Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Gen 2 compatible with Gen 3?

Musashimonkey

I don't think the drivers will be THAT different so it would be worth a try at least. To be honest though, for me, it would be overkill and if I wanted more than a single BB2 can provide, I'd just go for another BB2.

I have a BB2 and a Super Midget. These seem to pair well. I prefer the BB2 (but also love the SM) but use the SM in venues where space is tight.

Have you considered the impedence for your amp when using a 8 ohm cab with a 4 ohm cab? Make sure your amp can handle that.

Frank.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Good shout Frank, I've got a Mesa Subway with 8/4 and 2ohm switching, so should be grand with each driver getting similar power (excluding any sensitivity differences).

Thanks Andy, good to hear that Gen 2's and 3's mix it up and perform well on gigs. I think I'll go for it and let you know how it goes.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1470008131' post='3102690']
The drivers are totally different. Gen 3 speakers are designed by Alex and Gen 2 speakers are off the shelf items.

They might sound OK together but I'd still email Alex and ask.
[/quote]
Good call I'll pop him an email. Thank you.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1470008131' post='3102690']
The drivers are totally different. Gen 3 speakers are designed by Alex and Gen 2 speakers are off the shelf items.

They might sound OK together but I'd still email Alex and ask.
[/quote]

I agree - speak to Alex.

I think it's an exageration to say the drivers are [i]totally[/i] different. A PJB driver is [i]totally[/i] different compared to a G3 Barefaced driver. I've mixed G2 and G3 BF cabs in th past and they've been OK. ;)

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys. I spoke to Alex and he was very helpful. I'm sure he won't mind me paraphrasing EDIT: Alex's comments below much more accurate.

So... I tried a Gen 2 BBT and it was thunderous, great tone and full to the brim with awesomeness. Side by side with my BB2 gen3 the difference in how the drivers were responding. Both great cabs, but each would require different EQing to get the same sound. Paired together they were very loud indeed! Due to difference in sound, and being far too picky and lazy to adjust EQ depending on cabs I'm going to try a BT2 gen 3 to pair with my BB2...

Edited by Musashimonkey

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1470746086' post='3108082']Thanks for all the advice guys. I spoke to Alex and he was very helpful. I'm sure he won't mind me paraphrasing that gen2 and gen3 pairing is not something that springs to mind for him as the characteristics of the drivers are different.[/quote]

Actually I do mind a bit because that's not what I said! ;) The issue is with pairing the Gen 2 Big Baby or Big Twin with the Gen 3 cabs. Mostly because they're both much lower sensitivity than the Gen 3 models and have a different tone/feel in the lows, plus the mid driver is quite different to the 12" + HF driver combo. The Gen 2 Compact, Midget, Super Twelve and Super Fifteen get on much better with the Gen 3 models due to their higher sensitivity and more similar characteristics apart from the lower excursion limited power handling. I'd go so far as to say the Super Compact matches better with the old Compact than the old Midget did, and apart from the stacking issue the old Midget better with the Super Compact than the Compact.

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1470746086' post='3108082']So... I tried a Gen 2 BBT and it was thunderous, great tone and full to the brim with awesomeness. Side by side with my BB2 gen3 the difference in how the drivers were responding. Both great cabs, but each would require different EQing to get the same sound. Paired together they were very loud indeed! Due to difference in sound, and being far too picky and lazy to adjust EQ depending on cabs I'm going to try a BT2 gen 3 to pair with my BB2...
[/quote]

Excellent.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1470768535' post='3108327']
May we infer from the above that the G2 Midget and G3 Super Midget play nicely together? I've only ever paired them with the CTM 15W, so they were never worked to any great excursion.
[/quote]

I had that combination (G2+G3 Midgets) before selling the G2 Midgets (I had a pair of G2 for a while.) It seemed fine to me at decent gig volume but still, I bow to Alex's vastly superior knowledge.

Frank.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1470768535' post='3108327']
May we infer from the above that the G2 Midget and G3 Super Midget play nicely together? I've only ever paired them with the CTM 15W, so they were never worked to any great excursion.
[/quote]

They do but they don't stack terribly well - you want the G2 on top because it runs out of power handling much earlier but it's quite a bit deeper front to back.

I have a Super Compact on order having sold my G2 Compact. I had thought that I'd also sell my G2 Midget for a second Super Compact, but I think I'll wait a little to see how the two play together.
I'm keen to have a couple of SCs to match, but I do like having the G2 Midget for little jaunts in and out of London on the train, great cab for that!
And no I can't have 3 cabs ;)

Si