Why become a member? ×

Carpal tunnel nightmare...

MoJoKe

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am in a bit of a mess and not able to do anything except feel terrible at the moment, as I had Carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand on Tuesday, and things haven't played out well so far... [/font][/color] :unsure:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I had my right hand done in January and it couldn't have gone better. I had immediate relief from the symptoms as soon as the anaesthetic wore off and I was back to playing within 3 weeks.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This time, living nightmare, the symptoms have been far, far worse [i]post[/i]-op than they were before. I knew it didn't feel right as the anaesthetic wore off, I had severe burning pain and no feeling [i][b]at all[/b][/i] in thumb, index, 2nd and half of 3rd finger. I went straight to A&E in Exeter, and after doing ultrasound scans they decided the best thing to do would be to remove two of the tighter stitches, and squeeze my hand to see if there was fluid build up that could be drained (F*****KING owch), re-dress me and send me home.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yesterday the pain had eased, but still no feeling. Three days on things are marginally better but I still have very little feeling in my Index and 2nd fingers... hoping for an improvement over the weekend, and I have a followup appointment on Tuesday, so cannot do anything until then.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you'd asked me on M[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]onday if this was worth having done, I would have said, don't be a wuss, man up and get it done, the anaesthetic injections are painful, but otherwise its a breeze. In the light of this week's experience, on Wednesday morning I was in a very dark place wondering if I would ever play again. I am now just worrying I won't be able to recover in time for a very busy July/August of gigs, and still be left with residual nerve damage.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you've been to the same place and bounced back, your reassurance would be most welcome at the moment...[/font][/color]

Sorry to hear about this. I personally have not experienced CTS, but I regularly read of people who have, and have come out the other end, reasonably OK. All you can do is to follow professional advice.

It might be a good idea to let your band know that you may not be able to play those gigs. That way, they can have a dep on stand by.

Hope it does not come to this.

Best of luck. :)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1465557945' post='3069223']
...let your band know that you may not be able to play those gigs. That way, they can have a dep on stand by.
[/quote]

The guys already knew the risks, and have it covered if need be...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1465558056' post='3069226']
...Sometimes you have to be a real pain in the arse.
[/quote]

Agreed, and have been already! They say the only other option is to open it up again to investigate, which has an even higher risk of nerve damage if it hasn't already. On that basis I think best to hang fire and re-evaluate on Tuesday...

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1465558413' post='3069238']
This link may be of interest/use to you :

[url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/carpal-tunnel-syndrome-cts-info.922789/"]https://www.talkbass...ts-info.922789/[/url]
[/quote]

I'm glad I watched some of the video post operatively! Great link, thank you, I'll read properly later..

I have had the operation on my left hand and it went extremely smoothly. I was hoping, at some time in the future, to get the right operated on too. I have great sympathy for you and hopefully it's just inflammation and it will get better soon.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1465602728' post='3069663']
I have had the operation on my left hand and it went extremely smoothly. I was hoping, at some time in the future, to get the right operated on too. I have great sympathy for you and hopefully it's just inflammation and it will get better soon.
[/quote]

Yup, as said, I had might right done first, so had absolutely no concerns about its efficacy if all went to plan. i think if I had had this experience on my first op, I would never have considered getting the other one done!

As a brief update, I have maintained a fairly hefty dose of Naproxen (like Ibuprofen, but considerably stronger and prescription only), which helps control inflammation. I am no longer suffering the burning, numb pain, and while subjective, I think the numbness is [i]very[/i] slowly receding from hand towards fingertips.

As a long term CTS sufferer, I know that if I have successfully been able to release the pressure on the nerve, by stretching, flexing and "shaking out" my arms/hand, the symptoms disappear uniformly. So, to me, this progressive relief would seem a logical process of healing if the nerve had been pinched or damaged during the surgery, taking longer to repair at the furthest point. I can live with that as long as long as I get normal feeling back in a reasonable time (ie. within the time for the scar to heal).

On a positive note, this time the (different) surgeon dressed my wrist differently. Last time I was put in a splinted dressing, with a plaster cast inside it, to restrict movement. This time was just a fabric padded dressing, which has allowed slightly more movement. As a result I already have considerably better dexterity than last time.

Fingers crossed (I can already do that!) normal service will soon be restored...