Why become a member? ×

Jazz or P

AlpherMako4

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1466640354' post='3077563']
Could you recommend any records that has that P style tone but you know to have actually been a Jazz style bass?
[/quote]

Not really, sorry. Jonas Reingold*, for example, uses a J that sounds less typical because he slightly favours the neck pickup, as does Geddy Lee. But I am basing my thoughts on my own experiences.

For example, although my band play predominantly our own material, we have a few covers. Two of them are the Stranglers' Hanging Around and Here comes your man by Pixies. I used to swap basses (from my J to my P) for these two tracks, but after a while i found that I could get [i][b]nearly[/b][/i] the same effect by using only the neck pickup on the J. The key word , of course, is [i][b]nearly[/b][/i] - and it really depends on you personally whether you are prepared to accept that. IMO of course! :)

*An example of JR's playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhyJVEtiN4

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1466640410' post='3077564']

Are there people who would claim to be able to hear 2 recordings of one of each fretboard type and be able to tell which is which?
[/quote]

Many years ago I read an interview with a guitarist called Eric Johnson who talked about the tonal differences between different guitar lead jack plug materials and how he used a different type of lead depending on whether he was recording rhythm or lead.

There may be people who's ears are sensitive enough to tell the difference between maple and rosewood, but for most of us I suspect the preference comes from tactile feel and aesthetics.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1466631595' post='3077499']
Sound-wise very little, and IMO any difference in sound between the two is far more to do with the differences in construction and finish of the two types of neck than the material of the fingerboard itself.
[/quote]

^^^ This. The difference is far more to do with lacquer vs. no lacquer.

Has anyone said P with a J neck yet? (I might have already said it) :D

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1466667053' post='3077632']
Many years ago I read an interview with a guitarist called Eric Johnson who talked about the tonal differences between different guitar lead jack plug materials and how he used a different type of lead depending on whether he was recording rhythm or lead.

There may be people who's ears are sensitive enough to tell the difference between maple and rosewood, but for most of us I suspect the preference comes from tactile feel and aesthetics.
[/quote]

I just swapped from a Fender cable to a Planet Waves and I can hear the difference. My ears aren't really very sensitive but IME cables can make as much difference as strings.

I've also had loads of basses over the years, for me it has come down to what I feel comfortable playing in the context of the setting/band. The Precision I could use for just about everything, maybe not a Jaco tone but then again, I don't need a Jaco tone.

I had a Rickenbacker that was great in a noisy 3 piece band - that tone filled out so much space. The Jazz is great, I just faff around with the controls too much, no arguing with its versatility though. I love the sound of a Stingray but there must be something about the way I play that doesn't bring out the best in them.

The Precision is best for me.

As for the argument that a good producer should be able to get a good sound out of any bass? A good producer will be looking at getting the bass tone that works in the context of the song as a whole. There can't be that many producers or songwriters that are looking for anything other than for the bass sound to 'do its job' for the majority of the time. I stress, for the majority of the time.

This Sean Hurley video is interesting regarding his session work and what producers and artists go for, from around the 3 minute mark in particular.

https://youtu.be/JmA_C5lFOaI

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1466665754' post='3077619']
Not really, sorry. Jonas Reingold*, for example, uses a J that sounds less typical because he slightly favours the neck pickup, as does Geddy Lee. But I am basing my thoughts on my own experiences.

For example, although my band play predominantly our own material, we have a few covers. Two of them are the Stranglers' Hanging Around and Here comes your man by Pixies. I used to swap basses (from my J to my P) for these two tracks, but after a while i found that I could get [i][b]nearly[/b][/i] the same effect by using only the neck pickup on the J. The key word , of course, is [i][b]nearly[/b][/i] - and it really depends on you personally whether you are prepared to accept that. IMO of course! :)

*An example of JR's playing...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhyJVEtiN4[/media]
[/quote]

That's beautiful, thank you for posting! :)

(although it sounds very Jazz to me)

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1466622153' post='3077376']
Maple looks nicer. (Unless you prefer rosewood).
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1466623515' post='3077390']
Maple looks worse ( because I prefer rosewood).
[/quote]

Rosewood feels nicer because it's not all varnished and shiny (and because I prefer rosewood)...

Edited by TrevorR

• 2 weeks later...