it is the best Status model I've played. Stupidly sold it to Outtoplayjazz of this parish & have regretted it ever since.
[/quote]

I'd echo this. it's a long time ago since I had a Stealth but it was just too brittle/harsh. I was expecting the same when I played a Streamline but it was a a lot warmer. It sounds better than an S2 to me.

Bear in mind Rob might have tweaked the Stealth preamp since then.

Edited by markorbit

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1473155497' post='3127383']
The excessive brightness is a bit more of a concern- I am looking for a more 'modern' tone, very even in response with a broad frequency range. I have the 'warm thumper' and mid-way Fender sounds covered, so an extended response in the top end is part of the equation. However, I get the impression from comments that the sound is a little unpleasant and hard to work with. Is that the case, or is it more that the bass just isn't capable of a standard Fender tone?

I may see if Mr Green is willing to wire one up straight passive- I do all my shaping outboard anyway, so if the preamp is heavily biased I could lose that and take the 9v's out of the equation too!

[/quote]

I would say the former. The Stealth was to be my modern sounding bass & it did sound modern but that brittleness just dominated everything, it drove me mad trying to kill it. In the end I concluded it was fundamental to the instrument & cut my loses. I think it's a bass you need to try before you buy, but that's not going to be easy. The only upside is if you buy a secondhand one you'll sell it in no time if it isn't for you. If it were my money though I'd take a Streamline every time, it is still modern sounding, has the broad frequency range & the even response but sounds better & costs less.

Never had an issue with the ergonomics of the Streamie. The strap placement and balance of the instrument is such that you can place the neck where you want it and it stays there which is always a bonus (for the Wymanesque moments....). I generally find it more comfortable to play than my MMs - certainly on a longer gig. The only learning I had was the 'singlecut' nature of the bass, you have to get used to the 'groove' on the back of the neck from 12th onwards, that didn't take too long but I would reccommend that you try one first to see how this feels for you.

I had a 4 string Streamline. It was the neck profile that made me sell it, but the rest was a joy to play. Great balance and so easy on my back!

The EQ is very neutral when flat and it took different strings very well.

If the 5 strings have a rounder neck profile then I'd like to try one at some point.

The smaller body does take a bit of getting used to - it's not great sitting on the knee so it still needs a strap for that, but other than that it's lovely.