Why become a member? ×

The World's FUNNIEST Bassist! :-)

Cabal

[quote name='Jake_M' post='299955' date='Oct 5 2008, 03:53 PM']Sorry Jase, i'm not trying to get up anyone's goat, but i really did split my sides. :-)

I'm sure he's a much better technical player than i'll ever be and all that, and a nice guy to boot, but it sounds like a record played at 78 rpm to me. Its that "one louder" thing. If a bloke plays fast, then the next bloke just has to play faster, until we end up with this. Sorry, but that's funny to me, and to be serious for a minute, i think its constructive to point it out.

I refuse to accept that just because its "technically brilliant" (if it is), i have to like it. Its not a personal attack, but as far as i'm concerned, if you're going to play like this in public, then you should be prepared to take some criticism.

Cheers,

Jake M[/quote]

As for having to like it, of course you don't have to. But there's a difference between not liking something and it being crap, which is something so few people seem to understand. I'm not much of a Marcus Miller or Jaco fan but I'd be a bit stupid to say they're crap; what they do just isn't really my thing. If they want to do it, great. If other people like it, even better.

Nigel may also have been amusing himself at the time; when you're playing on your own like that it's bloody boring (IMO) to run through a bunch of basslines. Isn't it important to have fun when you're playing? I also find that one of the things I do when trying gear is run through the most technically difficult things I can do to see how it copes. Regardless, nothing wrong with doing all that stuff as long as it's not all over the wrong sort of music. I find that when I'm not playing along to a song, e.g. in a situation like this, I tend to widdle a lot, but you can be damn sure if I'm playing a song I'll try and play something that works for the song. I find it a bit weird when somebody sees someone playing something like this and assumes that's all they can do/are into. Heck, I try stuff like that at home sometimes, although nowhere near as well, and yet in my band I probably sound more like early Bruce Foxton or maybe even early Roger Glover. I'm interested in many different styles; for instance I love Matt Garrison [i]and[/i] John McVie, Lemmy [i]and[/i] Jah Wobble.

Nigel is actually an excellent all round player, although last time I saw him he said he was really rusty as he hadn't been playing much. He also jokingly refused to play in front of Jonas Hellborg, so definitely isn't convinced of his own greatness or anything. He used to work at A1 in Manchester and is a really nice guy. I've seen him play many many times in the shop, and although he always had monster slap chops he could play most things.

But, as others have said, he is also getting paid to do a job, and Rotosound seem happy enough with what he's doing. That's all that really matters.

Looks like I might have missed the most appropriate point to make my comment, but here it is anyway.

I really quite enjoyed that.
He holds a groove more than most people who play like that and I AM impressed at how fast it all is. That probably is actually the fastest bass playing (although it is 95% percussive) I've ever seen. I actually met Nigel once when he way demo-ing Line 6 gear at a new Academy of Sound shop and he's a really nice guy, really happy to chat about his techniques etc when he's getting payed to talk about the equipment. I don't remember him playing quite that fast when I met him, but I do remember there being a lot more notes involved. A lot of the right hand fingers to the fretboard stuff actually produced audible notes (all be it very briefly!) when I saw him so maybe the audio just isn't coming through on that clip and not really doing his playing justice.

I know most of the negative stuff said on the subject is against the showy technique that's 99% useless in songs and not the players themselves, but I don't think there's any reason to slate those who chose to do it. I like it, and as long as people are prepared to practice hard enough to do it, and inventive enough to come up with new ways of doing it I'll applaud them. We all know it's w*nky, some of us just don't care!

Just my 2p's worth!

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='300051' date='Oct 5 2008, 05:56 PM']Well Jake did invite us to check out the video, and this is a discussion forum so what's wrong with people expressing their opinions and discussing the video?
I didn't enjoy it at all, although I didn't find it funny.
Of course he's getting paid; and I'm depping on New Year's Eve playing indie/rock music, some of which I don't like much, because I [b]need[/b] the money.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with discussing the video at all, I just failed to see what was funny about it. I agree with Gamble on it being very percussive, like Entwistle but taken further....I'm going to check him out some more I think :)

[quote name='4000' post='300108' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:20 PM']As for having to like it, of course you don't have to. But there's a difference between not liking something and it being crap, which is something so few people seem to understand. I'm not much of a Marcus Miller or Jaco fan but I'd be a bit stupid to say they're crap; what they do just isn't really my thing. If they want to do it, great. If other people like it, even better.[/quote]
Some fair points made, but never at any point did i say he was crap. Maybe someone else did. Infact, i said he's technically brilliant/better than i'll ever be. I reckon i know the difference between my own personal preferences/prejudices and actual bona fide rubbish.

