Why become a member? ×

Synth Pedals

Funky Dunky

Without breaking the bank, can anyone recommend some good synth pedals for bass that can be picked up for under £100 second hand?

I want to explore this sonic territory on bass, I see a lot of potential, but it's getting the 'right' synth effect which is the biggest problem. I've checked out some of the pricier pedals like Markbass and Zvex and thought they sounded kinda silly. As a frame of reference, I'm thinking that 'Deeper Underground' type of sound (although I thing that may have been an actual synth which the bass doubled - although I'm probably wrong).

I have kept my Digitech Bass Synth Wah for years, very good for what you're after. Takes a bit of a fiddle to get the sound but for the prices they go for second hand are much better than the Boss I tried to live with...

The best I've owned was a Korg G5 for quality and range of sounds. I hanker for another but found it a bit of a faff to use. They tend to go for £150-£250 depending on condition.

I fancy the new Digitech Dirty Robot - seems a nice update. Think they're just over £100.

Thanks for replying. By coincidence, I just finished reading a thread a few pages back about the Dirty Robot. Seems alright actually, worth a look, but I was put off by the estimates of the RRP. I will see how much these go for online and then maybe arrange a wee trip to test one out. I will look into the Korg as well.

I quite like the idea of combining pedals to get a good thick sound, although it seems like it would be a veritable mushfest which required much twiddlage to get right.

I spent ages on YouTube last night, watching demos of synth pedals, and have come to the conclusion that none of them really do what I'm looking for. They all sound more filtery, vowelly than what I'm after, which is more of a thickening fuzzy effect (but not fuzz). The Adam Neely video I posted in a separate thread was the closest I've seen/heard, but he has a Line Splitter, Octaver, Digitech Bass Synth Wah and a Zvex Mastotron hooked up to get all of that happening. Pricey pricey.

BUT.....

I then found a Scott Devine video where he talks about his two favourite pedals, a Boss SD-1 and a Boss OC-2. He gives a quick demo, and lo and behold, that's the sound I want. Whodathunkit?

To Ebay, then, and I find a Boss SD-1 can be had from between £20-£40. The OC-2 is somewhat more expensive, around £80, but maybe I could substitute this with a cheaper equivalent, and Robert is your mother's brother!

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1465643845' post='3069873']
The OC-2 is somewhat more expensive, around £80, but maybe I could substitute this with a cheaper equivalent, and Robert is your mother's brother!
[/quote]

The Chord oc-50 is the job for you. Under £25 delivered on Amazon at the minute. One of my favourite octavers I've tried. Preferred it to the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe I had just before it and it tracked to a low G pretty repeatable.

Also it has a switchable drive option that dirtiest the octave sound which might mean you don't need the distortion pedal. If it were me I'd be tempted to go with the Chord and a used EHX Micro Qtron (or a mini qtron for preference if you can find one and don't mind the very un-mini size) for the most synthy fun...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1465709508' post='3070302']
I had a Chord OC50 octave pedal. I really liked it, but sold it in the end when I got a Boss OC2.

The Chord tracked as well as the Boss and was slightly more aggressive in tone.
[/quote]

Interesting. I can see one of these coming my way soon :)

The bsw is a fun pedal but I had to use it along side a boss ls2 to get it working live... and I wouldn't say it's the most ground-breaking sound but it can get close to that deeper underground thing. Run it through some other effects and the world's your oyster!

It's a stonker of an Octaver too which is what I've primarily used it for !