Why become a member? ×

A couple more projects on the way

Andyjr1515

With a Les Paul six string refinish out of the way, I'm getting my head round two more projects.

The first, more about later, is a lovely custom built semi-acoustic that needs some mods, including bridge, electrics including a powered EQ and a removable back plate.

The second, a longer-term project is a long-scale version in the style of one of Jack Bruce's EB3 SGs for our old-gits-band's bassist. This one doesn't need to be finished until November, but I've started to get my head around it, particularly in that his wife is funding it for a significant birthday and wants to know how much financial pain he is sending her way this time!

The body will be pretty much per the SG six string I built for him a while back, but all mahogany. And guess what I have got in my shed from a speculative purchase a couple of years ago? :

Plenty of time to think through the final spec while I tackle the semi-acoustic but initial thoughts are:
Through neck
Chambered body
Wenge veneer demarcation between top and bottom
Lightweight tuners to counteract the long neck / light body
Varitone
Gibson 3 Point Bridge
DiMarzio neck and minihumbucker bridge p/ups
Can't wait! These two projects will be the first in my new rudimentary but better than the patio in the rain indoor work area! :D

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1468776727' post='3093246']
Looking forward to this, love the design of the EB basses.

Are you absolutely sure about utilising the three point bridge though? Worst bit of guitar hardware of all time IMO.
[/quote]
Yes, I know...but it does add the proper period look. Slightly, OK marginally, more functional than the non intonated earlier bar types, though ;)

Currently owning an SG bass and thinking a long scale version would be rather nice I have given some thought to the neck dive issue. My thoughts were move the bridge as far back as possible and possibly lengthen the body slightly. A few inches gained this way would certainly help with the balance in addition to lightweight tuners etc. Even with the timber cut as shown in the pictures there is some length gain still available. Look forward to seeing the build :)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1468784034' post='3093314']
Currently owning an SG bass and thinking a long scale version would be rather nice I have given some thought to the neck dive issue. My thoughts were move the bridge as far back as possible and possibly lengthen the body slightly. A few inches gained this way would certainly help with the balance in addition to lightweight tuners etc. Even with the timber cut as shown in the pictures there is some length gain still available. Look forward to seeing the build :)
[/quote]
Yes, I agree - a fully rearward bridge is a must. The best example of that is the Cort Curbow - looks and feels like a short scale and is, in fact, the full 34" :)

Interestingly, this is one of the issues faced with the semi-acoustic (ie the other new project just started). The bridge placement and resulting neck placement actually makes it pretty impossible to reach the first fret...

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1468780459' post='3093284']
That is a pretty piece of mahogany - not seen such a stripy piece before! Silly question, will it be quite as noticeable when all the carving and varnishing is finished?
[/quote]
Happily, Pete - the mate I'm building this for - isn't a purist. He does want me to go for a cherry red, but beyond that he is happy for me to add as much or as little AJR craziness as I like. One of the reasons I'm going for the infamous three point bridge is that it's one of the few focal points that give a nod to JB's original (or ONE of his originals at least :D ) and therefore leaves me a bit more freedom to go wayward in other areas...

Many of you will have seen this before, also built for Pete, but this was my interpretation of what a six string electric SG should have been like if only the designers had been as mentally flawed as I am...

Not everyone's cup of tea, but Pete likes it :lol:

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1468780459' post='3093284']
That is a pretty piece of mahogany - not seen such a stripy piece before! Silly question, will it be quite as noticeable when all the carving and varnishing is finished?
[/quote]
I slightly misread the question, Mykesbass :rolleyes: .

No - I think most, though not all, of the grain pattern will be indistinct once it's cherry red. Mind you, you never know - it's one of the things that makes this crazy hobby exciting :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1468786114' post='3093332']
Yes, I agree - a fully rearward bridge is a must. The best example of that is the Cort Curbow - looks and feels like a short scale and is, in fact, the full 34" :)

Interestingly, this is one of the issues faced with the semi-acoustic (ie the other new project just started). The bridge placement and resulting neck placement actually makes it pretty impossible to reach the first fret...
[/quote]

I have a 335 / EB2 long scale that verges on that same problem. Then again I am only 5'3" and have short arms :D It does balance fairly well though. The mahogany looks stunning btw.

It's when parts of the body are hollowed out, or chambered, usually to make the guitar lighter or balance better. I think that's correct.
I only know because the bass Andy made for me has a chambered body, and it has made a big difference to the weight!!

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1469086409' post='3095561']
It's when parts of the body are hollowed out, or chambered, usually to make the guitar lighter or balance better. I think that's correct.
I only know because the bass Andy made for me has a chambered body, and it has made a big difference to the weight!!
[/quote]

Ahhh, I see. Makes sense. Many thanks.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1469086409' post='3095561'] It's when parts of the body are hollowed out, or chambered, usually to make the guitar lighter or balance better. I think that's correct. I only know because the bass Andy made for me has a chambered body, and it has made a big difference to the weight!! [/quote]

Yes - spot on, Kert.

Sometimes they are called 'weight-relieved', W1_Pro.

There are various ways of doing it - sometimes they are a series of slots, sometimes (like for Kert's bass) and actual chamber routed out. Pretty essential once you start using some of the heavier woods or larger bodies!

This was the main chamber in Kert's single cut - trying to minimise any tendency of neck heavy with the extended upper bout:

With a less aggressive carve of the edges, this could have been even larger.

Often, the control chamber rout takes enough weight out by itself, but then you sometimes end up with the body lighter at the back and bottom than at the front and the top:

It really does depend on the wood and the design shape...both can vary enormously!

[quote name='W1_Pro' timestamp='1469252684' post='3096934']
So, my question would be- and please feel free to tell me if I'm getting ahead of myself here-Does the process of chambering have any implications (planned or otherwise) for the resonance of the guitar?
[/quote]
Now there's a hornets nest! ;)

In my view, not at all unless it's to the degree where it is essentially a semi acoustic...