Why become a member? ×

2 channel head query?

I've been playing for a number of years, but my technical knowledge of amps is very limited, so guess I'm a noobie in this field.

Recently I've been jamming with a drummer friend of mine, and we're thinking of starting a bass and drums duo - just a fun side project. I'm really into bands like Royal Blood, The Carps and Death from above 1979, heavy overdriven/fuzz sound.

So this is what I'm thinking, and correct me if what I want to do won't work:

Bass > OD/fuzz > Boss LoopStation > Stereo chorus > A/B pedal > Amp head (2 channel) > Cabs (210 and 115)

So, what I want to basically do is send all the lowend to the 115 cab, and all the highs/treble to the 210 cab - so can I do this with a head with 2 channels? Musically, what I want to achieve is (on some songs) play a simple bass riff, constantly loop it using the LoopStation, and then play heavy (fake) guitar OD/fuzz stuff over it, to make us sound more like a full band.

A stereo chorus will, alone, require two channels. If you then wish to use an A/B switch to keep that sound going, and play 'lead', another channel still will be required. The A/B switch will have to be stereo, too. All is possible, but it may be useful to draw up a synopsis of your proposed signal chain so that the exact components can be recommended. It would be a shame to have a surprise after acquisition of unsuitable equipment, and the permutations are many.
Just sayin'.

[quote name='hooky_lowdown' timestamp='1470221991' post='3104164']
I've been playing for a number of years, but my technical knowledge of amps is very limited, so guess I'm a noobie in this field.

Recently I've been jamming with a drummer friend of mine, and we're thinking of starting a bass and drums duo - just a fun side project. I'm really into bands like Royal Blood, The Carps and Death from above 1979, heavy overdriven/fuzz sound.

So this is what I'm thinking, and correct me if what I want to do won't work:

Bass > OD/fuzz > Boss LoopStation > Stereo chorus > A/B pedal > Amp head (2 channel) > Cabs (210 and 115)

So, what I want to basically do is send all the lowend to the 115 cab, and all the highs/treble to the 210 cab - so can I do this with a head with 2 channels? Musically, what I want to achieve is (on some songs) play a simple bass riff, constantly loop it using the LoopStation, and then play heavy (fake) guitar OD/fuzz stuff over it, to make us sound more like a full band.
[/quote]

Reading this again i think you can get away without using amp channels and A/B pedals, just use something like this:

Bass > Preamp pedal with EQ or HPF > OD/Fuzz > Chorus > Loop Station > Amp head (single channel) > Cabs (without splitting signal)

1st - Record a bass line:
Preamp off, OD/Fuzz off, Chorus at teaste, Loop on, Amp EQ'd for your bass sound. Play and record loop.

2nd - Guitar(ish) riff:
Preamp on (or High Pass filter) cutting out the low frequencies and EQ to tailor your tone to taste, use OD/Fuzz generously like Lemmy would want you to, Chorus if you want - leave amp's EQ alone, after setting up in the first step.

I think that this way you can get something close to what you're looking for and won't set you back a lot, a Behringer BDI21 is very cheap and highly regarded on this forum.

Thanks Ghost_Bass. Could I use an Octave pedal instead of a Preamp pedal with EQ?

Ideally I'd like to split the signal with lows to 115, and highs to 210 cabs, as this would (in my mind) get the best sound quality of both bass and (fake) guitar. Or would it not matter if some highs go to the 115, and some lows to the 210 if I ran a Amp head (single channel) > Cabs (without splitting signal)?

If you can find a Hartke HA7000, this should do what you want. It's basically two HA3500's in one box. It has a built in, variable crossover

You don't need to split the cabs to get better sound. The rig is able to cope with both low and high register notes, just be aware of any farting noises comming out of the cabs and turn back the volum if needed.

If your EQ for the guitarrish parts doesn't need to be changed i believe that a octave pedal (1 octave up, i presume) could work. Start by working with what you've got at home, see if friends are able to lend you some gear to try other ideas and go from there. You should only spend money when you're almost convinced that it'll work. ;)

You want to go:

Bass> Tuner> ABY Box.

If the [u]guitar[/u] side is going through channel A, put crossover (a Rolls SX21 is a good, reasonably priced option) as the first pedal (really just to weed out the damaging low frequencies), then follow with whatever effects you want, routing this into channel A on the power amp/2x10 cabinet. Channel B can just be a regular bass signal into a pedal of some kind (something powerful enough to drive a power amp), into channel B/1x15.

I'd keep it simple and use a guitar amp and a bass amp. Play your bass looper in a signal chain going to the bass amp, your 'guitar with eq/pitch shift in a second chain going to a guitar amp. Split the chains with a a/b/a+b pedal you can use bass only, 'guitar' only or both live at the same time.

I'd get one of these, http://www.fishman.com/products/series/fx/fissionbasspowerchordfxpedal.php

It does this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0DGzL4nFKU

A mixed output or 2 separate outputs one for bass the other for the effect so you run 2 amps. It's brilliant!