Why become a member? ×

Backdrops...best place.

NancyJohnson

Had a quick search through the forums to try and find the best place to get a backdrop printed...search hasn't turned up much.

We want a lightweight sheet 4x2m, black with white overprinting. I've found a place on Goog called PrintLit - a light poly sheet ('flag material') is £190 (incl. VAT) for this size. It's only going to be hung behind us while we play, so it's not going to get heavy use; so if its the quality of those printed flags so popular for adorning bedroom windows at times of the World Cup etc. it'll be fine.

Any other places?
Cheers
P

I bought ours in 2012 from Band Banners (www.bandbanners.co.uk) for a 2m x 1m full colour fabric with eyelets for £174. They did a great job and it has been hard wearing and lasted us well.
Depending on where you play some venues (especially theatres) require cloth drapes / banners to be fire retardant.

I used VistaPrint.
2.5 metres by 0.8 metres, PVC, metal eyelets. Just the band name in a fancy font (bear claw font), black on white.
£40 including postage. Cheap and cheerful, but it does the job without us needing to get precious about it.

• 5 weeks later...

I made our one, thinking the printed ones were all too expensive for a bit of cloth with a bit of printing on.

So I got a 4x2 metre bit of suitable black material, and big bits of red and white felt, off fleabay.

Printed out the logo at the right size (on multiple bits of paper), traced onto the felt, cut out with scissors, stuck on the black background with glue, then the missus kindly volunteered to stitch it all on properly with her new-fangled sewing machine contraption. Added a line of that curtain-topping trim stuff at the top, too, to protect against drawing-pin rippage.

It turned out damn good, and cost a total of about £40 (and a couple of days craftwork).

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1473343668' post='3129343']
I made our one, thinking the printed ones were all too expensive for a bit of cloth with a bit of printing on.
[/quote]

This is the way we were thinking, but ultimately you're paying them for their time expertise in doing the job. It's really well made and actually came out better than expected. I think the main thing is that you need to ensure you put the work in at the front end and the submitted image is decent.