Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 3, good nick, low start price

Paul S

Be interesting to see what this fetches. They are serious basses. Too heavy for me.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westone-Thunder-3-/182260357189?hash=item2a6f905845:g:oFYAAOSwFV9XxBdF"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westone-Thunder-3-/182260357189?hash=item2a6f905845:g:oFYAAOSwFV9XxBdF[/url]

Good spot, watching - more out of curiosity than anything else.

A little bit disconcerted by the high-ish looking action (certainly up the Dusty End) and the saddles appearing to be adjusted right down. Points to a couple of possibilities - excessive neck bow, (worst case scenario shagged trussrod) or - which I think is more likely - that's as low as it goes with that bridge.

I've encountered a few Japanese & Korean neckthrough builds from the same era with this issue, particularly after big chunky bridges became fashionable. My Washburn SB40 was like that - nothing that couldn't be sorted after 20 minutes with a small round file - but in this instance I think I'd want a look before handing over money. Unless it was a proper stupid bargain. :D

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1472490360' post='3121530']
Good spot, watching - more out of curiosity than anything else.

A little bit disconcerted by the high-ish looking action (certainly up the Dusty End) and the saddles appearing to be adjusted right down. Points to a couple of possibilities - excessive neck bow, (worst case scenario shagged trussrod) or - which I think is more likely - that's as low as it goes with that bridge.

I've encountered a few Japanese & Korean neckthrough builds from the same era with this issue, particularly after big chunky bridges became fashionable. My Washburn SB40 was like that - nothing that couldn't be sorted after 20 minutes with a small round file - but in this instance I think I'd want a look before handing over money. Unless it was a proper stupid bargain. :D

Jon.
[/quote]Bang on I agree would need to check it out before buying. I think it will most likely go for 350ish

Re. The action, I own an '80 Vantage that had that sort of action with the saddles in the lowest position.
I say "had" because I ended up routing a recess for the bridge to sit in so it was then flush with the body and allowed me to get the action low enough for my liking.