Why become a member? ×

Difference in P and J sound: is it just the pickups?

ingmar808

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1468498533' post='3091328']
DiMarzio Model 'J' is pretty much a 'straight' P pickup (i.e. two coils side by side in series).

You could try that in the neck position - I'm sure someone on here would have one to sell you at a reasonable price.

G.
[/quote]

This...
Plus some EQ tweaks you can get a fatter sound.
I will say as a avid dimarzio fan that the model J sounds brilliant but does sound different to a Model P

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1468743233' post='3092948']
i suspect the neck profile may have something to do with this weird black art of why Ps and Js sound uniquely different

runs for cover :ph34r:
[/quote]
Have to agree there.
Folk talk about body wood, but there's a lot more chance of the wood in a neck flexing and vibrating than the body. After all, we don't put a truss rod in a body to stop that bending too much, do we?

Back to pups; I don't think the P-pup in a P-bass is in quite the always in the same position as it is in a PJ, is it?

...the neck profile may have something to do with this weird black art of why Ps and Js sound uniquely different...
[/quote]

Don't know about that, but I do prefer a one-piece maple neck on a P, it seems to help produce 'that' P tone. I have no evidence to support this view, of course. :)

i suspect the neck profile may have something to do with this weird black art of why Ps and Js sound uniquely different
[/quote]

Fraid not. P basses were offered (maybe still are?) with an A neck, basically a jazz neck, and they still sounded like a P bass. The unique P bass sound is generated by the design and placement of the pickups and the limited amount of tone control.