For the record, if i'd known the guy was a friend of the forum i wouldn't have posted. Sorry about that. I was responding to another thread "Fastest bass guitarist in the world, does anyone really care?", concerning a guy called Jayen Varma, so i assumed such topics were fair game.

Thing is, we all knock other players from time to time, but can we take it in return? I'd never criticise anyone with limited ability for having a go, that wouldn't be fair, but i feel able to comment on this because after thirty years playing i'm pretty f***ing good myself. :-) I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Like i said, i'm sure he's a nice guy and all, and he can laugh loudly at my playing any time he likes. :-)

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

[quote name='Jake_M' post='300247' date='Oct 6 2008, 01:11 AM']Some fair points made, but never at any point did i say he was crap. Maybe someone else did. Infact, i said he's technically brilliant/better than i'll ever be. I reckon i know the difference between my own personal preferences/prejudices and actual bona fide rubbish.

For the record, if i'd known the guy was a friend of the forum i wouldn't have posted. Sorry about that. I was responding to another thread "Fastest bass guitarist in the world, does anyone really care?", concerning a guy called Jayen Varma, so i assumed such topics were fair game.

Thing is, we all knock other players from time to time, but can we take it in return? I'd never criticise anyone with limited ability for having a go, that wouldn't be fair, but i feel able to comment on this because after thirty years playing i'm pretty f***ing good myself. :-) I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Like i said, i'm sure he's a nice guy and all, and he can laugh loudly at my playing any time he likes. :-)

Cheers,

Jake M[/quote]

No, fair enough you didn't say he was crap, it's just the mockery that sometimes goes on here...(Not personal to you Jake) that gets.... me goat, shall we say :)

Urghhhhh! IMHO That really was horrendous....

clickety clickety click.... low 'E'....clackety clackety clack clack clack... low 'E'.... clickety clickety clack etc

What's the point? Not a groove, a melody or a bassline in sight... :)

Didn't make me laugh, but certainly made me sigh and shake my head... that was the sort of thing that must be the bane of any music store owners life...!

[quote name='cetera' post='300379' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:48 AM']Urghhhhh! IMHO That really was horrendous....

clickety clickety click.... low 'E'....clackety clackety clack clack clack... low 'E'.... clickety clickety clack etc

What's the point? Not a groove, a melody or a bassline in sight... :)

Didn't make me laugh, but certainly made me sigh and shake my head... that was the sort of thing that must be the bane of any music store owners life...![/quote]
exactly
i found it funny then painful to watch, bit like the office. yes technically brilliant but other than that, no.
may as well not even have plugged in to an amp, sounds like the guitar shop bass w***ery that you get from one of the store assitants who think they can play bass, i've had several do that kind of thing to demonstrate a bass to me and it is pointless to hear what the bass actually sounds like.
if he's getting paid to do that then furry muff but it just sounds like a sewing machine. :huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='300298' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:42 AM']No, fair enough you didn't say he was crap, it's just the mockery that sometimes goes on here...(Not personal to you Jake) that gets.... me goat, shall we say :)[/quote]
You're not wrong mate, cheers for that. :-)

Edited by Jake_M

I can't watch this as I'm at work, but I imagine I've seen this video already.

Couple of things; firstly, he [i]is[/i] endorsed by Rotosound to the point that he has been asked to demo their gear. Hands up who on here has been asked to demo [i]anything[/i]? I'm not saying that if you haven't been asked to do so that you don't have the right to say anything negative, but lets put it into perspective here folks. Moreover, he's been asked to demonstrate what is possible with their gear. I think that whatever fretbroad w*nkery is used is therefore a pretty good advert!

Secondly, do you think that having watched under 10 minutes of Nigel's demo playing time (I assume it's under 10 minutes), that you are qualified to judge, or even in a position to consider this as the sum total of his playing ability? I hope that you do not.

I too find it amusing to watch players slap away in guitar stores because they desire people's attention, but I don't berate them, sigh, shake my head, despair, or consider their musical ability to be 'laughable' and scorn them based on 2 minutes of repetitious slap licks in E. That is unreasonable and unfair. How much more so a player who has been asked to be the face of a demonstration, and is being paid for his time in both money, gear, endorsements and future discounts.

Mark

Disclaimer: I note that not all of you berated him as a player, but were objectively pointing out your dislike of slapfests. This post is merely to ask those who did to reconsider of their statements on the merits of the situation, his and theirs.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='300587' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:11 PM']I wonder if amateur pilots visit discussion forums and slag off the Red Arrows for all that stupid aerial acrobatics and coloured smoke nonsense when they should be giving a solid demonstration of flying from A to B?[/quote]

Bad analogy IMHO....

