Why become a member? ×

Reading Bass Clef

kemra

I've been thinking a lot recently about expanding my knowledge, and it seems that being able to read bass clef (and treble clef to an extent) is important so I thought I would start there!

Now I have a fundamental knowledge of where all the notes are on the staves themselves but I realised I'm not too sure how to transfer this to bass.

What I mean is if I'm reading an E on my sheet music, how do I know which E this is on my bass? I have looked on the net for the answers (including doing a search here) and can't really find what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend any good websites or books that would help me out with this?

The notes on the bass clef are actually an octave higher than the notes on the bass itself (i.e. the note you play is an octave lower than the note written on the stave as it would be heard on a piano). The first ledger line above the stave is an octave below middle C (5th fret on your G string). The open E string is one ledger line below the stave.

It had to be complicated., didn't it? :)

This might help, Scroll down for Bass clef..
[url="http://www.jazclass.aust.com/basicth/bt1.htm"]http://www.jazclass.aust.com/basicth/bt1.htm[/url]

Or this [not free] Had a good review somewhere.
Might be worth checking out.
[url="http://www.prolevelguitar.com/"]http://www.prolevelguitar.com/[/url]

Garry

Without over complicating things with the fact that the bass is a transposing instrument, your open G is the top space of the bass clef, your open D is the middle line, your open A is the bottom space & your open E is below the stave with a line through the note.

Try a double bass method like Double Bass Solo 1 (Oxford) or Yorke Studies Volume One for Double Bass.

Rich.

[quote name='kemra' post='297430' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:58 AM']I've been thinking a lot recently about expanding my knowledge, and it seems that being able to read bass clef (and treble clef to an extent) is important so I thought I would start there!

Now I have a fundamental knowledge of where all the notes are on the staves themselves but I realised I'm not too sure how to transfer this to bass.

What I mean is if I'm reading an E on my sheet music, how do I know which E this is on my bass? I have looked on the net for the answers (including doing a search here) and can't really find what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend any good websites or books that would help me out with this?[/quote]

I think I can kind of see what you are saying and all the guys here are correct! Obviously, many notes on the fretboard occur in different locations on each string; for example, lets use the E note one octave above the open E string. There is of course, no clue in the notation as to which note to actually play on the fretboard; using this E as an example; fret 2 on the D string, fret 7 on the A string or fret 12 on the E string itself are the same note and would all be correct for the note sat in the space above the middle line (D) on the stave. What I tend to do is to use my fretboard knowledge (and scales of course!) to decide upon the best `position' to play a certain piece, trying to avoid large jumps up or down the neck...hope this makes sense!

I think the bottom line (pun intended!) in terms of practice exercises is to sit down and write out a number of pieces where you play a note from the stave in all its different locations on each of the strings - will help you memorise where they are and help your reading practice.

Nick

Thanks for all the replies so far guys they have been great.

The link stevie provided seems pretty good, just need some spare time to give it a look over.

And yes Doctor you hit it on the head, thats exactly hat i mena! It looks like I have a lot of work to do...

...well no time like the present to start!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='299323' date='Oct 4 2008, 01:13 PM']FWIW, one of my bass tutors long ago told me he read the dots judging their distance from one another on the stave rather than recognising which line they were on/off.[/quote]
As a standalone piece of advice it's a good one, I would go further and place that good tip amongst an armoury of devices and techniques. Whatever gets it done so to speak.
If it sounds right, it is right. There is no cheating.
Another major tip in this is to realise that physics dictate that you can't be looking at the note you're supposed to be playing.... it's too late already. So you need to be reading ahead of what you're playing, glancing back and forth across the stave all the time.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='299338' date='Oct 4 2008, 01:30 PM']So you need to be reading ahead of what you're playing, glancing back and forth across the stave all the time.[/quote]

This is very [b]important[/b]....For When you get in the real world. [ If thats your aim ]

This is going OT a bit.
But there is more than just reading the notes.
You always need to be looking ahead.
For Keychanges, Sometimes tempo [which might also mean looking at the conductor - MD] Time changes 4/4 -3/4 etc.
Tricky phrases just around the corner.
Signs and codas, repeat signs. Playing straight 8's as a swing feel. [ Lazy arranging ]
And as always, a good pair of elephant ears.
Reading in your bedroom is one thing - [in the heat of battle something else]
You wanna sound like you are in the same band as the others. eg..all phrasing together.
Oh and you will need a extra pair of boxers first time out on a reading gig - session or whatever... :)
Appart from that...its easy. :huh:

Garry

[quote name='kemra' post='299054' date='Oct 4 2008, 12:55 AM']Thanks for all the replies so far guys they have been great.

The link stevie provided seems pretty good, just need some spare time to give it a look over.

And yes Doctor you hit it on the head, thats exactly hat i mena! It looks like I have a lot of work to do...

...well no time like the present to start![/quote]

No probs! Take your time, start off simply. I'd recommend you start off looking at rhythms first (just using a single pitched note!) and then build your exercises up. Scales are a good one - start off with C major and then run through the cycle of fifths (this is very important) - there's loads of resources online which fully explain the use of the cycle/accidentals etc - this is why scale practice is so vital in terms of developing a good understanding of notation. I'm not a natural reader (too many years lugging it!) and I have to work at it so I know where you are at but as a pro bassist for the last 7 years, I was literally dropped in at the deep end (theatre shows) so I'm getting there - still very rough sight reader but its coming! Do it everyday as well, if poss. The guys here have also mentioned about `geographics' and `reading ahead' - very important too! You will also start to recognise certain phrasing - I suppose its a bit like when you are a kid and have to learn to spell by building words up etc. - eventually you recognise a word and its there....music is very similar!

All the breast!

Nick

Edited by doctor_of_the_bass

s'all true.

You need to read the charts geography before you start playing (with practice it takes seconds). Find the repeats, codas, sines etc so you don't get caught out (we've all done it). Also, after you have practiced a while, you will find that you don't so much read notes as bars (like you read words not letters)

Keep at it - that's the only way.