Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

17 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Popped a quick video showing how I’m using the EAE Halberd, Dagger and 0xEAE Fuzz. It’s super rough and apologies for the shaky camera!

I’d love to do a deep dive and proper demos of each as they’re capable of way more than I’m showing here but time is hard to find at the mo!

Sounds FAB!!

S'manth x

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Full House! 

20231119_163158.thumb.jpg.9ca890854af2cd6a803e155812150aa1.jpg

That's basics covered. Next stop will be some more exotic top shelf material. 

Full houses are always good, but I’d get annoyed with the silver top on the Bass Driver ha ha. It needs to be matchy matchy or not at all he he 😝🤪

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

Full houses are always good, but I’d get annoyed with the silver top on the Bass Driver ha ha. It needs to be matchy matchy or not at all he he 😝🤪

Yeah that Bass Driver bling is a bit annoying, partly as I find the dials a bit trickier to see and there's reflections/glare, but mostly because it doesn't match! 

In fact, I'm not overly impressed with the Bass Driver. It's fine, but the much maligned ODB-3 costs about half as much and has similar controls (low, high, blend, gain, level), the ODB-3 is higher gain though so worth having both. BB-1X is always on, ODB-3 for more rawkus stuff. 

• Like 2

I posted my updated practice board a while back but I thought I'd provide an updated picture showing the two outboard pedals, the Mission EQD-1 that controls the Life pedal and the JC Wah. The two outboard pedals just plug into the patchbay (including, in the case of the JC Wah, for power). It's an aggressive board with a lot of dirt and gain but that's perfect for what I typically enjoy playing. It's portable too (if you have several strong friends willing to do you a favour).

PedalBoardwithOffboardPedals.thumb.jpg.8e56a01369e991a9be7f8e9ac6123b4a.jpg

• Like 11

This is mine at the mo. Really happy with it but still want to replace the Pork & Pickle with a Doom2 if I can ever manage to buy one! Signal chain for the nerds like me out there is:

Wireless receiver > Tuner > Stomp with Cali76 on FX loop 1 & Pork & Pickle > VMT (for stacking dirt) on FX loop 2 > Noble

Powered by a Cioks DC7

Also should note that the VMT is one of the Spencer Doren built ones.

IMG_3765.jpg

Edited by Steve_M
Added info
  • Like 11

17 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

I posted my updated practice board a while back but I thought I'd provide an updated picture showing the two outboard pedals, the Mission EQD-1 that controls the Life pedal and the JC Wah. The two outboard pedals just plug into the patchbay (including, in the case of the JC Wah, for power). It's an aggressive board with a lot of dirt and gain but that's perfect for what I typically enjoy playing. It's portable too (if you have several strong friends willing to do you a favour).

It’s so pretty, always wanted to try a SLO preamp but they rarely ever seem to pop up. The SLO and Rusty Box are the two id love to get my hands on at some point. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

It’s so pretty, always wanted to try a SLO preamp but they rarely ever seem to pop up. The SLO and Rusty Box are the two id love to get my hands on at some point. 

Thanks! It weights a ton though!

I bought the SLO direct from Shift-line; I gather they are still shipping to the UK but I think you need to contact them directly. It’s one of my favourite preamps, particularly for the great cabsims they do) but it was worth getting a Cioks Crux to power it given its power-hungry 12v requirements. I’d been meaning to build a board around it for a while.

The Rusty Box looks great too. I think they are being sold directly on Reverb again if I recall correctly and I think there is one in the classifieds. Although I know that just because they’re on sale doesn’t make playing them magically possible!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admiralchew said:

That’s pretty immense 🤩 What music do you play with all that lot?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Paddy777 said:

That’s pretty immense 🤩 What music do you play with all that lot?

Owing to my working hours I can't commit to being in a band (which is a shame given my brother's a good drummer) so this board is just used for whatever I want to play while practicing or jamming. I play a lot of heavy rock, metal, grunge and, more recently, doom. I try to play a bit of everything though because I just enjoy playing (or trying to play) bass. I've been on a bit of a Tool journey recently so I have a bit of a flanger obsession.

The SLO can get very gritty so it covers most of the rock tones on its own, but the MBD-2, Parabellum, Calamity, Heliotropic and Life pedals are each their own flavour of dirty or destructive. I really like gain into flanger into delay so they each get playing time with the flanger setting on the Utility Knife and the Echosystem (again, Tool-tastic).

My main aim was to replace my old practice board which had on it most types of pedals I could think of so I could try to adapt it to most things, even if not perfectly. This board more or less does that and the Element means I can play to my music using bluetooth too. Plus, I really like messing about with pedals and building pedal boards so putting together something quite big was a lot of fun.

• Like 2

I always like the look of the SLO, I don’t need any gritty tones really but still like a bit of tube hair sometimes and I’ve always been impressed with what I’ve heard from it in sound demos etc, but then I kinda felt like I was missing the point with it a bit using it as an entirely clean preamp, I don’t mind dropping £500-600 on a great preamp/DI but not if I’m gonna be in a square peg/round hole situation with it. Once I’m a bit more flush I’ll probably still get one just to scratch the itch , that or a WR Goliath!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paddy777 said:

I always like the look of the SLO, I don’t need any gritty tones really but still like a bit of tube hair sometimes and I’ve always been impressed with what I’ve heard from it in sound demos etc, but then I kinda felt like I was missing the point with it a bit using it as an entirely clean preamp, I don’t mind dropping £500-600 on a great preamp/DI but not if I’m gonna be in a square peg/round hole situation with it. Once I’m a bit more flush I’ll probably still get one just to scratch the itch , that or a WR Goliath!

I think it’s capable of a lot. One of the reasons I like it is it has proper tube tone because of the 12AX7, but the other features that made it worthwhile to me were the excellent switchable cabsims, headphone out and effects loop. Of the other preamps I’ve tried, I found it most similar to the Jad Freer Capo, in case that’s a helpful analogy. I find both fully featured, with a good natural tone that sounds even better with a bit of hair. Something like a Noble is cleaner but the SLO still sounds pretty good without the gain up.

12 hours ago, Steve_M said:

This is mine at the mo. Really happy with it but still want to replace the Pork & Pickle with a Doom2 if I can ever manage to buy one! Signal chain for the nerds like me out there is:

Wireless receiver > Tuner > Stomp with Cali76 on FX loop 1 & Pork & Pickle > VMT (for stacking dirt) on FX loop 2 > Noble