The Red Arrows are still giving a solid flying demonstration, just with added tricks.

All I saw on that video was clickety-clack tricks with barely an audible bass note, melody or solid line underpinning it.... :)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='mcgraham' post='300582' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:06 PM']I can't watch this as I'm at work, but I imagine I've seen this video already.

Couple of things; firstly, he [i]is[/i] endorsed by Rotosound to the point that he has been asked to demo their gear. Hands up who on here has been asked to demo [i]anything[/i]? I'm not saying that if you haven't been asked to do so that you don't have the right to say anything negative, but lets put it into perspective here folks. Moreover, he's been asked to demonstrate what is possible with their gear. I think that whatever fretbroad w*nkery is used is therefore a pretty good advert![/quote]

If a clicking noise is a true demonstration of what is pssible with their gear.... yikes!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='300582' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:06 PM']Secondly, do you think that having watched under 10 minutes of Nigel's demo playing time (I assume it's under 10 minutes), that you are qualified to judge, or even in a position to consider this as the sum total of his playing ability? I hope that you do not.[/quote]

I don't believe anyone ever said that. They were commenting on THIS video specifically....

Right, i'll admit i was playing devil's advocate in posting this vid. I sometimes forget that an "ironic" sense of humour doesn't always come across as intended, especially when written down.

Personally, i think its fair game. He was playing in a public place, the vid was posted publicly on YouTube, and this is a public discussion forum. I knew not everybody would see it the same way, believe me.

However, i didn't realise the guy was actually a friend of the forum, and i wouldn't have posted if i had, so i'm going to take the vid down forthwith.

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

[quote name='cetera' post='300629' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:51 PM']Bad analogy IMHO....

The Red Arrows are still giving a solid flying demonstration, just with added tricks.

All I saw on that video was clickety-clack tricks with barely an audible bass note, melody or solid line underpinning it.... :)[/quote]

Perhaps, but in the context of a tendency on this forum to dismiss examples of flashy playing because the poster would rather be laying down a solid groove, etc... I think it's quite apt.

Anyway, it's a music show, I thought showing off and playing as fast as humanly possible were the whole point.

Drummers have shows dedicated to the art of playing as fast and unmusically as possible. It's great fun.

[ur]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7TzWrKso4I[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0RUBzeH40"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0RUBzeH40[/url]

Edited by bassbloke

[quote name='bassbloke' post='300654' date='Oct 6 2008, 05:11 PM']Perhaps, but in the context of a tendency on this forum to dismiss examples of flashy playing because the poster would rather be laying down a solid groove, etc... I think it's quite apt.[/quote]

How very dare you sir. I have NEVER laid down a solid groove in my life! :-)

[quote name='Jake_M' post='300651' date='Oct 6 2008, 05:05 PM']Right, i'll admit i was playing devil's advocate in posting this vid. I sometimes forget that an "ironic" sense of humour doesn't always come across as intended, especially when written.

Personally, i think its fair game. He was playing in a public place, the vid was posted publicly on YouTube, and this is a public discussion forum. I knew not everybody would see it the same way, believe me.

However, i didn't realise the guy was actually a friend of the forum, and i wouldn't have posted it if i had, so i'm going to take the vid down forthwith.

Cheers,

Jake M[/quote]

i think the thing you should think of is if this is an endorsement vid then it does nothing for rotosound. better audio would save the day here if the actual audio was any better. if it was then obviously i'll hold my hands up but on the basis of that vid it just sounds poor. i dont think anyone is denying the technique involved to do that just its a bit ott. i am a big fan of primus and alot of les's stuff is very percussive but it sounds like a bass not the clicky noise there.

[quote name='Jake_M' post='300651' date='Oct 6 2008, 05:05 PM']Right, i'll admit i was playing devil's advocate in posting this vid. I sometimes forget that an "ironic" sense of humour doesn't always come across as intended, especially when written down.

However, i didn't realise the guy was actually a friend of the forum, and i wouldn't have posted it if i had, so i'm going to take the vid down forthwith.

Cheers,

Jake M[/quote]

I don't think you need to do that Jake, I think we all know now what you meant and that you didn't intend to cause any offence. Like you said yourself, it's hard to convey the mood of a statement in a couple of lines on a forum so some of the snarlier responses probably weren't meant to be as such. I think I might have sounded a bit like I was up on my high-horse when I didn't intend to, just wanted to say my piece and defend fret-w*nkery!

