Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD - Return of the Hofner (long scale)

Cat Burrito

I had no idea Hofner had launched a long scale version of this bass but stumbled across it this week and decided to end what has been over 3 years of GAS free bass playing.

I originally bought a Hofner Verythin bass back around 2011 and bonded with it massively on the live circuit. However, recording our 2nd album at the time became a problem as the producer of the record had dog like hearing and was struggling with the short scale intonation (not entirely unusual for a hollowbodied bass. In the end what was supposed to be all over one album, only made it onto one track. My love affair with Hofner ended and I sold the bass on.

As time rolled on I think I probably should have stood up to the producer and certainly not sold the bass on (it really wasn't that bad and only one other band member claimed that could hear something). So seeing the long scale necked version I figured the intonation would be better and if not, I wasn't going to care. Googling around neither Basschat nor the other forums seem to be celebrating this fine bass. Dood's video was good but to be fair my mind was made up.

The cherry burst is sweet. It feels very well balanced. Quite light, although a little heavier than the original bass I had. Tonally it just totally pitches it where I want to be. I'm not sure whether to keep the rounds on it or default to my preference of flats but I won't rush into anything. And Thomann have confirmed the case fits the longscale model so I have taken the plunge with a fitted case too.

If it's the same as the violin basses, then I'm guessing the original Verithins were completely hollow bodied, while the "Contemporary" series have a block of wood down the middle for a more modern sound. I love semi-acoustic basses, and now have GAS for one of these or a black Midtown Standard!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1468563323' post='3091725']Very nice, but does it have the classic Hofner thump?[/quote]

I believe it sounds typically hollowbody-esque, yes. I don't know if a purist would say classic Hofner but it's close enough for my ear.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1468577562' post='3091871']If it's the same as the violin basses, then I'm guessing the original Verithins were completely hollow bodied, while the "Contemporary" series have a block of wood down the middle for a more modern sound.[/quote]

It does indeed have the centre block. Gretsch do a similar thing too.It increases the weight a little bit (obviously) but reduces feedback so on balance it's no problem for me.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1483241537' post='3205631']How's it doing 5 months in? Like you I only recently saw these. Used to have a Gibson EB2 but didn't like the short scale s traded it. Not seen a semi with long scale other than the Gretsch but really don't like orange much![/quote]

It has been sidelined by a Thunderbird when I play live but is still very much a firm favourite at home. If I went down to 2 basses, this would be number 2.