Why become a member? ×

Southpaw Spotted

sblueplanet

On 12/02/2023 at 12:23, uk_lefty said:

Westone Thunder ii 1981 LEFT LEFTIE 4 String Bass Translucent Savanna yellow https://reverb.com/item/65815777-westone-thunder-ii-1981-left-leftie-4-string-bass-translucent-savanna-yellow?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=65815777

A bit pricey IMO but would be great to have a go on one of these!

I have a pair of lefty peavey 5ers. Very underrated gear. 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Looks nice (and way more than I'd ever spend on a bass even if I had the money), but seems a bit odd to photograph such a rare/expensive bass standing on some mud/stones and leaning against a bush outdoors 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, rasher80 said:

Someone buy it before I do, please? I don't need it, I've got over years of GAS for one of these... But I've never seen one in such good condition priced so sensibly! No affiliation to the seller, just got five basses already and really don't want or need more!

• Haha 2

On 05/03/2023 at 07:17, uk_lefty said:

Someone buy it before I do, please? I don't need it, I've got over years of GAS for one of these... But I've never seen one in such good condition priced so sensibly! No affiliation to the seller, just got five basses already and really don't want or need more!

we don't really know the price, reserve not met, I really don't understand why people do this, why not just start it at the reserve price point?

10 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

we don't really know the price, reserve not met, I really don't understand why people do this, why not just start it at the reserve price point?

Probably eBay fees higher if there's a higher start price? If I put a reserve on things I say in the ad "reserve is £250" or whatever just so people don't waste their time and mine.

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Probably eBay fees higher if there's a higher start price? If I put a reserve on things I say in the ad "reserve is £250" or whatever just so people don't waste their time and mine.

not as far as I know, in fact their could be a charge for having a reserve price, could well be wrong on that one though, ebay never charge me for placing a sale on there, they make the money on selling fees, no sale no fee

13 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

From what I remember reading a while back (no idea if true or not of course...) the main purpose was to try and get people involved in bidding in the hope of getting a bargain ("it's worth £1000, but the bidding starts at £10, maybe the reserve is £100, so I'll bid anyway in case I get a bargain"), then hope that once people have placed a bid, they'll get invested/competitive and bid more than originally wanted to.

It also means that the item will appear more often if people sort listings by price, or filter on price etc. (even though the true price is really higher).

The other angle I've heard is that a reserve puts off experienced buyers, which means the seller is more likely to have to re-list, which means more fees for ebay.

55 minutes ago, Oomo said:

From what I remember reading a while back (no idea if true or not of course...) the main purpose was to try and get people involved in bidding in the hope of getting a bargain ("it's worth £1000, but the bidding starts at £10, maybe the reserve is £100, so I'll bid anyway in case I get a bargain"), then hope that once people have placed a bid, they'll get invested/competitive and bid more than originally wanted to.

It also means that the item will appear more often if people sort listings by price, or filter on price etc. (even though the true price is really higher).

The other angle I've heard is that a reserve puts off experienced buyers, which means the seller is more likely to have to re-list, which means more fees for ebay.

yes I've heard that argument as well, but the fact there's so few reserve prices these days seems to suggest it doesn't work, certainly puts me off.

Ebay don't charge for listing or relisting, unless you have extras.

I've just checked there is an extra fee for a reserve price, so makes even less sense to me

• Like 2

On 05/03/2023 at 07:17, uk_lefty said:

I'll help you out here.....

It's missing the scratch plate and although the seller mentions it there are no pictures.

The tuners are pretty tarnished.

The fretboard looks manky.

However, if I didn't already have one, I'd be all over it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Lefty MM Sterling on eBay, collect from Kings Lynn... No affiliation, just don't want to buy it myself!!! Somehow getting itchy for a new bass...

Yes I saw this. It looks lush! Roasted maple neck and a Sterling is nicer than a Stingray in my book. If I didn't already have too many basses I'd be driving down now.

• Like 1