EVERYBODY JUST CHILL! :)

[quote name='Gamble' post='300706' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:20 PM']I don't think you need to do that Jake, I think we all know now what you meant and that you didn't intend to cause any offence. Like you said yourself, it's hard to convey the mood of a statement in a couple of lines on a forum so some of the snarlier responses probably weren't meant to be as such. I think I might have sounded a bit like I was up on my high-horse when I didn't intend to, just wanted to say my piece and defend fret-w*nkery!

EVERYBODY JUST CHILL! :)[/quote]
The vids down now anyway, but cheers for that. There's something much funnier in its place. :-)

Edited by Jake_M

[quote name='cetera' post='300629' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:51 PM']Bad analogy IMHO....

All I saw on that video was clickety-clack tricks with barely an audible bass note, melody or solid line underpinning it.... :)[/quote]

Firstly, the sound on the video (not necessarily his sound) is crap. I've seen Nigel play dozens of times, and he's never sounded like that. Could have been the gear he was using too. Never seen him using that gear before. Still, even if that's what he sounded like, that's up to him (or maybe it wasn't!). When he used to play in A1 he used to get a kind of Jaco-but-fatter tone playing fingerstyle.

Secondly, a bass is in fact, a stringed instrument that you can make noises with. You should be able to play an instrument however the hell you like. If you want to plug in six distortion pedals and continually hit the thing with a steel rule for an hour, great, go ahead. If you want to play in a more conventional manner, fine, go ahead. You won't get an argument from me, as long as you do it with some conviction.

Thirdly, Nigel used to play in Dare, Darren Wharton's (ex-Thin Lizzy) band, so I'm absolutely sure he can hold it down when he needs to.

Lastly, if someone posted 5 minutes of me playing solo, they could get pickstyle, fingerstyle, fusion, rock, punk, funk, dub/reggae, slap, and probably many other things depending on which five minutes of my playing they actually recorded and what I felt like playing at the time. And it might be good, and it might not. And I seldom play basslines when I'm playing on my own unless I'm actually practising something.

Ever heard Brian Bromberg? Is slap all he can do? Stanley Clarke? If someone had posted 5 minutes of Tony Levin playing using the Funk Fingers and you'd never seen him before would the reaction be negative?

Edited by 4000

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='300692' date='Oct 6 2008, 05:52 PM'].....if this is an endorsement vid.....[/quote]
Being the guy who started "the other thread" about this video of Nigel (and bear in mind I'd had a few beers so was maybe over exuberant)....I'd just like to clarify a couple of points.

It was recorded at The Bass Day in Manchester 2007. It was in no way, shape or form, an "endorsement vid". It was simply Nigel sitting down at someone else's stall, bass in hand, having a bit of fun. Someone chose to video it, and put it on YouTube. Not Nigel, not his employers, not his endorsers.......a punter.

I've known Nigel for many years since he worked in A1, although I don't see him often, but I can vouch for him being an excellent bassist. I saw him in Dare, which certainly wasn't a slaptastic w*nkfest.

Like some have said, you cannot judge an entire repertoire of someone purely on a couple of minutes on YouTube.

I've just this week discussed the same argument with my 14 year old niece that "4000" raised. Just because she dislikes something I like, why is it crap? Fine, if someone wants to discuss the merits and pitfalls of something, then do so, but for God's sake do it in the style of adults, not pre-pubescent teenagers.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='300977' date='Oct 7 2008, 01:19 AM']Being the guy who started "the other thread" about this video of Nigel (and bear in mind I'd had a few beers so was maybe over exuberant)....I'd just like to clarify a couple of points.

It was recorded at The Bass Day in Manchester 2007. It was in no way, shape or form, an "endorsement vid". It was simply Nigel sitting down at someone else's stall, bass in hand, having a bit of fun. Someone chose to video it, and put it on YouTube. Not Nigel, not his employers, not his endorsers.......a punter.

I've known Nigel for many years since he worked in A1, although I don't see him often, but I can vouch for him being an excellent bassist. I saw him in Dare, which certainly wasn't a slaptastic w*nkfest.

Like some have said, you cannot judge an entire repertoire of someone purely on a couple of minutes on YouTube.

I've just this week discussed the same argument with my 14 year old niece that "4000" raised. Just because she dislikes something I like, why is it crap? Fine, if someone wants to discuss the merits and pitfalls of something, then do so, but for God's sake do it in the style of adults, not pre-pubescent teenagers.[/quote]

I agree with that I'm not going to laugh at a man who obviously is far more talented than me and has spent a lot of time practicing a technique that he enjoys, there is not a single thing wrong with that.